What's in a budget??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One that's always got me this season is people say shit like "this league is really tight there's not much in it between all the teams" and then when we skoosh the league at a canter they'll say "full time team in a part time league it should be easy for Livi".

Heard some shite in the news a while back that various clubs were being investigated over paying their players, with Queens Park being one in particular. On our players contracts, we apparently 'agree' to pay them £1 a week i think, but it's made clear that they won't be getting this money. Could be crap, but i think thats the deal.

Budget doesnt equal success. Look at Clyde, biggest budget in that league i believe, and wee Bazza couldn't stop the club from lingering in the dark lower reaches of the league. Manager's Tactics also must play a part!

Heard some shite in the news a while back that various clubs were being investigated over paying their players, with Queens Park being one in particular. On our players contracts, we apparently 'agree' to pay them £1 a week i think, but it's made clear that they won't be getting this money. Could be crap, but i think thats the deal.

Budget doesnt equal success. Look at Clyde, biggest budget in that league i believe, and wee Bazza couldn't stop the club from lingering in the dark lower reaches of the league. Manager's Tactics also must play a part!

I don't believe Clyde have the biggest budget tbh. All bluster because Ferguson was there. We gave Prunty an extra hunner more than they offered I believe.

Certainly not the 9th best budget anyway tbf!!!!!!

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sevco proved throwing huge amounts of money at a shite manager doesn't win you the league.

Ally McCoist (a shite manager) had a 67% league winning record by throwing around huge amounts of money. And Rangers' budget this season is way lower than Celtic's.

The team with the largest budget is going to win at least 3 of the 4 leagues in Sotland this year.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sevco proved throwing huge amounts of money at a shite manager doesn't win you the league.

Rangers' failure to win the Championship in 2014/15 was an anomaly; almost in every case, the team with the largest budget and the greatest resources will win their respective division.

People always seem to get very defensive when talk turns to how much money their team has spent on players. Don't be embarrassed, embrace it and enjoy the subsequent success!

Edited to add: fair play to CEMSFC, God love you.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Ally McCoist (a shite manager) had a 67% league winning record by throwing around huge amounts of money. And Rangers' budget this season is way lower than Celtic's.

The team with the largest budget is going to win at least 3 of the 4 leagues in Sotland this year.

Aye and they've still got a bigger budget than Aberdeen but are way behind them too. Coming up through League 2 and 1 with Premiership quality players won the league for him, but the minute he was up against other FT teams it wasn't so easy, Hearts were miles better than his team on a huge budget. As was mentioned the Pars had a bigger budget too and didn't win this league, so again the biggest budget didn't make a difference. Sure I read Dundee Utd had a decent budget when they were relegated, so did Livi when we were in the SPL, budgets don't dictate where you will be anymore than who has the most fans. Sure it helps when you've a good manager who has used the budget wisely, but there are more factors involved then just who is spending the most money.

33 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye and they've still got a bigger budget than Aberdeen but are way behind them too. Coming up through League 2 and 1 with Premiership quality players won the league for him, but the minute he was up against other FT teams it wasn't so easy, Hearts were miles better than his team on a huge budget. As was mentioned the Pars had a bigger budget too and didn't win this league, so again the biggest budget didn't make a difference. Sure I read Dundee Utd had a decent budget when they were relegated, so did Livi when we were in the SPL, budgets don't dictate where you will be anymore than who has the most fans. Sure it helps when you've a good manager who has used the budget wisely, but there are more factors involved then just who is spending the most money.

Absolutely nobody is saying that budget is the only thing that matters and that if team A has a £650k budget and team B has a £600k budget that team A will definitely finish above team B. That's ridiculous.

Budgets are incredibley important though, it's lunacy to suggest otherwise. Look around world football, it's the biggest clubs with the biggest budgets which dominate every league. There are obviously exceptions but they really only serve to highlight that budgets do tend to be the most important thing.

I don't know what Livi's budget this season is but let's say hypothetically, it was halved - does anyone really think this season would have turned out the same way?

If budgets aren't really that important then why even spend the extra money? Surely everyone would just go in with absolutely minimal playing budgets.

Of the last 4 winners of League 1, Rangers, Dunfermline and Livngston have undoubtedly had the biggest budgets in the league. Dunfermline may have a had a bigger or comparable budget to Morton in 2015 but possibly not. Isn't that a hell of a coincidence?

With hearing what's been said, it obvious team budgets do help, Livingston will have the highest budget, there the only team that have had quality on the bench this season and probably have the biggest squad 

I'd expect if there was a table for budget it would look like this

livi

airdrie

Peterhead

stranrar 

alloa brechin eastfife

albion rovers

stenny

queens park

i may be miles out but that is my assumption 

I'm sure it was said somewhere that Alloa had the biggest budget in the league. Can't remember where I read that now, was possibly the journo that covers the Livi games.

ETA: If the above is true I would expect the league of budgets to look like:

Alloa

Livingston

$tranraer

Airdrie

Peterhead

Brechin

East Fife

Albion Rovers

Stenhousemuir

Queens Park

2 minutes ago, Overthehedge1 said:

With hearing what's been said, it obvious team budgets do help, Livingston will have the highest budget, there the only team that have had quality on the bench this season and probably have the biggest squad 

I'd expect if there was a table for budget it would look like this

livi

airdrie

Peterhead

stranrar 

alloa brechin eastfife

albion rovers

stenny

queens park

i may be miles out but that is my assumption 

That looks more or less right to me. I'd struggle to believe Alloa aren't at least top 3 though.

9 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I'm sure it was said somewhere that Alloa had the biggest budget in the league. Can't remember where I read that now, was possibly the journo that covers the Livi games.

ETA: If the above is true I would expect the league of budgets to look like:

Alloa

Livingston

$tranraer

Airdrie

Peterhead

Brechin

East Fife

Albion Rovers

Stenhousemuir

Queens Park

I know I'll get the usual people jumping on this but I'd say you would be surprised at where Airdrie would be in this table. 

Although likes of Russell & Conroy on good money they were nowhere near top spenders. 

I'd hazard guess at 

Livi

Allo

Brechin 

peterhead/Stranraer/Albion 

Airdrie

East Fife 

Stenny 

QP

I heard from someone I would tend to believe that Greg Spence was offered a deal at Livi this season but opted for a better one at Alloa.

Livingston are full time so that would make sense. He'll be able to do his plumbing at Alloa and combine that wage with his football one.

Archived