Falkirk v St Mirren

He would not end up at Utd, things went very sour there.

For clarity, I'd just like to make clear that despite the fact he frustrates the hell out of me, like when yer da asks you to help him set up his computer internet, I'm still happy to have him as manager.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He would not end up at Utd, things went very sour there.

For clarity, I'd just like to make clear that despite the fact he frustrates the hell out of me, like when yer da asks you to help him set up his computer internet, I'm still happy to have him as manager.

Agreed. We could do a lot worse.

We could do a hell of a lot worse. Houstie has got the team wrong the last couple of weeks but is usually good at seeing where he got it wrong, even if it does take him a wee while. You have to feel Miller would've played last week and Hippo this week if fit. We know the summer recruitment wasn't the best but we're still sitting 2nd in the league. 

He just doesn't seem to learn from previous experiences and for a manager of his level he should know better. Our last decent home performance was a 3 0 pumping of du. Look how much the team has constantly changed since then. Austin came on early doors that day with Baird injured and played up front with Miller. Kerr didn't play  funnily enough. The next time we play United Baird and Kerr are back in the side. I mean come on you know how to beat them so why not play as close a team to that as possible? It's so frustrating and something you'd expect to see more in a rookie manager.

2 hours ago, RichieBairn said:

I'm seriously losing patience with Houston. The grass isn't always greener I know but I just think a new manager for next season with fresh ideas and a different voice with more balls would be better. In saying that I have no clue who and we certainly don't have the money to pay compensation to another club for someone already employed unless it's peanuts. If we ever did go up I wouldn't want Houston in charge, he would be playing 4-6-0 like Levein did, week in week out! He is running scared of a lower end Championship team at HOME never mind a SPL team away!! The board will never sack Houston anyway.

If we'd given Houston the job when we sacked Lennon, and he was out work at the time, we'd still be in the Premier League. 

thomson is as good as rogers and i thought craigen, luca and sibbs had decent games for me our motm was taiwo, maybe fash if he had more game time.

aero put a shift in and was very vocal in defence if we moved him into CB would be a potential captain IMO.

There are many more lovers of Houston than haters so best wait and see where we are come the end of the season and this time next season if we don't go up. I'm not a fan but delighted to be proved wrong and more than happy to admit it. COYB. The clubs well being is the most important thing not my opinion.

6 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

If Miller could last I'd start with him and Austin but he can't and is better as an impact sub. Would you start Baird before McHugh if you had to start one of them? For me it's McHugh now. He scored today and while I accept he doesn't seem to play as well starting as he does off the bench how much longer can we see Baird get a start 8 goals all season???

3 goals in 2 seasons when he has started, need I say anymore.

Groundhog day, does well as sub, starts and is pish

6 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I think McHugh is a better finisher than Baird.

Three goals in probably around 30 starts says he isnt

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Jim Duffy told everyone how St.Mirren play, high press, and Houston played right into their hands with the lack of pace in the side.

It allowed St.Mirren to get 10/15 yards further up the pitch and press us in our own half stopping Leahy and Sibbald's distribution. Again like last week Houston brings on pace (Aird and Austin), St.Mirren immediately drop off and we have more space to play in.

Pace kills teams, they hate playing against it. We have plenty in Austin, Aird, Shepherd and Hypolyte yet Houston seems not to trust most of these players.

Get them in the team Peter FFS.

We don't have pace, it was Craigen and Austin he brought on last week and it was more of the combination play of Sibbald and Leahy on the left that had us flying last week. Leahy had a poor poor game, Gallacher was warming up after 15 mins probably due to this.

St Mirren have pace and energy in midfield we can only dream off, no matter the selection.

Aird made no difference today, the fact Craigen done more on the left than the right but still was better on the right than Aird says it all. Craigens game on the left wasn't about pace.

I don't think Austins sub appearance added much, if anything it showed his rawness 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He just doesn't seem to learn from previous experiences and for a manager of his level he should know better. 

A manager of his level ?

He has only managed two clubs and I'm guessing has 6 yr or so experience of doing so.

We didn't have the tools to go toe to toe with St mirrens midfield in the pace and energy wars, a five man midfield perhaps but our midfield is snail pace, hippo and Aird only increases it to fast snail.

Houstie is to blame for that perhaps but with wages as they are, we can't get those players in, St Mirren on the other hand have got them in via the reserves.

I personally think the majority of the teams in thus league would love St Mirrens midfield energy and pace and only Morton have got that, tho they carry 5 in there to get that.

If we had shown ambition and went for Loy in January, we may have seen a league challenge and not a fingers crossed play off challenge.

