What is the greatest sport technically?

Dindeleux

22 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's a strong contender.

Of course the bowlers only need hours of concentration it they're having a bad game.

Yes, and there is less of a consequence to a bowler's mistake. A bad ball goes for four, a bad shot ends the batsman's innings.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sports that measure up best to the definition of “technical” in the OP are essentially ones where there’s a minimum of interaction with your opponent.

The impressive achievements of a hole in one, a nine dart finish or a 147 break are no more technically difficult when playing against a champion than against a duffer.

These are sports where glimpses of perfection are possible. In more complicated games it’s impossible to even imagine what it would be

Obviously two perfect football teams would draw against each other but would both perfect defenses keep clean sheets. Or would perfect teams score straight from every kickoff

Baseball,

Pitching- learning different pitches and consistently having to get them right. The actual area a pitcher has to throw into is tiny. Consistently hitting that spot requires a huge amount of technical ability. Changing with left or right batters. Then theres learning to manage runners possibly stealing bases, the technicality in letting the likes of Aaron Judge take a walk on first rather than a 3 run h/r when you’re two up bottom of the 8th etc. Its an incredibly technical sport and thats just 1 position. There is a huge amount of tactics involved as well as due to the strain on muscle pitchers need to be rotated, so coaches have to get this absolutely spot on.

Catchers and infielders need to learn their position and also how to cross cover . They have to study tape on where hitters are putting the ball, how likely they are to try steal bases, be constantly alert whilst on the field. Then there’s positions like short stop which are even more technical. Catchers have to be able to call a pitch read the batter, the infield and wind/weather conditions etc.

Outfield theres a great degree of athleticism needed to catch balls that look destined for a home run (just have a look at some of the best mlb catches on youtube). Theres a technical aspect to this as well as the outfielders again have to read constantly which bases are loaded where the ball needs to go which can change very quickly.

Batting as well incredibly complicated, getting a swing, reading a pitch, getting signals from the 3rd base coach etc all in an incredibly short period of time whilst trying to hit a tiny ball thrown at 90-100mph or indeed deciding whether or not its an actual good pitch.

Then the technical stuff behind base running, getting your angle right, stealing bases, reading the hitter, when to run etc.

On 10/04/2017 at 19:58, dundeefc1783 said:

Very good shout and certainly the most dangerous of what's been mentioned so far.

Whilst some sports like golf might have more technical intricacies the concentration levels of these boys in the TT is staggering. The mental fatigue after one of those races must be unreal. As has been said before one slight mistake and there is a chance you are dead.

Would highly recommend Closer to the Edge for anyone who hasn't seen. Michael Dunlop is an absolute genius on a super bike.

T he iom tt must be right at the top Not just for the mental fatigue the physical effort it must take to ride a 1000cc superbike flat out for 226 miles non stop with just two 30 secs stops to take on fuel  must be something else  The sidecar crews bodies get such a pounding doing the TT that they are pissing out blood for weeks after it Closer to the edge is a brilliant insight to the TT Every time i see that opening scene where the riders are on the grid describing what is about to happen and the reason that they do it  i can feel my stomach tingling  

6 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Baseball,

Pitching- learning different pitches and consistently having to get them right. The actual area a pitcher has to throw into is tiny. Consistently hitting that spot requires a huge amount of technical ability. Changing with left or right batters. Then theres learning to manage runners possibly stealing bases, the technicality in letting the likes of Aaron Judge take a walk on first rather than a 3 run h/r when you’re two up bottom of the 8th etc. Its an incredibly technical sport and thats just 1 position. There is a huge amount of tactics involved as well as due to the strain on muscle pitchers need to be rotated, so coaches have to get this absolutely spot on.

Catchers and infielders need to learn their position and also how to cross cover . They have to study tape on where hitters are putting the ball, how likely they are to try steal bases, be constantly alert whilst on the field. Then there’s positions like short stop which are even more technical. Catchers have to be able to call a pitch read the batter, the infield and wind/weather conditions etc.

