Th1rteen R3asons Why

MSU

Fu' o' the teenage angst and stupid stylized title, but this Netflix Original has a great concept. Hannah has topped herself and left seven cassette tapes as her suicide note, each side dedicated to one person who was a reason for her killing herself, the batch of tapes to be passed on to the next person. So it's intriguing to know why she did what she did but aside from that is the paranoia that our hero, Clay, feels when he doesn't know which of his classmates is a reason, and which have already heard the tapes and know why he himself is a reason. I doubt I'm explaining this very well, but it's worth checking out.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MSU said:

Fu' o' the teenage angst and stupid stylized title, but this Netflix Original has a great concept. Hannah has topped herself and left seven cassette tapes as her suicide note, each side dedicated to one person who was a reason for her killing herself, the batch of tapes to be passed on to the next person. So it's intriguing to know why she did what she did but aside from that is the paranoia that our hero, Clay, feels when he doesn't know which of his classmates is a reason, and which have already heard the tapes and know why he himself is a reason. I doubt I'm explaining this very well, but it's worth checking out.

started this and on episode 4 or 5 now , really typically american, irritating wee idiots but i'm quite enjoying it.

1 hour ago, DanMc99 said:

started this and on episode 4 or 5 now , really typically american, irritating wee idiots but i'm quite enjoying it.

Ha! You're spot on. Irritating and corny but it works. 

Finished it tonight. It was a cracking story and, as Randy suggests, really picks up in the second half and moves away from the kinda corny, stereotypical jock nonsense that was beginning to irritate in the first half. 

Again. So fucking happy that I was long done with High School twenty-five years ago.

I enjoyed this, but I have a few issues with the character of Hannah. I understand that mental health issues can cause people to act irrationally, but I felt that the series was actually written in an attempt to justify/glorify/agree with the hypocrisy of some of her actions.

Finished this last night and really enjoyed it. As others have said, the second half reels you in.

Clay's tape, especially, was genuinely emotional stuff, in my opinion.

I felt the ending was good as it was, and left you wondering about the characters.

That said, I kind of hope they haven't left it like that so they can churn out a second series. As a one-off it was superb.

9 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

Finished this last night and really enjoyed it. As others have said, the second half reels you in.

Clay's tape, especially, was genuinely emotional stuff, in my opinion.

I felt the ending was good as it was, and left you wondering about the characters.

That said, I kind of hope they haven't left it like that so they can churn out a second series. As a one-off it was superb.

Agreed. Sometimes, it's got to be okay to tell the story in one season regardless of how successful it is. I hope they don't do a second season.

i feel there will be a second series, they have left it open for it.

but as you say it maybe would be better left like that because i feel it would be hard to get another series as good as that, it may just peter out.

I enjoyed this, but I have a few issues with the character of Hannah. I understand that mental health issues can cause people to act irrationally, but I felt that the series was actually written in an attempt to justify/glorify/agree with the hypocrisy of some of her actions.

She was a bit of an arsehole at times, screaming at Clay to f**k off, right in his face then expecting him to cuddle her. She was crying for help on the inside, that's what they were going for. The school councillor was so out his depth.

The maw was a complete boot, maybe it's just the actress that doesn't do it for me, hated her in Greys Anatomy, hated Greys Anatomy full stop though.

Didn't think they'd actually show the suicide scene though, that was gory.

Easily the best thing I've watched in ages.

Also, as an aside, the soundtrack was outstanding; Codeine, The Cure, Mary Chain, Joy Division, Chromatics, Elliot Smith.

Agree that they should just leave it as is though. A second series seems completely unnecessary.

Really enjoyed this overall, some parts of it does feel a bit like drama for drama's sake but I think it's one of those where you have to just suspend disbelief and try not to be cynical about the premise. Was surprised how bad I ended up feeling for Justin at the end, and the suicide scene was one of the most brutal I've ever seen.

As an aside, did anyone else pick up on the Head Teacher being named Gary Bollan? Didn't realise Netflix had been infiltrated by Forfar fans.

I was interested enough to read the novel it's based on, and it's a much quicker paced affair. All this fannying around that Clay does listening to the tapes simply doesn't happen, so it definitely seems that drama has been added for drama's sake to squeeze an hour or so of television from every tape. Also, the device of the tapes works surprisingly well in the written format. I found the suicide scene impossible to watch, and every time I thought the camera was going to pull away, it didn't, it stuck with it. There's a similar scene in Rule of Attraction but this was even worse, I thought. 

I did spot Gary Bollan. I chuckled almost as much as I did when one of my friends and former Bo'ness Utd centre-half Derek Yates turned out to be the bad guy in the London based season of 24.

Really enjoyed this and really didn't want it to end. They've clearly left it open for a second season with all the unanswered questions but I think it should be left as it is as the stories been told and needs nothing further added to it.

Just finished watching and loved it tbh. I loved it but some things annoyed me a wee but but it's possibly just me not understanding certain things.

I didn't know what to make of Clay. I loved his integrity throughout and respected him for it but his hesitation and complete cluelessness towards Hannah irritated me at times. It clearly annoyed him though as he clearly felt guilt about his lack of action and maybe that was the whole point.

Definitely recommend folk watch this but don't read any further if you haven't watched as I'll drop spoilers.

*** SPOILERS BELOW!! ***

By f**k it was a hard watch at times. The rapes, and in particular Hannah's was really disturbing viewing as they didn't really hold back. I've a very strong stomach but the wrists being slit made me boak. Very well done but f**k me it was really graphic and pretty upsetting when the mum and dad came in. I've became a right pussy since I've had my daughter but throughout I was constantly thinking how much I'm going to be shitting myself when she goes to High School. Boys really are creeps.

Back to the show. What did Zach do? Did I miss something? I thought he was a decent guy. Justin kicked it all off and came across as a total dick but I ended up sympathising with him a fair amount. I don't know if I should feel bad about that.

I think a second season is a must. I wish they had put it all into one season but it surely has to have a second and I hope that's all we get. Please don't drag the arse out of it.

Bryce needs to get what's coming to him and no one has mentioned Alex being hospitalised. We've been told he took a gun to himself but for me it's Tyler's handy work. We saw the guns and he then took Alex's picture down. That could be something the next season focusses on?

I thoroughly emotional and enjoyable watch and it's definitely going to be playing in my head for the next few days.

Archived