Match Videographer's Discussion Group

Guest Bonnyrigg Vid

Guest Bonnyrigg Vid

Hi guys.

I am Bonnyrigg Rose's official Videographer and at home games and on my travels I have met other people who video matches for their clubs and thought it would great for them to have their own  thread.

The thread is to discuss what equipment you use, what programs you use to edit your video etc and share any tips on the best way to video a game or pre/post match interviews etc.

I look forward to your participation in this thread.

Panasonic hc-x870 4K camcorder. Although only shooting in 1080p as no need for 4K at this moment.

Using a Manfrotto 502 tripod head on fancier legs. Best tripod head I've used.

Weather dependant I use a field monitor, makes filming easier as you get a better idea what size everything will be on the computer, I zoom in less which makes the game easier to follow in the highlights.

It's good to see clubs starting to provide raised areas for their video teams. It's not the easiest when your on the touch line filming. 

The most difficult places to film so far have been Newtongrange and Jeanfield/Dundonald. 

Yes I think it is brilliant work that these volunteers do to help promote Junior Football and Football clubs. I would ask the volunteers in order to enhance their productions that they consider the following:-

1)  Obviously refrain from using the obvious word obviously when obviously interviewing the obvious participants after the obvious game. 

My old  headmaster obviously Johnny Christie at obviously Bonnyrigg Primary School In obviously Polton Street in obviously Bonnyrigg would obviously asked me to obviously refrain from obviously using the obviously awful word obvious in any obvious conversations.

2) I understand the time needed and taken in order to set up your equipment, and I do not know what is required to also provide any commentary. If commentary is going to be used would it not be fairer to also get the opposition team list and provide a fairer commentary. Also understanding where the allegiance of operative lies.

Obviously Yours obviously B D.

Obviously Thank You

I'm using my own Sony Handycam at the moment, though I've had access to a Sony NEX for around 70% of the season which makes a huge difference. Additionally I use a GoPro at one of the goalmouths, mounted on the stand behind the goal at home matches or as close to that at away matches. I used to use have a Kitvision Camera which was similar to a GoPro but it was sadly stolen at the end of last season.

I started off filming on my iPhone on a whim. Eventually moved onto the handycam about three years ago, via another camera whose names escapes me at the moment.

Likewise I started editing just on Movie Maker, it's ok as a very basic editor. Moved onto Premiere Pro and that's been a massive help in editing multiple tracks of footage and for integrating graphics.

I've started to dabble a little in After Effects to hopefully create some animations that can be used going forward.

The biggest thing is the time committed to it. It isn't just filming 90 minutes on a Saturday, it's the setup and preparation time during the week, the time taken to edit actually edit the footage, then to render it and upload it on a Saturday night/Sunday.

Guest Bonnyrigg Vid

I use a Nikon dslr d5300 with a 18mm-55mm lense  to video games. Great HD picture quality. The only downside unlike Digital Camcorders I have get  20 minutes videoing time and then have to restart recording again but I have not found this to be a problem. With a couple of minutes left I just wait till a break in play  to stop then restart. The reason for this apparently is that if you could record the whole game in one go on it would the manufacturers would have to be class it as a camcorder which makes the item more expensive.

I use a SGC-598 Video Shotgun Condenser Microphone which is great as I get no wind noise at all in my video recording since using this. 

A 32GB SD card is suffice for full game coverage and interviews etc. 

Standard sturdy tripod, nothing special.

I edit my video's using Cyberlink Power Director which is great. Takes about 1 hour give or take to render a  20 minute highlights video and then another 1/2 hour to upload to Youtube channel. This is the most time consuming part of the job. the editing, rendering and uploading but what can you do.

I am prettyhappy with my results using the equipment I have.

18 minutes ago, Bonnyrigg Vid said:

I use a Nikon dslr d5300 with a 18mm-55mm lense  to video games. Great HD picture quality. The only downside unlike Digital Camcorders I have get  20 minutes videoing time and then have to restart recording again but I have not found this to be a problem. With a couple of minutes left I just wait till a break in play  to stop then restart. The reason for this apparently is that if you could record the whole game in one go on it would the manufacturers would have to be class it as a camcorder which makes the item more expensive.

I use a SGC-598 Video Shotgun Condenser Microphone which is great as I get no wind noise at all in my video recording since using this. 

A 32GB SD card is suffice for full game coverage and interviews etc. 

Standard sturdy tripod, nothing special.

I edit my video's using Cyberlink Power Director which is great. Takes about 1 hour give or take to render a  20 minute highlights video and then another 1/2 hour to upload to Youtube channel. This is the most time consuming part of the job. the editing, rendering and uploading but what can you do.

I am prettyhappy with my results using the equipment I have.

Keep up the good work. Even when i'm at the game i can miss something so its good to watch the highlights

On 13/04/2017 at 10:20, bravehearts dad said:

Yes I think it is brilliant work that these volunteers do to help promote Junior Football and Football clubs. I would ask the volunteers in order to enhance their productions that they consider the following:-

1)  Obviously refrain from using the obvious word obviously when obviously interviewing the obvious participants after the obvious game. 

My old  headmaster obviously Johnny Christie at obviously Bonnyrigg Primary School In obviously Polton Street in obviously Bonnyrigg would obviously asked me to obviously refrain from obviously using the obviously awful word obvious in any obvious conversations.

2) I understand the time needed and taken in order to set up your equipment, and I do not know what is required to also provide any commentary. If commentary is going to be used would it not be fairer to also get the opposition team list and provide a fairer commentary. Also understanding where the allegiance of operative lies.

Obviously Yours obviously B D.

Obviously Thank You

You should obviously start putting in the effort to film the games and stay around to interview the players and then upload them for people like you to watch. 

For the Bonnyrigg video guy, there is a filming platform opposite the Mick Moran stand with a wee bit care you could get yourself into it, i always film from the stand it gives protection from the weather cause it can be a bit nippy, wet and windy down here.

For the Bonnyrigg video guy, there is a filming platform opposite the Mick Moran stand with a wee bit care you could get yourself into it, i always film from the stand it gives protection from the weather cause it can be a bit nippy, wet and windy down here.

Thanks, I'm going too start doing my hair now [emoji106][emoji23]

Guest Bonnyrigg Vid
On 14/04/2017 at 23:01, GLENAFTON93 said:

I used it yesterday but was warned at my own risk. It certainly was on the wobbly side but I survived.

Cheers

Made the wrong choice of side to film from at Broughty. Wind in the face, hailstones and others complete with nearly being blown over! Not the easiest days filming lol.

Lookingg forward to Sauchie next week and an almost tv esque vantage point to film from.

lol  You can just about get seasick filming from the platform due to its shake, rattle and rolling. Just watched your highlights first class as usual im  amazed you managed to get so many, wasnt the best game this season by any of the two teams.  Cause i loaned you our platform i take it you will be returning the favour at your place. lol

23 minutes ago, Bonnyrigg Vid said:

I used it yesterday but was warned at my own risk. It certainly was on the wobbly side but I survived.

Cheers

Guest Bonnyrigg Vid
5 minutes ago, GLENAFTON93 said:

lol  You can just about get seasick filming from the platform due to its shake, rattle and rolling. Just watched your highlights first class as usual im  amazed you managed to get so many, wasnt the best game this season by any of the two teams.  Cause i loaned you our platform i take it you will be returning the favour at your place. lol

There is a filming point behind the dugouts for away team videographers. Not a platform as such but a raised wooden area which you stand on and  you place your tripod on the dugouts roof.

Hope this is suffice.

Archived