Clyde v Elgin

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed one of our idiotic fans on Twitter using the nickname "shagger" for our resident rapist. Has this caught on? I would like to think that at least a few of our fans didn't celebrate his goals but that may be too much to ask

Seemed unbelievable that we went into half time 2-0 down. I reckon City had 3 chances (one a gift from us). I lost count of our chances. It did seem likely we would make some sort of comeback, but didnt quite expect the win. I'll take it.

BTW, where did all the injury time come from. I made it 4:54 when he blew.

Seemed unbelievable that we went into half time 2-0 down. I reckon City had 3 chances (one a gift from us). I lost count of our chances. It did seem likely we would make some sort of comeback, but didnt quite expect the win. I'll take it.

Only thing I can think was he thought we had wasted time goal kicks etc

Didn't see it myself

14 minutes ago, Garrowhillclyde said:

The game did kick off about 3:03 today but I did think myself there was still a fair bit of injury time.

The defending from both teams was absolutely horrendous. Not the easiest conditions with the wind but that's no excuse for some of the errors, under very little pressure, that both teams made. Over the 90 minutes we were better than Elgin and deserved to win the game, even if it was nervy at the end.

Gourlay was terrific again and has been a class apart from the other 5 goalies we've used this year. Smith had a decent game, the other two were better second half than first. Waddell has everything to be a great centre half at this level but he's now made that same, inexplicable, mistake three times in three games. It's bizarre. Elgin set up to defend, with a packed midfield, and gifting a lead like that was the only way they were going to get in front. Fortunately they were dreadful at defending their lead, getting caught high up the pitch and leaving too much space between full-back and centre half on both sides.

McLaughlin, like last week, was poor (being kind there) until we had the lead and then he was terrific in seeing the game out. Flynn was in and out but his closing down was much better this week than last. McGovern was my MotM outside of the obvious; always pressing, always looking to pass forward. I don't know anything about his fitness a month or two ago but the difference he's made has been incredible. All three wingbacks were ineffective, Ferguson in particular had a nightmare defensively, slicing clearances and presenting a sitter to Elgin right after the penalty miss.

Gormley had one of those days where none of his limbs seemed to be working in sync with his brain but as I've said before, he's a nuisance to play against. Goodwillie was class. Wee step-over first half, sending McHardy flying with a wee nudge, three well taken goals. Touches of real quality all over the place. 

Some awful play at times from both teams but an absolutely brilliant 90 minutes. Controversy, aggression, errors and some decent football. Will take that every week.

There was only about 4 minutes stoppage time. He was pushing it a bit but given the ball was out of play for most of the first three minutes it's maybe no surprise there was a wee bit extra added. I thought he was excellent in the Berwick 3-2 game but had a nightmare today. I did think that Gormley handled it at the penalty though.

27 minutes ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

I noticed one of our idiotic fans on Twitter using the nickname "shagger" for our resident rapist. Has this caught on? I would like to think that at least a few of our fans didn't celebrate his goals but that may be too much to ask

Stupid comment on a Twitter that. However, there are far too many people IMO prepared to jump on the bandwagon of outrage about his signing. Sure, what he was found guilty of is abhorrent. However, where was the furore when we signed a convicted drug dealer ? Or didn't sack a convicted flasher ? People will say that he hasn't been punished, suffered or shown remorse. How do they know ? His career has certainly suffered and is all but over it would seem. And from what I understand he is appealing the judgement of the court so perhaps he feels that he can't show remorse because he thinks he isn't guilty. Should he not be entitled to make a living using the ability he has ? Remember the total outrage when Ched Evans tried to play football again after his release from prison ? His football career was destroyed and it turned out he was innocent all along !

I'm not saying people shouldn't have opinions but these situations are often not black and white. and for the avoidance of doubt, I did cheer when he scored. 

I couldn't believe that we were 2 down at half time, but I guess that's the reason we are in the position we are in. Two absolute gifts of goals. Apart from that, Elgin offered little while we found ourselves in excellent positions time and again but couldn't find the final ball. 

A crazy spell in the second half saw Goodwillie turn the game. His composure with the 2nd and 3rd showed him in a class apart from anyone else on the park. Credit to Elgin though for showing that they can defend every bit as bad as Clyde ! 

Good penalty save from Gourley. As for the penalty, it did seem to bounce up and hit Gormley's hand, but is it not meant to be deliberate !?

Huge win and just as well given the other results. This is going to go down to the wire. 

Great to enjoy a game of football with lots of action and a positive outcome. Goodwillie proved a class above, and it was very satisfying shutting these irritating Elgin kids up!

Keep it going guys!

23 minutes ago, sydney said:

Sure, what he was found guilty of 

When did this happen? 

Civil cases are notorious for passing unsafe judgements due to the very nature of them - one person goes by a hunch

No criminal proceedings were brought for two reasons. First the allegation was uncorroborated - not unusual and understandable. However there was no other form of evidence sufficient to prosecute

I don't know what happened and neither does anyone reading this. However, be an idea people don't casually throw away an important principle of law because they don't understand it sufficiently. You never know what's ahead and when you might need it

But to be crystal clear, he is not a convicted "anything" .  If people still feel uncomfortable him being at the club, that's fair enough, that's a personal decision, but there's been some amount of ignorance shown on this particular case in relation to facts. I'm not at all surprised he's appealing the case and thought so long before he joined us.

It is a horrendous offence, but we're in very dangerous waters if we just assume guilt based on a civil verdict

On a lighter note, great comeback and hopefully it gives the lads the confidence to push on from here. Looks like it's going down to the wire

2 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

When did this happen? 

Civil cases are notorious for passing unsafe judgements due to the very nature of them - one person goes by a hunch

No criminal proceedings were brought for two reasons. First the allegation was uncorroborated - not unusual and understandable. However there was no other form of evidence sufficient to prosecute

I don't know what happened and neither does anyone reading this. However, be an idea people don't casually throw away an important principle of law because they don't understand it sufficiently. You never know what's ahead and when you might need it

But to be crystal clear, he is not a convicted "anything" .  If people still feel uncomfortable him being at the club, that's fair enough, that's a personal decision, but there's been some amount of ignorance shown on this particular case in relation to facts. I'm not at all surprised he's appealing the case and thought so long before he joined us.

It is a horrendous offence, but we're in very dangerous waters if we just assume guilt based on a civil verdict

On a lighter note, great comeback and hopefully it gives the lads the confidence to push on from here. Looks like it's going down to the wire

BC, I know why you've asked the question and this is why I phrased it in the way I did. He was judged (on the balance of probability) by a civil court to have carried out the alleged offence. No criminal case has ever been brought. 

My precise point was that people seem to suffer from attacks of selective morality. Matt Flynn is a convicted criminal and has been in prison. Isn't drug dealing an offence worthy of some outrage ? My view btw is that he has paid for his crime and should be allowed to make a living. Equally David Goodwillie's case is still ongoing as he has appealed in an effort to clear his name. Should he not be allowed to make a living ? Ultimately, the only people who will ever know what happened are Goodwillie, Robertson and the woman involved. 

Question for the Elgin fans. What was the celebration at your first goal all about ? 

Fair play to you getting behind your team and creating a bit of noise. You did go a wee bit quiet in the second half though :P

Archived