Worst sayings in Scottish Football

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He's a real football man" - usually code for "he's my mate" or "he's kicked around football for donkeys years and is a complete dinosaur but I hate anything new so he should get a job".

Just now, ICTChris said:

"He's a real football man" - usually code for "he's my mate" or "he's kicked around football for donkeys years and is a complete dinosaur but I hate anything new so he should get a job".

aka i respect his pervertedness

"We all know Scottish football's in a bad way" yadda yadda yadda, starting out with that point and not opening the door for a positive case. 

All of what is being said above is basically Sportsound rhetoric. The lack of competition in broadcasting is allowing lazy journalism to become all we hear and it affects how you see Scottish football. If we had a vibrant, intelligent sports broadcasting service who talked up the game, and avoided pandering and banal cliches, Scottish football would be better for it. 

"Just about did enough"  - when he obviously did do enough.

" A bad goal to lose from our point of view"  - seems to apply to every goal conceded.

"The things he does in training "  - which he can't recreate during a match it seems.

29 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

"We all know Scottish football's in a bad way" yadda yadda yadda, starting out with that point and not opening the door for a positive case. 

All of what is being said above is basically Sportsound rhetoric. The lack of competition in broadcasting is allowing lazy journalism to become all we hear and it affects how you see Scottish football. If we had a vibrant, intelligent sports broadcasting service who talked up the game, and avoided pandering and banal cliches, Scottish football would be better for it. 

Someone like Derek Rae / BT Sport?

If the SPFL could just tell the BBC and Sky to f**k off, and give them exclusive rights for all Scottish football, that'd be a good start.

"There's lots of positives to take from that and progress is being made" - usually in reference to the National side after yet another failure to reach a major tournament but they've won a dead rubber at the end of qualification or played reasonably well but still lost to a Spain, Germany or England.

"I hate both halves of the Old Firm equally" - said by many a non Old Firm fan, but I'd wager that 90% of the time it's a lie.

"We're punching way above our weight" - one that Motherwell fans are particularly bad for in my experience. It's nothing but a self defeating piece of nonsense and a ready made excuse for failure.

"...at this level"

Usually after a team's only drew after missing a few chances or lost a goal because of defensive errors.

"You can't miss those chances at this level."

Mate I played Sunday League football and, it might amaze ye, but if ye miss chances at that level you lose as well.

19 minutes ago, deej said:

Someone like Derek Rae / BT Sport?

If the SPFL could just tell the BBC and Sky to f**k off, and give them exclusive rights for all Scottish football, that'd be a good start.

BT show what competition can do for the SPFL's coverage, they're excellent. My post was more aimed at radio, where BBC have a stranglehold on the football. There's no other national radio station who will deal with Scottish football, so these cliches get trotted out to fill airtime. 

10 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

BT show what competition can do for the SPFL's coverage, they're excellent. My post was more aimed at radio, where BBC have a stranglehold on the football. There's no other national radio station who will deal with Scottish football, so these cliches get trotted out to fill airtime. 

I don't mind the Beeb's radio coverage. There's a few roasters in there but enough decent output to keep it above average.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't mind the Beeb's radio coverage. There's a few roasters in there but enough decent output to keep it above average.

I can't listen to the weeknight Sportsound, its repetitive, negative and consistently misses the point. I've never heard them talk about tactics, or anything that really relates to what goes on on the pitch. Its all narrative, speculation, personalities, the soap opera of Scottish football. How often have they tried to dissect the Cathro/Levein/Budge situation? They never look at what's happening on the pitch, aside from the results. They dismiss the opinions of those who haven't played the game, even though they've watched and written about it their whole life. 

The weekend coverage is fine, it does the job. I enjoy Open-All-Mics for the sheer chaos, especially if there are plenty of goals in all the games. Pre- and post-match I feel they don't do enough. Retelling the story of the match isn't sufficient for a national broadcaster. I want tactical analysis, and I want insight. I don't want to be told about a Director of Football directing the football and how shocking it all is. It doesn't interest me. 

Archived