Stranraer vs Airdrie

No thread until now again, which tells its own story! After the win against Brechin we're right back in it, but it would appear a deep-rooted apathy/cynicism persists among our support.

For the match itself it is on paper the least tricky we have left, which is not to say we can take anything for granted. We've managed to scrape a few narrow victories against Stranraer this season, but nothing that suggests we can comfortably bank these three points.

The same squad that started against Brechin for me, with perhaps Cissosko on the bench in place of Mackay. 

Last week indicated the skill and ability is there to do what we need to do to secure a play-off; it's more about organisation and attitude. If we don't show that at this stage then we don't deserve a sniff at a place in the championship.

I'm going for 1-2 to the Airdrie.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, OTL2014 said:

No thread until now again, which tells its own story! After the win against Brechin we're right back in it, but it would appear a deep-rooted apathy/cynicism persists among our support.

I know, and it's not like they even have a decent reason for being cynical :blink: 

2-1 home win, unbeaten in 2 games so due a loss and knowing our Jekyll and Hyde form this is a certain loss in an important game

4 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Starting to hope we've signed this guy on a 3 year deal,  sound amazing tbh.

Wouldn't go that far and presume you're being sarcastic - but giving him 20 minutes off the bench might help prove or disprove his worth.

7 minutes ago, OTL2014 said:

Wouldn't go that far and presume you're being sarcastic - but giving him 20 minutes off the bench might help prove or disprove his worth.

Why bother? Is not like we are screaming out for extra firepower is it? Now if it had been a nippy winger or a towering mobile centre back who could tackle and/ or head a ball with optional marking abilities I could see why you are so keen for him to get a game.

18 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Why bother? Now if it had been a nippy winger or a towering mobile centre back who could tackle and/ or head a ball with optional marking abilities I could see why you are so keen for him to get a game.

Watched young Deano the other night for the 20s.   The boy cracked a superb long pass that had Wilson purring,  he is decent in the air too and he knkws how to tackle.    He is a skinny big galloot though and I'd suggest he hits the gym.   Biggest downfall for me though is his mindset.  He likes to have a tantrum regularly and needs to control himself.    He is 19 and maybe not too far away from a push if he can get more control.

Aaran Ross is a fair bit younger but could be a a real prospect in a year or so.   More of a sweeper type and reader of the game than deano.

We really could develop some defenders for ourselves.

33 minutes ago, OTL2014 said:

Well if he impressed enough in the 20s games that would be a next step.   

But remember you're judging the 26 year old who was playing against teenage amateur defenders and goalie.   And both Cairns and Boateng carried as much goal threat from CD and CDM positions.

Btw, my last word on the two u20s games I've watched lately.   Donald Doolittle and his sidekick are utterly horrendous.    We have some good kids who retain some ability but aren't advancing. There is no leadership, the team as a whole are struggling.  We need shot of those assclowns asap.

Also,  the team have looked better using a 343/352 formation.   Why is Doolittle playing a 442 (with midfield diamond)?    Despite the 4-2 win, Rovers were far more impressive.   Airdrie had a lot of misfortune with the 2nd half wind behind us.  Rovers were using the wings, Donald ended up with CDMs in wide mid positions.   Very unimpressive.

Just now, waysider said:

If Cissosko (or whatever his name is) is 6 feet 5 we could play him at centre back!

Good guess.  

We tried that with Boateng and it worked well.    Maybe we can scout and develop defenders who can defend?    Kidd was 5'10, as was Sandison and Honor.  Boyle was 5'5" in platforms and was a better  centre half than Boateng.   McKeown was 5'9" as was Paul Jack.

Yeah let's scout height charts rather than defenders...

2 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Good guess.  

We tried that with Boateng and it worked well.    Maybe we can scout and develop defenders who can defend?    Kidd was 5'10, as was Sandison and Honor.  Boyle was 5'5" in platforms and was a better  centre half than Boateng.   McKeown was 5'9" as was Paul Jack.

Yeah let's scout height charts rather than defenders...

Lighten up. Jokes seem above your head. You obviously aren't 6 feet 5  (that was a joke as well).

46 minutes ago, WeeDiamond90 said:

Why bother? Is not like we are screaming out for extra firepower is it? Now if it had been a nippy winger or a towering mobile centre back who could tackle and/ or head a ball with optional marking abilities I could see why you are so keen for him to get a game.

Not overly bothered about giving him a game. But he appears to be on the books now and I'd prefer to see how he shapes up than giving Mackay another run out.

18 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Btw, my last word on the two u20s games I've watched lately.   Donald Doolittle and his sidekick are utterly horrendous.    We have some good kids who retain some ability but aren't advancing. There is no leadership, the team as a whole are struggling.  We need shot of those assclowns asap.

Also,  the team have looked better using a 343/352 formation.   Why is Doolittle playing a 442 (with midfield diamond)?    Despite the 4-2 win, Rovers were far more impressive.   Airdrie had a lot of misfortune with the 2nd half wind behind us.  Rovers were using the wings, Donald ended up with CDMs in wide mid positions.   Very unimpressive.

The lack of leadership runs the length and breadth of the club

12 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

So has the boy Cissosko signed (not sure if that's the correct pronunciation)

No official confirmation but the fact he is being named rather than listed as a trials indicates he has?

6 hours ago, OTL2014 said:

No official confirmation but the fact he is being named rather than listed as a trials indicates he has?

Why would he be signed?  We dont need to sp*nk more wages we can't afford on Taylor Morgan the 2nd?    He was only "named" on a club twitter feed.   The club would have announced it

Don't really get Diamonds confidence here as we need the 3 points just as much as them and we won at that horrendous all weather stuff in Airdrie just recently ,pretty comfortable too.We miss a couple of influential players,captain Steven Bell especially,but our recent home form is good and if we can get our noses in front fancy us to win.:whistle

Archived