Falkirk v St Mirren

From my recollection many of the 'duds' you mention have - given time - turned out decent players. Aside from Hypo and Fash......Craigen and Kidd got pelters but are starting to shine. McKee may be a good player in time, Gasparotto has not been great recently but is still at very least a great squad addition.

Where are all these duds you mention?

Is it not really that many of our support don't give anyone time to settle before forming an opinion and indeed get on the backs of them before they get the Time to perform at their real level?

Think you must be suffering from selective signing memory loss! Don't worry tho, it might go away soon!

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont claim to be a falkirk historian, so might have some dates wrong, but the question was asked 'where are all the duds'.
I'll start with Kevin McCann, Ryan Sinnamon, Owain Tuder-Jones, John Rankin, Taylor Morgan and Rory Boulding. 
From the 'successes' list, there hasn't been one absolute stand-out first team regular since Kerr and Baird.  Miller, Hippo, Gaspa, Muirhead, Watson, McHugh, Austin, Kidd, Craigen, Aird, McKee - none of them guaranteed starters.
I'm not comparing him with others, I look at his record with Falkirk.  He was a scout at the highest paying club in Scotland with the widest network (im assuming) and has yet to find (IMO) an absolute standout first team player for us.
I like Houstie and am happy with him as manager, but our signing performance has been woeful.

As I have said some players settle and others don't. But the issue here is people calling for Houstons head.

More recent signings have been good and now we have a solid squad. Surely when you have a squad of decent players it's inevitable that some can't play every week?

We cannot buy players for big money or pay bigger wages so being a scout at Celtic is not as relevant imo as you perhaps believe.

11 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

As I have said some players settle and others don't. But the issue here is people calling for Houstons head.

More recent signings have been good and now we have a solid squad. Surely when you have a squad of decent players it's inevitable that some can't play every week?

We cannot buy players for big money or pay bigger wages so being a scout at Celtic is not as relevant imo as you perhaps believe. 

No but we could've got some decent players off them on Loan. His position there  and his time at united and scotland should also have given him a vast number of contacts for players but this has never been utilised it would seem. His signings have been disappointing. Kidd isnt any better as an attacking fullback than muirhead. Craigen still to me isnt a wide player due to his severe lack of pace and the problem area of getting a good centre mid mix hasn't been solved since vaulks left. We have to hope that the crock that is Joe McKee will be back in time for the playoffs.  We've got 6 strikers on the books and yet he persists with Baird who hasn't scored for weeks. Playing taiwo at right mid is just crazy when you have other options as is continually returning to taiwo and Kerr in the middle. Yes We've got a better squad but there's no benefit from that if you continually play the wrong players or the right players  in the wrong positions. Out of the what 9 players brought in this season only one has started over 20 games and only 2 have starts in double figures. That says everything to me.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

C9fdPwjXsAEHlcE.jpg:large

Saints support yesterday, read on twitter given officially as 1427. Looked to be much the same behind the other goal so maybe the 4800 wasn't too far off the mark.

We had the same crowd against raith who only brought about 400. I know it's Easter but we surely can't have lost 1000 patg fans since then.

No but we could've got some decent players off them on Loan. His position there  and his time at united and scotland should also have given him a vast number of contacts for players but this has never been utilised it would seem. His signings have been disappointing. Kidd isnt any better as an attacking fullback than muirhead. Craigen still to me isnt a wide player due to his severe lack of pace and the problem area of getting a good centre mid mix hasn't been solved since vaulks left. We have to hope that the crock that is Joe McKee will be back in time for the playoffs.  We've got 6 strikers on the books and yet he persists with Baird who hasn't scored for weeks. Playing taiwo at right mid is just crazy when you have other options as is continually returning to taiwo and Kerr in the middle. Yes We've got a better squad but there's no benefit from that if you continually play the wrong players or the right players  in the wrong positions. Out of the what 9 players brought in this season only one has started over 20 games and only 2 have starts in double figures. That says everything to me.

This [emoji115]

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Kidd isnt better attacking than Muirhead???

Surely that isnt a serious statement? If so I am utterly cringing for you

He's no really. Like Muirhead he doesn't have much pace and can't beat a man. I can't think of many points this season when he's hit the opposition byeline and got a cross in. I was hoping for a Jamie mcquilken style attacking fullback but kidd certainly ain't that.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I have seen Kidd put many more quality balls in than Muirhead and I have also seen him support Craigen and Aird significantly better that Muirhead does.

I have also yet to see a game where Kidd consistently hoofs the ball out the park under no pressure, kills an attack stone dead by refusing to cross the halfway line, or brought pressure onto the back four by insisting on a short pass to Taiwo or Kerr who have two men at their back. These are all thimgs Aero has been guilty of frequently this season.

I'm not saying Muirhead is brilliant. To me he should be playing centre half. Unfortunately kidd isn't the flying fullback we need either in my opinion. He still goes up to defenders and shits it and passes the ball back. I want to see a right back that can beat a man like Gallacher and Leahy on the left and like Kieran Duffy and Andy Lawrie did  at their  best. 

Hard to know how you have arrived at your assessment of Kevin McCann which maybe in turn points to another ridiculously harsh judgemt of Kidd

£600 p/w on a 2 year deal for a right wing back who rarely enjoys dribbling with the ball and loves passing sideways. Hates a header as well. Average mid table jobber who will end up replacing David Smith as Dumbartons right back when his contract finishes next season.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Saints support yesterday, read on twitter given officially as 1427. Looked to be much the same behind the other goal so maybe the 4800 wasn't too far off the mark.

There is a block on the far left not pictured that was essentially empty, which wasn't the case in the south.  The only thing I can think of is that we've suddenly stopped counting all season tickets regardless of attendance.

4 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Is that definitely a photo from yesterday? The section to the far right didn't look as full as that to me in the flesh. In fact I would say that looks more than 1427 even without counting the folk in the section we can't see.

I have seen Kidd put many more quality balls in than Muirhead and I have also seen him support Craigen and Aird significantly better that Muirhead does.

I have also yet to see a game where Kidd consistently hoofs the ball out the park under no pressure, kills an attack stone dead by refusing to cross the halfway line, or brought pressure onto the back four by insisting on a short pass to Taiwo or Kerr who have two men at their back. These are all thimgs Aero has been guilty of frequently this season.

In total agreement with you here.

Whilst Muirhead is undoubtedly better defensively, as I've said before Lewis Kidd still has no idea where he's meant to be at times when he's defending he offers so much more going forward. He's a lot more comfortable in possession than Muirhead, can cross a ball and always gets forward in support of his right winger.

Whilst I understand starting Muirhead in the tougher away games when we've got a game where we should be in the ascendency and looking to attack we should definitely have Kidd in there.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Is that definitely a photo from yesterday? The section to the far right didn't look as full as that to me in the flesh. In fact I would say that looks more than 1427 even without counting the folk in the section we can't see.

Looks more full because the picture has been taken from an angle and the saints support is standing. 

When seated during the game and looking from the South Stand one end section (not in pic) was fairly empty and the other end one about half full. Definitely 500ish spare seats.

I'd guess at 1,600 in the South Stand and 2,700 in the Main Stand. Makes the official figure about 1,000 short  

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Danny Rogers in goal there IMO. More TFS fabrications from the Buddies id say....

I hate to back up a Buddie, but yes, the picture must have been taken yesterday. It appears to show the goalie wearing white boots with a light blue trim. Danny never wore those colours. Whereas Robbie yesterday....

RT.jpg

Archived