Own brands - aye or no??

philpy

18 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Most supermarket brands are identical to the premium brands, and made in the same factory. The only difference is the packaging. I think supermarket own brand whisky is better than Grouse and Bells, and usually considerably cheaper.

17 hours ago, bobbykdy said:

Lidl Newgate Tomato soup is identical to Heinz in taste but about 1/3 of the price. I have my suspicions they have been made in the same factory and simply have two different labels put on them and as a result prices. Meat paste is another one, peel the label off a Shipphams jar and do the same with an Aldi version and they are identical, again most likely made in the same place.

I worked for a firm that sold own brand motor accessories. If you approached the brand leader to package something for you (e.g. Holts Radweld - wtf is that I hear the under 40s asking), they would tell you to f**k off. So you usually did a deal with the second or third biggest brand, who would appreciate the extra market share.

With whisky the budgets tend to bulk buy whatever is in surplus at the time. So Lidl's Ben Bracken malt was said to be Tamnavulin, which is not a premium brand. Later on the bottle was the same but the whisky was different. It's unlikely that a brand like Ardbeg would give any deals to the budget supermarkets.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked for a few weeks in a toilet roll factory while travelling around NZ. The rolls were churned out from the big machine at the start of the line then branched off onto 2 or 3 separate lines to be wrapped in different packaging for various brands, budget and named. Made me realise this probably happens with everything in the supermarkets. Was a bit of an eye-opener at the time.

I've never seen the Lidl Inferno pizza.  Is it still on sale and is it any good?  

Don't know whether it's still on sale but it was fucking rancid. Tried it ages ago after reading all the frothing about it on here.

Disgusting. Tastes like it was created in a laboratory by accident and wasn't originally intended to be food. Not that hot either. Like Nando's sauce, it's more like an acidic burn than a spicy heat.

Don't know whether it's still on sale but it was fucking rancid. Tried it ages ago after reading all the frothing about it on here.  
Disgusting. Tastes like it was created in a laboratory by accident and wasn't originally intended to be food. Not that hot either. Like Nando's sauce, it's more like an acidic burn than a spicy heat.

Agree with all that, it was nothing special. Lidl's other pizzas are decent enough though.

9 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

I'd be furious if my girlfriend bought own brand products for us to consume tbh. 

5 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

Completely. She knows better fortunately. 

That's a shame . I'd love to see that.

"Oi, I'm furious that you bought an almost identical product to the one I wanted. Get it sorted before the red mist sets in, ya boot."

28 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

One I will never get, bottled cooncil juice.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

8.5p/L

IDShot_540x540.jpg

55p/L

The Everyday value stuff is tap water, the Evian is spring water. 

Archived