Looking for info. about my uncle Andy Donaldson who played in the 40's and 50;s

David300454

Hi

I am looking for info about my uncle Andy Donaldson who played junior in 40's and 50's. What I know is that he played in 1949 cup final for Petershill who lost 3.2 to Auchinleck ; he played in 1944 final for Perthshire  who won 1.0. Also think that he played for Bo'ness, one of the Maryhill teams and several others. Also remember he won a cap for Scotland but unsure of dates.

Thanks

Anyone with information please contact me - David Donaldson

3 hours ago, David300454 said:

Hi

I am looking for info about my uncle Andy Donaldson who played junior in 40's and 50's. What I know is that he played in 1949 cup final for Petershill who lost 3.2 to Auchinleck ; he played in 1944 final for Perthshire  who won 1.0. Also think that he played for Bo'ness, one of the Maryhill teams and several others. Also remember he won a cap for Scotland but unsure of dates.

Thanks

You aren't going to get much response posting it in the "Newcomers Forum" nobody generally visits (I only caught sight of it because it came up as a new topic on the right side briefly).

Try posting on the Infowire forum Infowire

Or better still, post it on the Scottishleague.net site which is an absolute haven for football historians. Someone there will know. Scottish League Forum

• 5 months later...

I cannot add much more. As you know he played for Glasgow Perthshire when they beat Blantyre Victoria 1:0 in the 1944 Junior Cup Final. In 1944 there is mention of a forward “Donaldson (Glasgow Perthshire)” playing some war-time football at Heart of Midlothian. I have not checked this out but if it is him he may have played some trial matches.

The Petershill Centenary book says Andrew Donaldson played for Petershill in the 1947/48 and 1948/49 seasons. He was in the team that won Section B of the Central League, the Maryhill Charity Cup and the North Eastern Cup in 1947/48. In 1948/49 he was in the side that retained the Maryhill Charity Cup and he played at inside right in the 1949 Junior Cup Final when they lost 2:3 to Auchinleck Talbot (Att. 68,937).

He played at Bellshill Athletic in the 1951/52 season before moving to Bo’ness United for £100 in July 1952. In 1951/52 Bellshill were runners-up in the Central League and winners of both the Lanark Challenge and Lanarkshire Cups.

I cannot find him as a Junior International. However, the selectors picked a reserve XI alongside the team and named one of those reserve players as the travelling reserve. Any late call-offs in the days before the game were replaced by the player in their position in the reserve XI. An injured player immediately before the match was replaced by the travelling reserve. The newspaper reports were not always clear when a player was replaced and hence the XI that actually took the field. If you have any more information on his Junior Scotland match I would be happy to look further.

• 4 months later...
On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:46, David300454 said:

Hi

Thanks

Just noticed this, as normally only on Junior forum.

I have an A Donaldson joining Bo'ness from Petershill in July 1950.  He only played 3 games scoring 1 goal and left for Largs Thistle in September 1950.

I also have an Andy Donaldson, who Bo'ness signed from Bellshill in July 1952.  He stayed the whole season and played 35 times scoring 11 goals.  He was freed in June 1953.

More than likely the same player but cannot confirm that.

Archived