Few general questions

Karpaty

How reliable is price comparison sites via Skyscanner? I've scoped out a route with a price and it was on Skyscanner via omegaflightstore - how reliable is these?

If I book a route say easyJet Glasgow-London Luton and then Luton - Kyiv directly from both airlines websites, would it be a case of showing both at Glasgow check in so at Luton they would forward my luggage onto the Kyiv flight and I would stay in departures or would I have to collect luggage, go around to departures and do the whole thing again?

I am looking to get a replacement passport (current one has water damage from a few years ago, I would say 50/50 it's fit for but don't want to take the risk). I take it the passport number would be different? I'm looking to book flights next week but it'll take 4+ weeks for the passport to arrive.

I'm such a novice. 

46 minutes ago, Chris_DK said:

How reliable is price comparison sites via Skyscanner? I've scoped out a route with a price and it was on Skyscanner via omegaflightstore - how reliable is these?

If I book a route say easyJet Glasgow-London Luton and then Luton - Kyiv directly from both airlines websites, would it be a case of showing both at Glasgow check in so at Luton they would forward my luggage onto the Kyiv flight and I would stay in departures or would I have to collect luggage, go around to departures and do the whole thing again?

I am looking to get a replacement passport (current one has water damage from a few years ago, I would say 50/50 it's fit for but don't want to take the risk). I take it the passport number would be different? I'm looking to book flights next week but it'll take 4+ weeks for the passport to arrive.

I'm such a novice. 

They they are fine,however the price sometimes changes when you go to the actual site that skyscanner is getting the info from.It will change by next week (maybe up/maybe down)

Nope its separate flights,pick up your luggage,remember this costs extra with easy jet,so check your booking includes luggage for all flights and go around and re check in

If you go down the new passport route its a new number,its not a problem until you check in so no problem on that front

The baggage will depend on whether or not they are code sharers.

I went to Australia from Glasgow via London (it was cheaper that way) and even though it was two separate bookings they took my luggage at Glasgow and I didn't see it until Australia as the two airlines were part of what ever the technical term is for a group of aligned companies.

....when checking in, always tell them your final destination as well as your current destination (if they differ) and see if they will put the bags straight trough, picking bags up between flights is a pain in the arse so always best to ask.

3 hours ago, Chris_DK said:

I'm such a novice. 

Skyscanner is a good starting point but especially if you're travelling beyond Western Europe you should investigate alternate routes. When I went to the Scotland game in Georgia it only gave via Istanbul and Kiev options, saved a fortune by going via Warsaw. I looked at all the places flying out of Tbilisi and took it from there.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to exit and then go back through security at Luton, don't think Easyjet code share with anyone and they're too cheap to bother treating your bags differently from anyone else.

You might have bother with the passport if you need to give the number when buying the tickets. If so, I'd phone up the airlines to check what to do. If it's a straightforward passport replacement it shouldn't take more than a week, they say 4 weeks to make it look like they're exceeding their targets.

P.S. Might be worth checking out Wizz Air Glasgow to Gdansk, Gdansk to Kiev. They might transfer the bags for you in Gdansk if the times match up. You could change at another few places with them if the times don't work at Gdansk.

Also KLM via Amsterdam, though that might be more expensive, looks like £200. They would definitely transfer your bags though and Schipol's great as everyone says. Free snacks and drinks on board too. That would be my option if it's not much more expensive. Luton's horrible.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

P.S. Might be worth checking out Wizz Air Glasgow to Gdansk, Gdansk to Kiev. They might transfer the bags for you in Gdansk if the times match up. You could change at another few places with them if the times don't work at Gdansk.

Also KLM via Amsterdam, though that might be more expensive, looks like £200. They would definitely transfer your bags though and Schipol's great as everyone says. Free snacks and drinks on board too. That would be my option if it's not much more expensive. Luton's horrible.

Last year I did Glasgow-Paris-Kyiv and via Amsterdam on the way back. It worked out well enough apart from Paris not putting my luggage on the Kyiv flight but it was reasonably priced. Can't seem to find that route this time round and all in I'm looking at about £330. 

There is all sorts of indirect ways - Glasgow - Warsaw - Lviv even but the times are rubbish. Nearly £100 on the train from eastern Poland to Lviv as well according to the site I checked. 

I've done the Wizz air London-Kyiv and it was fine I thought. 

I'll look at the Gdansk route. Cheers. 

Omega flight store are fucking wanks man. I made the mistake of using them a couple of years ago for a BA return flight from Glasgow to Chicago via Heathrow and I had to come home early, so wanted to rebook my flights. Their customer service was a fucking shambles, c***s in a call centre, probably in India, who could barely string a sentence together. Buyer beware. I just ended up forking out 250 quid to fly home via Amsterdam. 

Use Skyscanner to identify your routes but book directly with the airline. Third party sites such as Omega and eDreams do not have live pricing. Before booking with any third party mob have a look at their reviews on the web, some are absolutely horrific.

Should have said I'll be going late June/early July, probably hence the prices. Think I'll book outward Luton-Kyiv for now and see what happens. I'll be spending most time in Lviv anyway so can easily jaunt over to Poland on the way back. 

As mentioned above use Skyscanner as a starting point but always book through the airlines direct. 

That 50 quid you might save with one of these 3rd party jokers is blown right out the window if something goes wrong with your booking or you want to change anything. You will more than likely lose all your money. 

12 hours ago, Chris_DK said:

Should have said I'll be going late June/early July, probably hence the prices. Think I'll book outward Luton-Kyiv for now and see what happens. I'll be spending most time in Lviv anyway so can easily jaunt over to Poland on the way back. 

An alternative would be Ryanair Glasgow to Wroclaw and Wizzair Wroclaw to Lviv. For some reason Wroclaw to Glasgow is much cheaper than Glasgow to Wroclaw, so maybe just use that route on the way back.

Something i always do when im booking flights.I always have a look just from london aswell as up here (obviously depends on where your going )As its relatively cheap and easy to get a flight down from up here.

On 4/10/2017 at 07:35, drs said:

The baggage will depend on whether or not they are code sharers.

I went to Australia from Glasgow via London (it was cheaper that way) and even though it was two separate bookings they took my luggage at Glasgow and I didn't see it until Australia as the two airlines were part of what ever the technical term is for a group of aligned companies.

....when checking in, always tell them your final destination as well as your current destination (if they differ) and see if they will put the bags straight trough, picking bags up between flights is a pain in the arse so always best to ask.

I don't think EasyJet does any codeshares or connections, they treat each individual segment as a separate flight so won't forward bags.  I may be wrong on that (for EasyJet) but I know that Ryanair does that, as do the ULCC's here in North America (such as Spirit).

41 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I don't think EasyJet does any codeshares or connections, they treat each individual segment as a separate flight so won't forward bags.  I may be wrong on that (for EasyJet) but I know that Ryanair does that, as do the ULCC's here in North America (such as Spirit).

You are correct

• 1 month later...

Good shout on the passport Welsh Bairn, like a fanny I left it until last week to get the form sent away (I travel in three weeks time) but apparently it's been dispatched. 

I'm going Kyiv-Gdansk-Glasgow both with Wizzair but I can't seem to get a straightforward connection, I'm having to get two separate tickets and collect/re check in at Gdansk. I assume Gdansk airport is small but as it's the same airline I don't understand why they can't just forward the luggage on. 

Archived