The Most Tedious Interviewee in Scottish Football

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JockysJetpack said:

Cathro is brilliant entertainment in interviews. This was his best by far

Jesus, that's uncomfortable viewing.

Rodgers is tedious when it comes to his desperate attempt to talk up opponents and show respect, but as far as tedious things go, it's not a bad one to have I don't think. And it's pretty much the only thing I don't like about him.

Rodgers is tedious when it comes to his desperate attempt to talk up opponents and show respect, but as far as tedious things go, it's not a bad one to have I don't think. And it's pretty much the only thing I don't like about him.

I dislike his teeth.

i mean they're not, like, tedious teeth but they are annoying.

They're the sort of teeth a w****r has.

apologies if this is OT

3 hours ago, Swello said:

Anyone that says "the football club" in every answer.

Owen Coyle is the absolute worst c**t for this.

Not even just the club one, but saying "Barclays Premier League" every single time.

9 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Kenny Dalgliesh >>  Brendon for tedium 

Dalglish was the founding father of sticking "football club" in every sentence, in a doomed attempt to sound statesmanlike and intelligent when he first graduated to become player manager of Liverpool.

Steve Lomas used to issue an instruction to 'listen' at the start of every sentence: a sure sign that what followed wasn't very much worth listening to.

And he always seemed to be looking elsewhere during the interview, as if speaking to someone else off camera. Made him look even shiftier.

25 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Steve Lomas used to issue an instruction to 'listen' at the start of every sentence: a sure sign that what followed wasn't very much worth listening to.

And he always seemed to be looking elsewhere during the interview, as if speaking to someone else off camera. Made him look even shiftier.

Strachan's always done that as well. He looks as if his eyes are following a fly that's in the room while he finishes every sentence with "...that's for sure".

The interviews are mostly terrible. Interviewers will rarely ask questions but will just make statements which invite a response. It's an arrogant and lazy form of discourse. Any questions which do arise are generally loaded to provide a "gotcha" answer or some sensational headline. You can't blame managers for giving boring interviews after the match when the people in charge of the interview (the alleged journalists) give them nothing to work with. 

14 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Owen Coyle is the absolute worst c**t for this.

Not even just the club one, but saying "Barclays Premier League" every single time.

I wondered if that might be excusable by some sort of contractual requirement to mentions the sponsors' name every third or four sentence. But "the football club" or "NAME OF CLUB football club" really baffles me. Are they afraid viewers will think it's a rugby or cricket club?

1 hour ago, velo army said:

The interviews are mostly terrible. Interviewers will rarely ask questions but will just make statements which invite a response. It's an arrogant and lazy form of discourse. Any questions which do arise are generally loaded to provide a "gotcha" answer or some sensational headline. You can't blame managers for giving boring interviews after the match when the people in charge of the interview (the alleged journalists) give them nothing to work with. 

I've got sympathy on both sides. For the player/manager who gets asked pretty inane questions, it must be a pain - even the more interesting managers struggle when the question is of the  "It's the Lanarkshire Derby this weekend Steve, what do you make of the Rangers Tax Case" type. Stuart McCall used to get pilloried for talking about Rangers all the time (and I was guilty of that) but when Motherwell started showing the full press conferences, you realised that the hacks asked him about Rangers *all the time* so that they had some OF content to use.

On the other side - the vast majority of players aren't very bright to put it kindly and the chances of them ever saying something interesting (especially as they are taught not to say anything controversial in their Media Training) are pretty low. I pity the poor hack that has to construct a piece out of 5 monosyllabic answers they got from a 21 year old who probably can't read or write and spends his leisure time doing the kids colouring-in sheet at Nando's.

4 hours ago, nsr said:

But "the football club" or "NAME OF CLUB football club" really baffles me. Are they afraid viewers will think it's a rugby or cricket club?

I genuinely think that not very bright people often see it as a way of sounding grand, clever and thoughtful.  As with all inane cliches however, it achieves the opposite.

Archived