Worst sayings in Scottish Football

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

"doesn't have a bad bone in his body"

Traditionally in reference to Keith Lasley standing over the corpse of his latest victim.

Aye, that one goes hand in hand with - "he's not that type of player", traditionally spouted after Jim Goodwin's 15th red card deserving tackle of the season.

46 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Listen, I'm sick of thick pundits starting sentences with the word 'listen'.

Listen, Kris Boyd, Barry Ferguson and Gordon Dalziel are particularly bad for it.

Listen, right, Alex Rae is bad for it as well.

See, to me; thickos like Derek Ferguson who start their sentences with that.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Listen, right, Alex Rae is bad for it as well.

See, to me; thickos like Derek "ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" Ferguson who start their sentences with that.

FTFY

Any bad performance being down to a team 'not wanting it enough'  rather than having a squad full of inferior players and tactics.

In any game against a bigger team, fans imploring the manager to 'have a go' usually whilst also saying  along the lines that they wouldn't care if they got thrashed if they played the game 'in the right way'. Which is a load of fucking shite.

Any tweet from a betting company featuring a list of misleading facts, attempted banter and pandering to a fanbase for retweets.

Calling someone an ex-Ger or ex-Celt is bad enough at the best of times but it's tv/radio out of the window level when the guy only played once for the U-18's 15 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Any bad performance being down to a team 'not wanting it enough'  rather than having a squad full of inferior players and tactics.

This usually is applied to Rangers, but Hearts have been getting the treatment recently. Combine it with a number of foreign players in the team and you get the mildly xenophobic allegations of not understanding Scottish football. Folk saying the likes of Tziolis at Hearts won't understand an Edinburgh Derby, but he was at Panathinikos for five years, and I've heard they've got a pretty heated derby with a city rival. Hearts lost the game because they gave debuts to half their team and they didn't know how to  play together. There's nothing special about Scottish football, or our derbies. 

35 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

This usually is applied to Rangers, but Hearts have been getting the treatment recently. Combine it with a number of foreign players in the team and you get the mildly xenophobic allegations of not understanding Scottish football. Folk saying the likes of Tziolis at Hearts won't understand an Edinburgh Derby, but he was at Panathinikos for five years, and I've heard they've got a pretty heated derby with a city rival. Hearts lost the game because they gave debuts to half their team and they didn't know how to  play together. There's nothing special about Scottish football, or our derbies. 

Hearts lost the game because we are miles better than them but good point well made. 

'We're looking to get a result.' This isn't exclusive to Scottish football, although does appear to be more prevalent amongst managers here. I mean, you are going to get a result regardless. Whether it will be a good result or not, however, is another matter entirely. 

Anything from commentators about goalkeepers or (more occasionally) central defenders 'thinking they are footballers.' Again, not exclusive, but one I hear far too often in Scotland. That is exactly what they are: footballers. You are literally saying that professional footballers are not actually professional footballers, you moron.

Any sentence uttered by David Currie who heroically manages to combine total ignorance of the game with ham-fisted attempts at pre-school humour. I am now unable to watch him and am compelled to turn over and watch Antiques Roadtrip.

Archived