Outfield theres a great degree of athleticism needed to catch balls that look destined for a home run (just have a look at some of the best mlb catches on youtube). Theres a technical aspect to this as well as the outfielders again have to read constantly which bases are loaded where the ball needs to go which can change very quickly.

Batting as well incredibly complicated, getting a swing, reading a pitch, getting signals from the 3rd base coach etc all in an incredibly short period of time whilst trying to hit a tiny ball thrown at 90-100mph or indeed deciding whether or not its an actual good pitch.

Then the technical stuff behind base running, getting your angle right, stealing bases, reading the hitter, when to run etc.

It’s rounders.

• 5 months later...
Is this a woosh because indoor is far harder than outdoor!!!
I'll go.along with this, I've been pretty decent at outdoor, won multiple club championships, played county, numerous Scottish finals, but Indoor I've only ever really played in the Scottish premier league and won 2 titles at the indoor I was a member of, you can have a few weeks off outdoor and barely miss a beat, but 2 weeks away from indoor is very telling when you return.

I'll go.along with this, I've been pretty decent at outdoor, won multiple club championships, played county, numerous Scottish finals, but Indoor I've only ever really played in the Scottish premier league and won 2 titles at the indoor I was a member of, you can have a few weeks off outdoor and barely miss a beat, but 2 weeks away from indoor is very telling when you return.
I will 100 % agree with you. My 13 year old son has won pairs at Northfield, Andy Houston trophy, won his clubs under25s and youth championship...... he's horrific indoor!!!

I will 100 % agree with you. My 13 year old son has won pairs at Northfield, Andy Houston trophy, won his clubs under25s and youth championship...... he's horrific indoor!!!
I got beat in the triples final at Northfield 2 years on the trot (2013 & 14) qualified again in '15 and broke ma hand 2 weeks before the finals started. 2nd year we were 7up with 4 to play and lost it [emoji24], horrible. My old man won the senior rinks there this year.
What club you play out of?

I got beat in the triples final at Northfield 2 years on the trot (2013 & 14) qualified again in '15 and broke ma hand 2 weeks before the finals started. 2nd year we were 7up with 4 to play and lost it [emoji24], horrible. My old man won the senior rinks there this year.
What club you play out of?
Ouch, its a fantastic week. Hopefully you break the run of bad luck and win it the next time you qualify. He bowls at a place in East lothian called port seton. He's going into his first season indoor this year. Where do you bowl? Me personally i bowl at Haddington.

Ouch, its a fantastic week. Hopefully you break the run of bad luck and win it the next time you qualify. He bowls at a place in East lothian called port seton. He's going into his first season indoor this year. Where do you bowl? Me personally i bowl at Haddington.
Cockenzie and Port Seton?? Know it well mate, and Haddington. EL is always pretty competitive. I was at a club called Airdrie Central, and played Coatbridge indoor, but I've chucked bowls altogether now, head was absolutely wasted for a bit and ended up just chucking a lot of stuff. Who knows, might get back into it one day though.

Cockenzie and Port Seton?? Know it well mate, and Haddington. EL is always pretty competitive. I was at a club called Airdrie Central, and played Coatbridge indoor, but I've chucked bowls altogether now, head was absolutely wasted for a bit and ended up just chucking a lot of stuff. Who knows, might get back into it one day though.
Yes mate cockenzie and port seton. Lovely club and the youth set up is fantastic, loads of internationalist bowlers coach kids when free. Yes its a very tough district to qualify through. Aye you should mate because sounds like you were good at it.

• 2 months later...

Boxing, in the weights from light, welter to middle they are all technically asute. Terrence Crawford and errol spence being the prime examples. The further you up the weights it becomes more about power and durability. Except tyson fury, no power but he very rarely gets hit or put down, is it only 3 times in the heavyweight division and that's pretty damn good

Archived