Own brands - aye or no??

philpy

Sitting here having just eaten a packet of prawn cocktail crisps bought from Aldi, which i would say are better than the likes of walkers and golden wonder, and are a lot cheaper as well, and it's got me thinking, do any other posters prefer Aldi or Lidl own brands to more renown products, and If so what are your favourite versions of said products?? 30a32c189091d327bf1f943383288b7b.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fucking hate the fact Aldi and Lidl compare their prices to premium brands rather than supermarket own brands. 

You're selling own brand shit, not premium. 

Most own brand stuff is nice. Asda Smart Price cornflakes are worse than Isis

When I was up at my maws on Tuessay she was watching 1 of those programmes where people test 3 versions of the same product by various retailers without knowing which 1 is which and i seen Tesco value cornflakes scored best

4 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

I fucking hate the fact Aldi and Lidl compare their prices to premium brands rather than supermarket own brands. 

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It's about quality of own brands vs premium, not value.

6 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

When I was up at my maws on Tuessay she was watching 1 of those programmes where people test 3 versions of the same product by various retailers without knowing which 1 is which and i seen Tesco value cornflakes scored best

They are nice. The lidl ones are good too (but not as good), with the added advantage of having no sugar added. 

3 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

I think you are missing the point of this thread. It's about quality of own brands vs premium, not value.

In not missing the point. Just making an observation. 

So what are value products, if not own brand? 

12 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

The twix rip off from Aldi is superb.

They call it Jive bars.

They are too sweet. The Mars bar ones are good though. The catch is they are all a bit smaller than the big brands. I just got a few very high quality beers for £5.40 for tomorrow's picnic.

18 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Most supermarket brands are identical to the premium brands, and made in the same factory. The only difference is the packaging. I think supermarket own brand whisky is better than Grouse and Bells, and usually considerably cheaper.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Most supermarket brands are identical to the premium brands, and made in the same factory. The only difference is the packaging. I think supermarket own brand whisky is better than Grouse and Bells, and usually considerably cheaper.

Any whisky has to be made by one of the big distilleries. The logistics of a supermarket producing and storing in casks won't work for them. Its a no brainer

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd drink fucking paint though. 

Archived