Own brands - aye or no??

philpy

They are too sweet. The Mars bar ones are good though. The catch is they are all a bit smaller than the big brands. I just got a few very high quality beers for £5.40 for tomorrow's picnic.

Picnic = drinking beer under a bridge.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mate used to swear by Lidls own version of Jack Daniels, he went as far as to try and convince us it was called Helen Daniels. It still probably tasted as shite as the original.

Anyway, Lidls version of Pringles are superb.

Lidl Newgate Tomato soup is identical to Heinz in taste but about 1/3 of the price. I have my suspicions they have been made in the same factory and simply have two different labels put on them and as a result prices. Meat paste is another one, peel the label off a Shipphams jar and do the same with an Aldi version and they are identical, again most likely made in the same place.

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Far better than Shreddies & half the price. My absolute favourite cereal.

Let's not get carried away. Cardboard cereal is about degrees of shiteness. The fact that you can choke this asbestos substitute over, doesn't make it good. 

11 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Lidl Newgate Tomato soup is identical to Heinz in taste but about 1/3 of the price. I have my suspicions they have been made in the same factory and simply have two different labels put on them and as a result prices. Meat paste is another one, peel the label off a Shipphams jar and do the same with an Aldi version and they are identical, again most likely made in the same place.

I could never eat a meat paste with the name Shipman on it. 

Auld folk pate. :shutup

24 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

The next time I'm comparing jars of meat paste, that's exactly what I'll do.

The Aldi equivalent of chocolate Mini Rolls are amazing.

I find that there is very little that Aldi and Lidl sell that doesn't match or exceed the big brands. One off the top of my head that doesn't is their Iron Brew, it comes no where near Irn Bru.

As said before, I find it hard to believe that there are different factories that make and process baked beans or soup for every brand.

Used to love these too, pity they changed it to Groovy Biscuits.

627333d23c2ced63406541194d3d1ca2.jpg

1 hour ago, Slenderman said:

Surprised of the lack of Waitrose shoppers coming on here & calling us plebs.

I do some shopping at Waitrose. I have a free coffee + pay for a cake ('My Waitrose card'). Then buy a few things that I particularly 

like.... , Nairns oat biscuits, French butter. I shop at Morrisons ( anyone noticed that rather a lot of their prices seem to have sneaked up ?),

and also Lidl. I'm fine with the Lidl own brands. The quality is good. I go for the cereals, muesli mostly, and the frozen foods.  

6 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

Any whisky has to be made by one of the bit distilleries. The logistics of a supermarket producing and storing in casks won't work for them. Its a no brainer

The majority of them used to be made by Invergordon Distillers, who are owned by Whyte & Mackay.

The Aldi equivalent of chocolate Mini Rolls are amazing.

I find that there is very little that Aldi and Lidl sell that doesn't match or exceed the big brands. One off the top of my head that doesn't is their Iron Brew, it comes no where near Irn Bru.

As said before, I find it hard to believe that there are different factories that make and process baked beans or soup for every brand.

Used to love these too, pity they changed it to Groovy Biscuits.

627333d23c2ced63406541194d3d1ca2.jpg

They will always be disco biscuits in my house.

Archived