Gardening Query

Needing to turf my garden. Simple question, anyone put down artificial turf recently and would you recommend this as opposed to real grass? Pros and cons for both I suppose, but looking for some advice based on experience.

Thank you.

If you or any of your neighbours smoke then that is something to consider, girl from my work got it (and loves it) but her neighbours had a party and people flicked some fag ends over the fence and it left marks on the turf.

If you have pets then cleaning up the shit is another consideration.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

If you or any of your neighbours smoke then that is something to consider, girl from my work got it (and loves it) but her neighbours had a party and people flicked some fag ends over the fence and it left marks on the turf.

If you have pets then cleaning up the shit is another consideration.

Cheers. No pets, no smokers. Bird shit can be a problem to clean up I have heard right enough. It's around double the price of turf but I hate cutting grass, would need to buy a lawnmower, and worry about weeds and it looking shit. Good artificial stuff looks great. I'm undecided on it.

9 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

The neighbours either side of me have put down artificial grass in the last year.

As a bit of a Michael Paine it looked like a relatively straightforward process and being a boring git I mentioned it in the passing.

Anyway both waxed lyrical about it.  And it does look quite good.

Pros  no more grass cutting, no more lawnmowers, no more soggy gardens, no cat shit. Time saved.

Cons  Em can't think of any.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Mine is pretty good with literally no maintenance, although it was fairly expensive. No issues other than last bonfire night a firework landed on it, resulting in a small burn mark.

Yeah it does look much more expensive, but I suppose when you add in buying a lawnmower, and time/hassle maintaining it, it is probably worth it. I want it to look good all year round and pretty much want to have to do f**k all to it once it's laid. :lol: Looks pretty easy to put down too as opposed to laying real turf. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Don't let any Celtic fans play football on it as they'll only use it as an excuse if they get beat. 

@Daviebhoy 

No ***s near it either after they threw a flare onto our pitch and caused thousands of pounds worth of damage.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Starting threads about gardening is a sign of the slow inevitable decline into middle age.  The you get old (like me).  Then you die.

Hope that helps.  :)

If you're not here to offer advice on the choice between artificial and real turf then if you could hurry up with the last bit of your post that would help. 

Thank you

We had our garden turfed last month, I much prefer natural grass on aesthetic grounds.  Haven't had to cut it yet though.  It's really just personal preference though - maybe artificial could be better as you'll no doubt have your sprog's toys, trampolines etc all over it in the next few years.

Cheers. No pets, no smokers. Bird shit can be a problem to clean up I have heard right enough. It's around double the price of turf but I hate cutting grass, would need to buy a lawnmower, and worry about weeds and it looking shit. Good artificial stuff looks great. I'm undecided on it.

I have considered it too but with a dog and a cat I've decided against it.

Hate cutting the grass as well. My house has quite a big garden too but terrible drainage and is always wet so it's a real pain in the arse.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Starting threads about gardening is a sign of the slow inevitable decline into middle age.  The you get old (like me).  Then you die.

Hope that helps.  :)

Hadn't thought of that.  You'd have to re-turf the whole garden or put up with a coffin-shaped outline forever.

24 minutes ago, Rugster said:

If you're not here to offer advice on the choice between artificial and real turf then if you could hurry up with the last bit of your post that would help. 

Thank you

I have a gardener so I don't have to worry about such matters and subsequently am not in a position to offer advice.  Only the good die young so I'll be around for a fair bit yet.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have a gardener so I don't have to worry about such matters and subsequently am not in a position to offer advice.  Only the good die young so I'll be around for a fair bit yet.

Kindly GTF out of the thread then and find a thread offering advice on being a bum of f**k.

Thank you.

Grass plants are 70-80% water apparently so they must soak up a lot of rain. If everybody put artificial grass down with all that excess water not soaked up by natural grass we could drown low lying places like Paisley and Perth.

So no cons there then!

Neighbours next to me have it due to their dogs - easier to lift their shit.

Causes no end of problems for us with water run off down into our garden - top part is a bog now.

Even though it has drain holes it's not enough.

The fact that they built a fence & put the posts in with concrete doesn't help.

I'd incinerate the fecking stuff if I could.

7 hours ago, Rugster said:

Needing to turf my garden. Simple question, anyone put down artificial turf recently and would you recommend this as opposed to real grass?

How can wee Catherine and her pals make daisy chains or the 'do you like butter' thing if the gairden consists of astroturf?

Either put down a proper lawn or buy a flat.