Hame and Hosed Hibs vs Doonhamers

Really liked this 4-2-3-1 formation we played yesterday, it really brought out the best in Shinnie and McGinn. Playing Mcgeough out left again i didn't agree with but he was allowed some freedom to move into the no10 role at times. In saying this i don't think we really created much from open play which has been the story of the season. Big Daz was superb today as well.

Fair play to Queens for having a go today but 'm surprised they were so open. Our biggest weakness is playing against teams which sit and counter as results against the bottom six have shown. 

Also, really good touch from the Queens fans that stayed to applaud the Hibs players and then also through sunshine on leith which must have been a good 15 mins. Good luck next season.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

Also, really good touch from the Queens fans that stayed to applaud the Hibs players and then also through sunshine on leith which must have been a good 15 mins. Good luck next season.

I sang my way through it. Love that song.:shutup

Didnt think I cared about how we'd win the league but I actually really enjoyed that. Last time I was in the South Stand was the Hamilton playoff so felt somewhat #cathartic. Good to see big Daz get a couple of goals as well. Easily our best player this season imo, deserves a bit of a day in the sun. Even though I really rate Hanlon, I'm going to miss the Efe/McGregor partnership. The perfect combination of no nonsense hard c**t and swag.

Queens fans are good c***s, hopefully see you in the Premiership one day.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

4-4-2 is all fine and dandy versus shit like Ayr but against Hibs you have to accept that they are man for man better in just about every matchup so you have to be defensive with the people we have at our disposal. It isn't about 'wanting it more'  or other vague intangible things people like to bring up, it's a question of quality and being able to execute the game plan. I understand why Naysmith would want to stick with a winning team but Dyke's lack of footballing intelligence and quality gets shown up against Ambrose and McGregor and Dobbie isn't quick enough to make an impact so trying to play the usual style just seems foolish as you are already down a man in midfield and once we conceded we didn't have anything to change to once we as we went for broke early on.

Being defensive against Hibs is a common tactic because it has a pretty decent rate of return. They play it sideways, Martin Boyle runs in a straight line and Shinnie/McGinn shoot from 25 yards. Open play Hibs are predictable so being able to defend set pieces becomes critical as the fans tends to get restless if the game is tight. But it's fairly common flaws again, which at corners comes down to execution and being well drilled which we haven't been all season. 

This. Very much this

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

By way of comparison - I went to Morton's recent visit to Easter Road. It was a poor match that was remembered for the injury time bust up. It ended 0-0.

Morton are a better side than us but not materially better. They went there respecting Hibs but got in their faces. They did not allow their centre backs to stroll forward unchallenged to the half way line and they did not concede cheap possession to players like McGinn in midfield. They made It very tough for Hibs to create attacks and on the night limited Hibs to a few half chances. They had 2/3 decent half chances themselves. They played two up in a 4-4-2. In short it was a pretty even contest despite Hibs having better players.

I fully realise that we could have played well and still lost 3-0 but we should be capable of much more than that.

But, like the games Flash brought up last night, Hibs also played 4-4-2 in that game. Maybe Naysmith thought they were going to play that way yesterday and if they had, I think the game would have been more even.

Morton also have players suited to a high pressing game, we simply dont - certainly not with Dobbie and Dykes up front or Rankin in the midfield, anyway. It was clear from some of the pointing that either Dobbie or Dykes were supposed to be picking up the midfield man who dropped deep but neither got anywhere close to doing it successfully.

57 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

Really liked this 4-2-3-1 formation we played yesterday, it really brought out the best in Shinnie and McGinn. Playing Mcgeough out left again i didn't agree with but he was allowed some freedom to move into the no10 role at times. In saying this i don't think we really created much from open play which has been the story of the season. Big Daz was superb today as well.

Fair play to Queens for having a go today but 'm surprised they were so open. Our biggest weakness is playing against teams which sit and counter as results against the bottom six have shown. 

I would have love to have stayed but getting out of the ground while its quiet was more important. I'd like to thank all the Hibs fans for staying in the stadium long enough to give us a free drive away from the ground and onto the bypass :lol:

What will I miss most about Hibs supporters not being in the Championship next season? Probably their humility and the way they rarely mentioned their Scottish Cup win last season. I'm sure if they win it again this year they will by just as humble about it in the Premiership Forum. Best of luck anyway :thumsup2

23 hours ago, Mr X said:

Maybe Im being harsh but all three of those goals look preventable to me. The third goes past the keeper and a player on the post <_<

I thought Queens were awful at set-pieces, but they were getting nowhere near that first goal: the reverse angle on the highlights shows how quick McGregor was to get into the right spot and he did very well to get that on target, let alone over the keeper; a perfectly weighted ball arrowed across by McGinn and a great header from Darren McGregorYLT. I have been critical of a couple of McGregor's errors in recent weeks, but he was comfortably the MotM yesterday and perhaps our best player overall this season. Cummings proved once again why he should remain on corners, with two great crosses for our second & third goals. Our first signing in the Championship, our captain, our Scottish Cup-winning goalscorer: David Gray started the revolution at Hibs and yesterday he ended our Championship cycle. Similarly to last year, Gray struggled in the second half of the season due to injury/fatigue; I'm glad to see Gray back on the right and hopefully getting back to his best. Hanlon is still sorely missed, but Ambrose & McGregor cannot be displaced at the moment; I still hope we can see a return of the 3-5-2 if Hanlon can overcome whatever is wrong with him.

