Albion Rovers v Stranraer

9 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Does he remember the famous 4 Red Card defeat at Broadwood against Airdrie when I think it was 1-1 at one point but ended up 7-1? Was Kenny Brannigan sent off etc?

Wasn't it 8-1? Stranraer scored first I think, Lex Grant and Tommy Walker sent off, can't remember who else......

Just now, scott666 said:

Wasn't it 8-1? Stranraer scored first I think, Lex Grant and Tommy Walker sent off, can't remember who else......

I am not sure but I remember thinking on the 4th Red card that we might score more goals than you had players. I will check the archive. I suspect it might have been shown on TV highlights? I was surprised that you lost so heavily at Cliftonhill . Can you please play as badly next Saturday so my trip can be enjoyed?

15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I am not sure but I remember thinking on the 4th Red card that we might score more goals than you had players. I will check the archive. I suspect it might have been shown on TV highlights? I was surprised that you lost so heavily at Cliftonhill . Can you please play as badly next Saturday so my trip can be enjoyed?

Yes it was 8-1.3rd December 1994 with a crowd of 1500-if only that now!  Airdrie won all four that season and sadly as you probably know Stranraer went down on 17 points. Much as I don't want to see you relegated this season I hope someone else loses to you in the next three games after Saturday. Was Lex Grant the centre forward? Could not find a press report for it but the local Airdrie advertiser does have back pages.( A great song by Dylan)

4 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

What was the first Cardinal.:guinness

I'm only counting games I attended, so the 8-1 drubbing doesn't count. No, it was the Play-Off final 2nd leg against Ayr last season. After two thrilling games against the Livi, I persuaded my chum to come along with the promise of excitement. What he got was a boring 0-0 draw, and then Stranraer missing all but one of their penalties. Probably not actually the worst performance I've seen, but certainly the most disappointing. 

Just while we're on the subject, my most enjoyable Stranraer game was probably my first - as a spotty teenager, I got the boat over from Belfast some 25 years ago to watch us take on Falkirk in the cup. Despite the fact that they were in the league above us (I think), we bossed them and won 2-1. Happy memories. 

8 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes it was 8-1.3rd December 1994 with a crowd of 1500-if only that now!  Airdrie won all four that season and sadly as you probably know Stranraer went down on 17 points. Much as I don't want to see you relegated this season I hope someone else loses to you in the next three games after Saturday. Was Lex Grant the centre forward? Could not find a press report for it but the local Airdrie advertiser does have back pages.( A great song by Dylan)

There's some info here,

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/////mrep/19960917003.htm

I seem to remember the talk after the game was that if one more Stranraer player had been sent off then the ref would have to abandon the game. Walker was sent off first for an off the ball incident spotted by the linesman, IIRC Grant was sent off for a deliberate studs in challenge, I can't remember the other two however I'm not surprised that Cody the legbreaker was one of the others sent off.

25 minutes ago, scott666 said:

There's some info here,

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/////mrep/19960917003.htm

I seem to remember the talk after the game was that if one more Stranraer player had been sent off then the ref would have to abandon the game. Walker was sent off first for an off the ball incident spotted by the linesman, IIRC Grant was sent off for a deliberate studs in challenge, I can't remember the other two however I'm not surprised that Cody the legbreaker was one of the others sent off.

Thanks very much for your research and have saved it to a file. I always thought Andrew Waddell was a duff referee and if he reffed today it would be abandoned games regularly given that you can hardly tackle now without a yellow. That was a really good season for us under Alex MacDonald. Was McAnespie a full back when he played-a wee tough but fair one?

Sanny McAnespie was a tough centre half for Ayr United for 18 seasons. He was as fair as any defender was able to get away with back in those days. He's also an absolute legend and a fantastic guy to listen to talking about football. Could listen to him all day.

Here's a wee excerpt from this coming Saturday's programme which answers the question of the 4th Red Card.....

"The Diamonds record victory occurred when the club had temporary residence at Broadwood Stadium. The match on 3rd December 1994 started well and Stranraer took an early lead. Thereafter the referee, Andrew Waddell decided to take centre stage and sent off 4 Stranraer players (Tommy Walker, Tommy Callaghan, Lex Grant & Stephen Cody) with the consequence that the Diamonds dominated proceedings and ran out 8-1 winners."

6 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Sanny McAnespie was a tough centre half for Ayr United for 18 seasons. He was as fair as any defender was able to get away with back in those days. He's also an absolute legend and a fantastic guy to listen to talking about football. Could listen to him all day.

Here's a wee excerpt from this coming Saturday's programme which answers the question of the 4th Red Card.....

"The Diamonds record victory occurred when the club had temporary residence at Broadwood Stadium. The match on 3rd December 1994 started well and Stranraer took an early lead. Thereafter the referee, Andrew Waddell decided to take centre stage and sent off 4 Stranraer players (Tommy Walker, Tommy Callaghan, Lex Grant & Stephen Cody) with the consequence that the Diamonds dominated proceedings and ran out 8-1 winners."

Yes I thought he was a defender and look forward to buying a programme on Saturday.

Archived