Tories failing Scotland

Shades75

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Why does DAFC bemoan western foreign policy then argue against Scottish independence on the basis of our global influence. Surely it should decline? Us leaving the U.K. would deal it another major body blow and force it to reign in its imperialistic pretensions.

I think he's a tease.
Once we leave the UK I couldnae give a f**k whether rUK has imperialistic pretensions.
Whit they dae in the privacy of their ain bedrooms matters not a jot tae me.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Uh, no. Even if we left I would hope the UK would stop supporting the bombing of the Middle East even if it doesn't personally affect me.

I'm the same but I'm also realistic - there is nothing we can do to stop warmongering nations like the UK & USA from bombing who they please.

22 hours ago, Shades75 said:

We'll have had 2 referendums in around 40 years when the next one comes around.  It's hardly breakneck pace.

Old people have the least to lose, in almost every single imaginable way.

You can't argue against a referendum on independence by asking "what if Brexit is a success?" because it is no counter to "what if Independence is a success?".

Old people have a lot to lose. They rely on the govt to pay their pension so they can survive. I would imagine a strong future economic plan would be of interest to them. Did they see one during the last referendum?

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Old people have a lot to lose. They rely on the govt to pay their pension so they can survive. I would imagine a strong future economic plan would be of interest to them. Did they see one during the last referendum?

Old people won't lose their pension by Scotland going independent.

8 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

If we have less money as a country will the pension be as generous? The first five plus years of independence would be tough with all the start up costs. Would expect things like benefit payments to take a small hit.  

7 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

I'm the same but I'm also realistic - there is nothing we can do to stop warmongering nations like the UK & USA from bombing who they please.

I'd reckon the Scots are among the most "warmongering nations".  Astonishing the contribution Scots regiments have made to global conflict.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

I'd reckon the Scots are among the most "warmongering nations".  Astonishing the contribution Scots regiments have made to global conflict.

I certainly don't deny that but c'mon can you really see an independent Scotland reaching for the claymores at the slightest provocation?

What I can see is in an independent Scotland there will be adverts in the media from the English Armed Forces for Scots tae fill the ranks.

Just now, Wee Willie said:

I certainly don't deny that but c'mon can you really see an independent Scotland reaching for the claymores at the slightest provocation?

I can't be sure.  Blair, Brown and Reid (all Scots) took us in to a pointless war with Iraq.  

You're saying the elected representatives of Scotland in Westminster arenae getting f**ked over.
The vast majority of them dinnae want Trident in Scotland yet we're no getting f**ked over.
The vast majority of them dinnae want tae fly halfway round the world tae bomb another country yet the UK still did it (and we're no getting f**ked over).
These warmongering c**ts in Westminster are licking their lips that Donald is gonna lead them on a Crusade.
The Tories have one Scottish MP and he is the Secretary of State for Scotland and that disnae reek of colonialism.
Oaksoft your post makes me think of the phrase 'I'm all right Jack, f**k the rest of ye'
Nae compassion for c**ts worse off than yourself.
You clearly dinnae subscribe tae this
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

IMG_1491686845.290554.jpg

34 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I can't be sure.  Blair, Brown and Reid (all Scots) took us in to a pointless war with Iraq.  

Good call but I widnae say these c**ts are Scots.
Gordon Broon was asked by an American Radio interviewer where abouts was he born.
North Britain was the prompt reply.
I think that says enough about GB and his nationality.
Nae doot AB and JR nodded in agreement when they heard about it.

48 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Just now, Wee Willie said:

Oh for sure they were/are.  Indeed, I stated a fair few times that if you want to see how Scots perform in government then look at Westminster - seeing as how Scottish politicians have dominated said parliament.

Oh for sure they were/are.  Indeed, I stated a fair few times that if you want to see how Scots perform in government then look at Westminster - seeing as how Scottish politicians have dominated said parliament.

This Scottish exceptionalism of yours is terribly wearing. RUk politicians can be just as effective.

Just now, DublinMagyar said:

This Scottish exceptionalism of yours is terribly wearing. 

I suspect you haven't followed this bit of the thread.  It goes from me regarding Scotland as a warmongering nation to me illustrating how Britain's war with Iraq was orchestrated by Scots.

I can't see how anyone can possibly take issue with it.

4 hours ago, Shades75 said:

Saying it out loud doesn't mean it will happen though. People need to be persuaded, not just rubbished when they bring it up as a concern, which it is for many many people who have voting ingrained into their beings

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I suspect you haven't followed this bit of the thread.  It goes from me regarding Scotland as a warmongering nation to me illustrating how Britain's war with Iraq was orchestrated by Scots.

I can't see how anyone can possibly take issue with it.

Scots who share your desire for Scotland to be a wee bit ignore the UK - in other words, UK nationalists. No, I don't know why that particular brand of nationalism breeds a love of international hooliganism and warmongering.

7 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

Gordon Broon was asked by an American Radio interviewer where abouts was he born.
North Britain was the prompt reply.
I think that says enough about GB and his nationality.
Nae doot AB and JR nodded in agreement when they heard about it.

As much as they might prefer UKish to be their nationality, they're still Scots. A significant number really do prefer Scottish not to be their nationality, but it doesn't make them less Scottish - it's the product of three centuries of the UK incorporating Scotland.

The argument that rejecting Scotland as your state makes you less Scottish is a non-starter. It's like saying independence-arguing James IV was more Scottish than his arch-unionist grandson James VI (who pissed off to London at the first opportunity). That's nonsense. Abjuring your own nation's sovereignty does, however, preclude you from being "patriotic" (despite the frequent claim to the contrary on the part of regionalists).

Archived