Tories failing Scotland

Shades75

2 hours ago, Antlion said:

As much as they might prefer UKish to be their nationality, they're still Scots. A significant number really do prefer Scottish not to be their nationality, but it doesn't make them less Scottish - it's the product of three centuries of the UK incorporating Scotland.

The argument that rejecting Scotland as your state makes you less Scottish is a non-starter. It's like saying independence-arguing James IV was more Scottish than his arch-unionist grandson James VI (who pissed off to London at the first opportunity). That's nonsense. Abjuring your own nation's sovereignty does, however, preclude you from being "patriotic" (despite the frequent claim to the contrary on the part of regionalists).

That's the bit I was going for but my post was really tongue in cheek

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The British state has a culture of global intervention and imperialism which a lot of Scots helped to foster. This is undeniable. That an independent Scottish state would be much more likely to reject our colonial interfering past than the current British state is also, imo, undeniable.

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The British state has a culture of global intervention and imperialism which a lot of Scots helped to foster. This is undeniable. That an independent Scottish state would be much more likely to reject our colonial interfering past than the current British state is also, imo, undeniable.

Of course we would reject colonialism and interference in the affairs of others.
Can you imagine an independent Scottish Government sending bombers half way round the world tae bomb a country.
I cannae.

The only legitimate 'interference' is through the UN or if your country was being directly attacked by another.

Thinking more about what Scotland can do on the world stage and it's quite off-putting that people equate "being a global player" to military intervention with air strikes, drones and boots on the ground. If an independent Scotland can follow on from Sturgeon offering Irish women abortion access in the Scottish NHS and her rhetoric on taking in refugees from warzones then that's an independent Scotland taking part on the global stage that I can get behind. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yes and clearly you are insinuating that their voices are therefore of lesser value than younger people. Your opinion is selfish, bigotted and plain stupidity.

I'd give them a big bag of Werthers and a Last of the Summer Wine dvd before I had them shot, if it helps.

11 hours ago, madwullie said:

Saying it out loud doesn't mean it will happen though. People need to be persuaded, not just rubbished when they bring it up as a concern, which it is for many many people who have voting ingrained into their beings

My parents have moved back to Canada. They still receive their British pension despite Canada being an entirely different country. And when they live over here they receive their Canadian pensions too!

What a world!

19 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'd reckon the Scots are among the most "warmongering nations".  Astonishing the contribution Scots regiments have made to global conflict.

Absolutely......the British Empire was built almost entirely on Scottish aggression and pillaging. 

Go to Edinburgh castle and look at the number of battles Scottish regiments were involved in down the centuries. It's mind blowing.......and pride inducing!

4 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

I'd give them a big bag of Werthers and a Last of the Summer Wine dvd before I had them shot, if it helps.

Prejudiced. sociopathic  and thick......fantastic combination for the future of Scotland !

5 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Thinking more about what Scotland can do on the world stage and it's quite off-putting that people equate "being a global player" to military intervention with air strikes, drones and boots on the ground. If an independent Scotland can follow on from Sturgeon offering Irish women abortion access in the Scottish NHS and her rhetoric on taking in refugees from warzones then that's an independent Scotland taking part on the global stage that I can get behind. 

That's a piss poor advert for independance.....we're going to kill Irish babies and give homes to people with no cultural or  familial ties to Scotland.

17 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

That's a piss poor advert for independance.....we're going to kill Irish babies and give homes to people with no cultural or  familial ties to Scotland.

It'll save the nuns the bother...

Always says a lot about the character of an individual when they place significantly more value on the welfare of fetuses than they do on living, breathing, suffering human beings fleeing war, terror and destruction. 

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Always says a lot about the character of an individual when they place significantly more value on the welfare of fetuses than they do on living, breathing, suffering human beings fleeing war, terror and destruction. 

Brilliant post.

McSpreader is a subhuman arsehole, barely able to contain his heady mix of racism & xenophobia.

6 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

Most pensioners would probably prefer to be shot before getting a Last of the Summer Wine DVD.

2 hours ago, McSpreader said:

Prejudiced. sociopathic  and thick......fantastic combination for the future of Scotland !

Well it worked for Aamar Anwar.

11 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

McSpreader is a subhuman arsehole, barely able to contain his heady mix of racism & xenophobia.

Ha ha......Too easy !

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Idiot !  I haven't said one has more value I've simply said I'll not be voting Independance because we'll be able to remove fetuses from Irish mothers' wombs. That doesn't sell it for me.

As for Syrians fleeing the war. I don't think we shouldn't help them It's just that I think bringing them thousands (?) of miles to what is probably the least compatible country in Europe isn't going to do them any good in the long term. There are probably better ways to help them.

Stopping the war would be a start.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Brilliant post.

But it wasn't though, was it?.....see above !

I really could not give a solitary f**k whether or not you vote for "Independance", you barely literate, sub-human, bigoted, waste of human skin. Please never quote my posts again. ThanQ.

(Hopefully this one doesn't get removed.)

3 hours ago, McSpreader said:

f**k up ya absolute loser.

2 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Was counter protesting a pro-life demonstration this weekend and one of the pro-lifers (when the mics were tuned up to 11) claimed that we vowed never to let something like the holocaust happen again... Then we legalised abortion. 

Archived