We have Miller who is the complete package but ageing and not able to do it week in week out, Austin who is still raw and the rest who are average or above average on a good day. Loy would've been first pick and improved us greatly, we missed a trick there

Something definitely went wrong with the attendance today. 4,734? Absolutely no chance. I'd have been suspicious if it had been given as 5,734 tbh 

Behind your goals was 2/3 full. Big main stand was just over half full. The side closest to the Saints fans was pretty much empty. Not sure what each stand holds

cant believe folk want houston's scalp look at our last three managers do you want more of that? it may be frustrating at times but he is a safe pair of hands that's his style. we're currently second and finished second last year both times behind a top 6 spl budget team ffs.
anyway a decent game all round. leahy had an off day first time ive seen him that poor and grant's distribution is fucking awful. i cant understand why fash doesnt start he always rapes defences. as far as the baird bob argument is concerned i think bob is more of a baller but only seems to perform when an impact sub, so baird it is. next year ohara will replace if still in this league. the midden are a quality outfit as good as weve had at the bairnebeu this season. a draw a fair result. not sure why our third wasnt given but then our second was never a free kick.
thompson is fuckn gash an absolute riddy of a ref

I didn't think Falkirk were that bad. This current Saints team is miles ahead of the one you played earlier in the season. Our current form is more of a team challenging for a title rather than battling relegation but that's where we are. Saints have played Hibs, Ton and Utd recently and for me, falkirk look better than they did. All to play for

Behind your goals was 2/3 full. Big main stand was just over half full. The side closest to the Saints fans was pretty much empty. Not sure what each stand holds

1400 St.Mirren fans
3800 ST holders
500 PATG Falkirk fans

I think 5700 is about right not the 4700 announced

I didn't think Falkirk were that bad. This current Saints team is miles ahead of the one you played earlier in the season. Our current form is more of a team challenging for a title rather than battling relegation but that's where we are. Saints have played Hibs, Ton and Utd recently and for me, falkirk look better than they did. All to play for

Austin made a massive difference at Tannadice and yesterday again you could see St.Mirren drop off the game as they were wary of him in behind.

It wasn't 2/3s full. I took this photo during the 2nd half and I'd guess there were a couple of hundred empty seats at best. I was sat in the Main stand yesterday so couldn't tell you how busy it was versus how it normally is but I'd have guessed the crowd was about 5,800 before it was announced.

We've had 5000+ crowds this season with about 200 in the away end. There would be no reason for yesterday being our LOWEST home support of the season, especially at this stage of the season.

7e9756f7b1ee88fd0e76116e83854021.jpg

The St.Mirren midfield yesterday was lively but I wouldn't say lightening quick we just made them look like that. If a midfield turns us and is half a yard away then there is no chance Sibbald, Kerr or Taiwo are going to catch you! I would play Craigen every week, first player on the team sheet. Out of our midfield only one who I have confidence in when letting fly outside the box.

Wondered at the time whether the 4,700 was the home attendance and for whatever reason they didn't add on the away support; which I have to say it was really good to see pretty full!

Agree with most that team selection was the issue today for our poor start and St. Mirren were the better side for most of the first half. However when we weren't pumping high balls into nowhere we looked okay but just lacked pace.

Second half much the same until Austin came on. What a difference! I'd have maybe kept Sibbs on the left and put Craigen in the middle but that's just personal opinion. Next week just as crucial as the rest of our games and surely now Houston has realised Kerr and Baird need time on the bench

It wasn't 2/3s full. I took this photo during the 2nd half and I'd guess there were a couple of hundred empty seats at best. I was sat in the Main stand yesterday so couldn't tell you how busy it was versus how it normally is but I'd have guessed the crowd was about 5,800 before it was announced.

We've had 5000+ crowds this season with about 200 in the away end. There would be no reason for yesterday being our LOWEST home support of the season, especially at this stage of the season.

7e9756f7b1ee88fd0e76116e83854021.jpg

Absolutely this. The stands behind the goals hold 2000 each and were 90pc full so there's 3600. Are we seriously saying we only had about 1000 in the main stand. That attendance is wrong

Nathan Austin is absolutely rapid by the way. He looks a cracking player. Always hoped we'd sign him from East Fife when he was doing well there. 

Baird is absolutely done, the wee nyaff. How he can be starting ahead of Austin is beyond me. 

Absolutely this. The stands behind the goals hold 2000 each and were 90pc full so there's 3600. Are we seriously saying we only had about 1000 in the main stand. That attendance is wrong

It also means the attendance was lower than the raith game when the away end was pretty much full yesterday....

Archived