I would rather see Fyvie, McGinn & McGeouch alongside each other rather than shoehorned anywhere they will fit. We still look unbalanced and unable to carry out the type of football that Lennon has us set to play; if we don't have two wingers on the wing or two wide players capable of consistent crosses, we should be changing the side or the setup. The changes that Lennon did make were successful enough and is hopefully a sign of more changes to come for the Aberdeen game.

I thought QOTS were poor in their initial approach, but our setup may have surprised QotS just as it surprised most Hibs fans. Neither side were incisive enough going forward, but that played more into our hands as we looked content with leaving men further forward and sitting outside their box. Their decent chances involved Dobbie: one where a through ball almost had him one-on-one with the keeper, but Ambrose appeared from nowhere to amble away; Dobbie should have scored early in the game too, but Marciano miraculously kept out the shot from close range. McGregor was given free rein in the QotS box, even after he scored two goals; their marking cost them three goals and won Hibs the title (assisted by St. Mirren and another McGinn).

We didn't need three Liam Henderson deliveries to win the league title yesterday - just three delectable deliveries from two Hibs players. We didn't need two freebies from Celtc to score freely - just two Hibs players to score three. We didn't need to tear apart royal blues - just execute Queens with three set-pieces. We didn't even need to invade the pitch to celebrate - just applaud and admire three-hundred metres of sticky tape to catch exuberant Hibbies. We needed to get promoted and we have done just that, as league winners.

Some were singing 'One Neil Lennon', but I was more happy with one McGregor, one Gray, one Cummings and two McGinns.

Edited to add: Sunshine On Leith has become an incredibly powerful anthem since the Scottish Cup win - and now promotion back to the Premiership. The lyrics are a bit more meaningful and it was a fitting way to celebrate promotion. Despite the extended stay, it has been a remarkable rise from the ashes of self-combustion over the past decade.

LtnoGhn.jpg

c75WPJq.png

v8GxOsY.png

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Heres some highlights

Maybe Im being harsh but all three of those goals look preventable to me. The third goes past the keeper and a player on the post <_<

I still think the first is an outstanding set piece and to suggest Higgins "lost" McGregor is very harsh. It's a terrific flat pacy delivery and McGregor meets it perfectly. There is a way to prevent every single goal obviously but in the scheme of things I don't know there's that much we could realistically have done to prevent that other than not give away the free kick in the first place. The other two are poorly defended again though.

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I still think the first is an outstanding set piece and to suggest Higgins "lost" McGregor is very harsh. It's a terrific flat pacy delivery and McGregor meets it perfectly. There is a way to prevent every single goal obviously but in the scheme of things I don't know there's that much we could realistically have done to prevent that other than not give away the free kick in the first place. The other two are poorly defended again though.

Higgins completely misjudges the ball. He moves towards Gray(?) in the middle as McGregor moves towards the back post. McGregor then jumps completely unchallenged. If thats not losing your man I dont know what is. 

The ball in is ok but its nothing special. Its flat rather than looping but its not exactly one of those whipped in at the near post.

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Higgins completely misjudges the ball. He moves towards Gray(?) in the middle as McGregor moves towards the back post. McGregor then jumps completely unchallenged. If thats not losing your man I dont know what is. 

The ball in is ok but its nothing special. Its flat rather than looping but its not exactly one of those whipped in at the near post.

We're going to have to agree to differ again. I think it's a very special delivery, an outstanding ball in which is practically indefensible, over the defenders and too fast and low for the keeper to come for. Higgins steps forward a yard or two more than he should but he's not massively out of position by the time the ball gets there. McGregor is taller and I suspect would have won that header anyway.

Guest Flash
37 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We're going to have to agree to differ again. I think it's a very special delivery, an outstanding ball in which is practically indefensible, over the defenders and too fast and low for the keeper to come for. Higgins steps forward a yard or two more than he should but he's not massively out of position by the time the ball gets there. McGregor is taller and I suspect would have won that header anyway.

In the podcast, Naysmith described the 3 deliveries as "not great" and "ok". He quite clearly blames all 3 goals on poor defending rather than any of them coming from anything special. He even draws a distinction with the goal at Palmerston which he said at least came from a clever bit of play.

36 minutes ago, Flash said:

In the podcast, Naysmith described the 3 deliveries as "not great" and "ok". He quite clearly blames all 3 goals on poor defending rather than any of them coming from anything special. He even draws a distinction with the goal at Palmerston which he said at least came from a clever bit of play.

I'm allowed to disagree with the manager too on occasion. However, it would appear that not for the first time I'm in the minority here.

I'm allowed to disagree with the manager too on occasion. However, it would appear that not for the first time I'm in the minority here.

I have to agree - I thought the first set piece was clever play and McGregor's finish was outstanding. Managers tend never to compliment an opposing goal - it is always down to poor defending.

If the ball is constantly in your final third either via general play or via set pieces goals will inevitably be conceded. The other two goals were badly defended.

When we had Durnan Dowie and Higgy supported by Lyle we were a real threat at set pieces ourselves. We had perfected a good range of "blocking" techniques and had good options of near post and far post routines. Now we just seem to send in aimless crosses many of which just end up in the clutches of the opposing keeper.

Fun Fact - No defender has scored a league goal for us this season (2 in all competitions) and the last defender to score for us was Jamie Hamill against Stenny in the League Cup in July with a mishit cross.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Fun Fact - No defender has scored a league goal for us this season (2 in all competitions) and the last defender to score for us was Jamie Hamill against Stenny in the League Cup in July with a mishit cross.

Hamill scored against Albion Rovers too when on as a sub at full back.

Archived