Fantastic result in what was a fairly comfortable performance and that's  without regulars such as Mckernon, Millen and mcvey. Been very impressed with Cammy Foy since he's came in the team, looking solid defensively and decent on the ball aswell. Peterhead looked very poor. Looked like they had no fight in them whilst McAllister once again trying to con the ref with a dive in the box, thankfully the  ref wasn't having it. Would like to think we're safe now and we can now look up the league without any worries and looking at the fixtures, i would say we're in with a chance for the promotion playoffs but even if we didn't it's been a terrific season. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're pretty much safe now. Regardless of what happens from here on in, it's been an absolutely terrific season. Said at the start of the season that staying in this league would be an even bigger achievement than promotion was and it looks like we've done it with a wee bit to spare. Ridiculous if we manage top 4 given our status and expectation level before the season started. However, why not? We can beat anyone on our day.

On 07/04/2017 at 23:17, Bring Your Own Socks said:

2001: we were in 7th or 8th every week from match day 24 and dropping to ninth on the last week.

2009: we were ninth every week from match day 23

Neither compare to this season. Different players, different coaches. It's fair to judge the team's chances on goals or wins, or lack of, but not the failings of players and coaches long gone. Have a bit more faith.

We're not in danger right now and tomorrow's table is just another Saturday. We've still got four more games, all winnable based on this season's performances.

Have a bit more faith.

I did say "win tomorrow and there's no danger" 

We won. No danger

Fancy zanatta for a goal tomorrow
He's due...
Thought he started really well on tues night but tailed off after his yellow for ridiculous dive
No doubt we'll see some of that from McAllister tomorrow so hope the ref is wise to it...
just saying[emoji6] and thoughts on McAllisters yellow for simulation? Looked like a pen from where I was but karma as he does collapse a lot for a big guy[emoji849] btw good to see so many of the players at quiz night looks like they play as a team and drink as a team[emoji106]

I did say "win tomorrow and there's no danger" 
We won. No danger

You did indeed. The time stamp was The Spider's comment. Thankfully the players had the belief to do the job. And I've every belief they'll take this fantastic effort right to the wire. As long as Ryan McGeever's on the pitch nobody's getting the day off.

And what about the prospect of Queen's ending up fourth and St Mirren ninth? Gus might have his day yet. Bring it on!

just saying[emoji6] and thoughts on McAllisters yellow for simulation? Looked like a pen from where I was but karma as he does collapse a lot for a big guy[emoji849] btw good to see so many of the players at quiz night looks like they play as a team and drink as a team[emoji106]

Man of vision[emoji108]

Couple of things....

1) The Referee was an absolute disgrace. Needless bookings etc. A couple decent decisions, McAllister's dive being a clear stand out. How the hell was there 7 minutes of injury time? Someone, please explain how there was 3 minutes?

2) What a season this has been for the QP!, What an achievement for the lads!

3) Nice finish from Zanatta, looks a solid player, and we'll miss him

4) Why did we insist on playing to the corner flag, 87th minute? Honestly didnt see the point, maybe in injury time -fair enough. But when there's still 5 minutes to go, and you can nick a third goal- why not?

13 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Couple of things....

1) The Referee was an absolute disgrace. Needless bookings etc. A couple decent decisions, McAllister's dive being a clear stand out. How the hell was there 7 minutes of injury time? Someone, please explain how there was 3 minutes?

2) What a season this has been for the QP!, What an achievement for the lads!

3) Nice finish from Zanatta, looks a solid player, and we'll miss him

4) Why did we insist on playing to the corner flag, 87th minute? Honestly didnt see the point, maybe in injury time -fair enough. But when there's still 5 minutes to go, and you can nick a third goal- why not?

I agree with all of this - a great season; one of the best in my lifetime; and yet the crowd is woeful. There are teams in the league below, who got bigger crowds and they weren't going for a play-off place. Am not wanting put a dampener on what was a good performance; but, the size of the crowd has to be addressed at some point.      

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

I agree with all of this - a great season; one of the best in my lifetime; and yet the crowd is woeful. There are teams in the league below, who got bigger crowds and they weren't going for a play-off place. Am not wanting put a dampener on what was a good performance; but, the size of the crowd has to be addressed at some point.      

I was going through some old programmes and it seems we weren't much better in our heyday, despite what tricks the memory can play. Bankies April 72  577 at the gate. Rovers in Jan 81 (title-winning season) 546 on a Saturday. Sept 99 (title-winning season) 642. 

