Worst sayings in Scottish Football

A lot of the pundits are in their 40's or 50's and tend to think back to when they were playing and who were the best teams of around that time. Its why we are still stuck with the idea that Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are and should be top clubs in the top league regardless that the last really successful era for these clubs was the 80's and early 90's 25 to 30 years ago, that's a long time ago as football seasons go and it was a completely different era.

Serie A needs a strong Parma imo

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/04/2017 at 12:15, The Mantis said:

But at least when something comes up which he doesn't know, Tam admits his ignorance whereas Cosgrove always tries to bluff it.

"Eh, whit wiz the name o' that boy who played for Herts an' had wan lang leg an' wan shoart leg?"

"I am reMINDed, Thomas, of the Elizabethan STAGE actor William KEMPE. Despite having two legs of apPROXimately the same length, William or WILL Kempe was famous for PRETEND...ing to have one SHORTer leg, when he was portraying a CHA...racter with legs of UNEQUAL lengths. Whether or not the script required it. Even when playing a character in a William SHAKEspeare play. Indeed, it reminds me of an ocCASsion when I was working at the NME, and I was asked by Neil KINNOCK during a photoshoot about my interest in Northern SOUL. In those days I had never worked in television, and indeed it would be many YEARS before I would work at Channel 4; but even then I was AWARE of the pheNOMenon of differently-legged shall we say individuals or indeed FOOTballers..."

On 4/16/2017 at 13:51, GeeJay said:

The horrendously unimaginative nicknames footballers give each other. I heard Barry Ferguson on a podcast talking about his old team mates, all of which ended in ‘y’.
“Boydy, Molsy, Burky, Naisy”

The last great football nickname had to be Hagi - "The Maradona of the Carpathians".  But some of the old ones from the 40s and 50s were just fantastic - "The Galloping Major" (Puskás), "Der Papierene" (The Paper Man - Sindelar).  "The [Insert Name of Eastern European Town] Thunderbolt".  Football looks like it was more fun in the old, unselfconsciousness, somewhat camp days.  "Name+y" doesn't really come up to scratch!

On 4/18/2017 at 12:21, sugna said:

"Eh, whit wiz the name o' that boy who played for Herts an' had wan lang leg an' wan shoart leg?"

"I am reMINDed, Thomas, of the Elizabethan STAGE actor William KEMPE. Despite having two legs of apPROXimately the same length, William or WILL Kempe was famous for PRETEND...ing to have one SHORTer leg, when he was portraying a CHA...racter with legs of UNEQUAL lengths. Whether or not the script required it. Even when playing a character in a William SHAKEspeare play. Indeed, it reminds me of an ocCASsion when I was working at the NME, and I was asked by Neil KINNOCK during a photoshoot about my interest in Northern SOUL. In those days I had never worked in television, and indeed it would be many YEARS before I would work at Channel 4; but even then I was AWARE of the pheNOMenon of differently-legged shall we say individuals or indeed FOOTballers..."

Oot o greenies, but this is exquisite.  

On 19/04/2017 at 14:05, Tulloch Gorum said:

The last great football nickname had to be Hagi - "The Maradona of the Carpathians".   

Be a lot easier just calling him Gheorghe or Hagi, IMO.

35 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

or just another tracksuit wearing romanian

35 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

If he played in Scotland he'd be Gheorghe-y or Hagi-y

If he played in Scotland he'd be Gheorghe-y or Hagi-y

The excruciating inability of those morons who are on national radio to decline the past tense of the verbs  "See"  and "Go".

They don't know who they are because they are never corrected. I am willing to bet Pedro Caixinha or other foreigners would never make the same mistakes.

38 minutes ago, Dullard Bluteau said:

The excruciating inability of those morons who are on national radio to decline the past tense of the verbs  "See"  and "Go".

They don't know who they are because they are never corrected. I am willing to bet Pedro Caixinha or other foreigners would never make the same mistakes.

The one that gets me is using them instead of those. It's so widespread it's almost compulsory footballer speak.

"I support Glasgow Celtic. Glasgow Celtic"

Seemingly innocuous words. However, I am in Berlin at the moment and these were the words uttered to a girl who sat along the bench from us at the bier halle, and who was with a MASSIVE boyfriend, by some arsepiece with a Celtic tattoo on his shoulder.

Fucking cringe.

The entire situation was made better by his rapid exit when the MASSIVE boyfriend merely looked at him and then stood up, as he bolted from the building.

Celtin fans are starting to get a bit too Brits Abroad. They want to reel it in a bit.

2 minutes ago, Griff Sheridan said:

"I support Glasgow Celtic. Glasgow Celtic"

Seemingly innocuous words. However, I am in Berlin at the moment and these were the words uttered to a girl who sat along the bench from us at the bier halle, and who was with a MASSIVE boyfriend, by some arsepiece with a Celtic tattoo on his shoulder.

Fucking cringe.

The entire situation was made better by his rapid exit when the MASSIVE boyfriend merely looked at him and then stood up, as he bolted from the building.

Celtin fans are starting to get a bit too Brits Abroad. They want to reel it in a bit.

Cool story

Archived