Pie and Bovril - Most frightening posters in history

On 13/04/2017 at 21:36, Rugster said:

Which breakdown? He made a big acceptance speech when Craig Killie falsely listed him as #1 on the most influential posters, then attempted to say he was in on the joke and it was all a wind up when he had egg on his face big time. The other one was when he was lambasting posters for disgusting misogyny and sexism on the mumsnet thread, only to have it pointed out to him that he was vividly describing in his pie review thread how he was salivating at looking down a young girl's top at a pie stall. He's seldom been seen since that one.

I felt a little bit bad about that afterwards.  He wasn't supposed to be the butt of the joke - it was just an attempt to wind up the thick, angry reprobates who foam at the mouth at the sheer mention of VT.  I thought it would be funny to watch them revel in the failure of their nemesis, before revealing that he actually was the winner all along.

I didn't really like Big Gus as a poster, but he had a reasonable following due to that pie review that he did in the Championship forum, so he seemed like an obvious semi-plausible choice.  I'd assumed that he would be switched on enough to realise what was going on, given that VT, an obvious top 3 candidate, hadn't been listed yet.  I think I misjudged the effect the "success" of the pie thread had on his ego.

Edited by craigkillie

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Poor man's dundeebarry IMHO

One of the funniest things about his "acceptance speech" was how he very "humbly" paid tribute to Barry saying " a nod to Dundee Barry who's Leigh Griffiths blog started off my pie review idea" or words to that effect. A thread reviewing pies on a football forum vs a blog which ended up with Barry becoming a published author, nice "nod" there. 

The Big Gus thing was brilliant. He really thought he had won and he obviously thought he was some big fish on P+B given his tears after the truth was revealed, attempts to cover it up, subsequent breakdown/bitterness for the next year and eventually just disappearing from the site.

One of the funniest things about his "acceptance speech" was how he very "humbly" paid tribute to Barry saying " a nod to Dundee Barry who's Leigh Griffiths blog started off my pie review idea" or words to that effect. A thread reviewing pies on a football forum vs a blog which ended up with Barry becoming a published author, nice "nod" there. 

Did he not go on some bizarre rant about dundeebarry, not long before his munsnet fiasco?

You could tell he was intensely jealous of the man.

Did he not go on some bizarre rant about dundeebarry, not long before his munsnet fiasco?

You could tell he was intensely jealous of the man.

I can't remember that, but I do recall one of his breakdowns resulted in a hissy fit during which he informed us all that one of the Sunday papers was going to serialise his pie reviews.

Tbf the pie reviews themselves were a good laugh and pretty popular but weren't even close to Dundeebarry's work.

On 14/04/2017 at 21:48, Francesc Fabregas said:

The Phoenix is now the chairman at Stirling Albion and probably doesn't have the time to deal with the day-to-day fiddle-faddle of Pie and Bovril any more. He was a very decent man offline but, like so many others who participate in puns and an overuse of the ;) emoji, a bit tiresome on these boards.

Wait, what? The Phoenix is the Chairman who had the total meltdown about Clyde leaving a mess behind in the away dressing room at Forthbank? :lol:

Has Big Gus posted since the Mumsnet incident?

Anyone able to point a guy in the direction of these pie reviews, or provide an example?

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/229410-a-season-of-pies/

Eta: the p and b version have long since been deleted. I didn't actually realise he was posting it on several forums.

The P+B ones had suggestive comments about the women (or from my experience schoolgirls but Gus was happy they were women ) who worked in some of the snack bars. He then tried to have a go at the rest of us for being sexist in the Mumsnet thread (which in my opinion was in the top 5 of P+B threads ever).

The Mumsnet thread was a ginormous "Minter" (believe it was there that phrase was popularised on P&B) for just about everyone involved. Nobody came out of that eyebleedfest looking good...except Sparkling Brook's tits.

The P+B ones had suggestive comments about the women (or from my experience schoolgirls but Gus was happy they were women ) who worked in some of the snack bars. He then tried to have a go at the rest of us for being sexist in the Mumsnet thread (which in my opinion was in the top 5 of P+B threads ever).

That was genuinely hilarious.

Pretty much the P&B equivalent of one of those losers you see on Facebook agreeing with everything a full time mummy posts in the hope of getting noticed.

The Mumsnet thread was a ginormous "Minter" (believe it was there that phrase was popularised on P&B) for just about everyone involved. Nobody came out of that eyebleedfest looking good...except Sparkling Brook's tits.

And itzdrk for his placenta soup or whatever it was. Glorious.