New ruling

Actually it affects any club that has players on a professional contract. Juniors, East, South, Lowland and Highland clubs are all affected. It applies to time for playing, training and travelling to away matches. So, if a club leaves at 12pm for a 3pm kick-off and gets home at 7pm they must pay all players the national minimum wage for 7 hours which is (I think) over £52 for a player that is over 25.

32 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe that HMRC has ruled that NC players are professionals and are entitled to the NMW - even though the NC form says they cannot be paid. 

Well that puts cat among pigeons in terms of SFA regulations - plenty of effectively amateur Junior/Senior clubs use NCP form to sign players who are amateurs in all but status (as they've been on a full Pro form somewhere in past). This could mean that they'd have to rethink the 'reinstate amateur' as a 'once only' move I guess to allow current NCPs to sign as amateurs if they have already made the move back before.

That's assuming HMRC are acknowledging people can opt to play for nothing as Amateurs (even if the pesudo amateur Non Contract Professional form isn't allowed)...

20 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Well that puts cat among pigeons in terms of SFA regulations - plenty of effectively amateur Junior/Senior clubs use NCP form to sign players who are amateurs in all but status (as they've been on a full Pro form somewhere in past). This could mean that they'd have to rethink the 'reinstate amateur' as a 'once only' move I guess to allow current NCPs to sign as amateurs if they have already made the move back before.

That's assuming HMRC are acknowledging people can opt to play for nothing as Amateurs (even if the pesudo amateur Non Contract Professional form isn't allowed)...

If it's enforced, it essentially means that professional players must earn at least £50-60-ish per week on average. Amateur players can be paid tax-free expenses and that is often at least what they get as part-time pros. However, clubs have no security over amateurs and get no compensation for their development. Not good for our traditional part-time clubs.

Nightmare if your wanting to make a couple quid on your prized possession, or promote from within with a view to selling in the future. Doesn't seem there is a way around this other than up expenses, buying boots for players and gloves for keepers etc.

Archived