Perhaps more worrying, looking around the stands is the ratio of 30+ versus younger men, and hardly any teenagers. Even the Diet Irn Bru Firm have growed up.

Newbie to forum and first post . Made it along to shamefully only my second game this season with my son and his 2 pals . Thoroughly enjoyed teams performance , especially McGeever , Zanatta and Foy. Toughest thing for Muir  to handle was probably Gus's verbals .

I was going through some old programmes and it seems we weren't much better in our heyday, despite what tricks the memory can play. Bankies April 72  577 at the gate. Rovers in Jan 81 (title-winning season) 546 on a Saturday. Sept 99 (title-winning season) 642. 
Perhaps more worrying, looking around the stands is the ratio of 30+ versus younger men, and hardly any teenagers. Even the Diet Irn Bru Firm have growed up.

The problem is, how do we lure the younger generation away from the bigger clubs of glasgow like the gruesome twosome and thistle, especially when the latter is inform. As well as this, as a teenager myself, exam season is coming up- could have played a part in a lack of teenage attendance. Your not wrong though, it is a problem which must be addressed

How to raise crowds? Get breeding! I'm intending to start bringing my wee boy to Hampden. He's three. A touch young but I'll give it a whirl in new season (he'll be 4 by then!) and see how we go.

I took him to the Thistle game in July. That was a shambles. But he enjoyed his pie at least.

16 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

The problem is, how do we lure the younger generation away from the bigger clubs of glasgow like the gruesome twosome

Yeah it's the same old problem and it will never go away unfortunately. Having lived in the area all my life it's a fact that hardly anyone gives a toss about us. If the locals aren't attending the matches of the "2 cheeks" then they are watching them on the box or listening to them on the radio. Then you have those who just wander about the streets aimlessly all day wearing their tops. Then we have the folk who would rather sit in the local pub all day watching Jeff Stelling and chums watching games on a monitor, mainly to see if their coupon comes up.

I do feel though we should still try to attract more locals to our games. The £2 concession is tremendous so well done on that score but we're not really getting the message out there.  Perhaps a similar campaign to what we did when it was our first game back at Hampden for a year...maybe free tickets to local schools and youth organisations and half price for adults a few times a season. We could also try the "pay what you like" scheme as well for a game or two. We should also reach out to the relatively new local immigrant community in Govanhill etc . Maybe we already have.. who knows? All these ideas might not be successful but we need to try something

Missed the game on Saturday as I was flying out to the USA, but was thrilled (given my lack of faith ^_^) to find out the score when I landed, and have just been enjoying the highlights. Don't know whether they provide a true impression of the game or not, but seems like Peterhead created the more clear cut opportunities? Also unable to tell how well we played or just whether the visitors were poor, but looks like Burns had a decent game judging by the good passes I was seeing?

As others have already said we now have the luxury of not looking over our shoulders any more, so hopefully we can enjoy another extended end to the season, but already a great one no matter whether we finish higher than 8th or not. Won't be back in the UK until the end of the month, so a huge thanks to those who video the games!

Missed the game on Saturday as I was flying out to the USA, but was thrilled (given my lack of faith [emoji5]) to find out the score when I landed, and have just been enjoying the highlights. Don't know whether they provide a true impression of the game or not, but seems like Peterhead created the more clear cut opportunities? Also unable to tell how well we played or just whether the visitors were poor, but looks like Burns had a decent game judging by the good passes I was seeing?
As others have already said we now have the luxury of not looking over our shoulders any more, so hopefully we can enjoy another extended end to the season, but already a great one no matter whether we finish higher than 8th or not. Won't be back in the UK until the end of the month, so a huge thanks to those who video the games!

Correct. It was actually a surprise that they never scored, but a good result!

Sad as I am I have done some work on league attendances for the past few seasons. Taking season 12-13 out, due to Rangers being in our league, we normally average between 9300 - 10180 per season.  Our worst season was 13-14 when we spent half a season at Airdrie with 7647 paying fans.  This season with 2 home games to come we are projected to have 11364 fans.  The table below shows the season, total number of fans and average per game. Interestingly last season (where we gained promotion) was one of the poorest attended seasons.

2010-2011 2011-2012 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016 2016-2017
10180 9344 7647 10948 9332 11364 
566 519 425 608 518 631

Archived