Grand national 2017

locheedfcno1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped spreading money a few years back - by the time I put my bets on, the wife's, the boys, the MIL and other assorted hingers on it was getting ridiculous. We'd end up backing half the field and still end up with nowt.

Now I just lump on big on one ante post. Had Many Clouds at 33/1 when it won (I think) 4 years ago. That was a good weekend. But then I've been betting on the National for 20+ years and that's the only good luck story I've got...

On the same thought process, this year I've gone for Bless the Wings. Ran well to come 2nd at Cheltenham a couple of weeks back, trained by Gordon Elliot who's in form and seemed to hoover up half the prize money at Cheltenham, and is a solid old stager which is what I think you need. To finish first, first you have to finish!

66/1 when I backed it e/w with bet365 who are paying 5 places.

Probably falls at the third now...

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I stopped spreading money a few years back - by the time I put my bets on, the wife's, the boys, the MIL and other assorted hingers on it was getting ridiculous. We'd end up backing half the field and still end up with nowt.

Now I just lump on big on one ante post. Had Many Clouds at 33/1 when it won (I think) 4 years ago. That was a good weekend. But then I've been betting on the National for 20+ years and that's the only good luck story I've got...

On the same thought process, this year I've gone for Bless the Wings. Ran well to come 2nd at Cheltenham a couple of weeks back, trained by Gordon Elliot who's in form and seemed to hoover up half the prize money at Cheltenham, and is a solid old stager which is what I think you need. To finish first, first you have to finish!

Many years ago I got 1st, 2nd and 4th, nothing since. I'll probably wait for that Bet365 offer and go for a big each way single.  No idea who yet.

Cancel that. Might not even make the start line, seems to be only in as a reserve on the race card. Still, money back. Which is a better outcome than I usually get.

I will likely go for two e/w and one at shorter odds to win.

Leaning towards Saphir du Rheu as an e/w.

Will also likely go with The Last Samuri to win after backing it last year. Would be really annoyed if it won this time and I hadn't picked it.

Usually pick a couple but picked about 6 when I was down at the National last time.

Like the look of the Elliot horses Ucello Conti especially. I will probably put a bit each way on Roi Des Francs, trained by Elliot and owned by Giggingstown, they pulled a lot of their big hitters out but I think this horse could run well at a big price.

Interesting to see who Gerraghty picks, I'd imagine it would be More of That.

Also like the look of Highland Lodge at about 25/1

After cursing horse racing upside down I am back again for the National. Not going to bet till the Saturday. 

As for the big race itself I usually go for the one I fancy plus a wee potential outsider. Like folk have said I could bet half the field and get no where. 

2012 - My dark horse Chicago Grey fell early doors. 

2013 - My dark horse Chicago Grey :o Fell. 

2014 - Long Run shockingly was a faller. 

2015 - Cause of Causes 8th but hey it finished. 

2016 - Silviniaco Conti pulled up injured. 

2017 - WINNER (or fell)

Safe to say the National hasn't been a good hunting ground for me. 

17 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

After cursing horse racing upside down I am back again for the National. Not going to bet till the Saturday. 

As for the big race itself I usually go for the one I fancy plus a wee potential outsider. Like folk have said I could bet half the field and get no where. 

2012 - My dark horse Chicago Grey fell early doors. 

2013 - My dark horse Chicago Grey :o Fell. 

2014 - Long Run shockingly was a faller. 

2015 - Cause of Causes 8th but hey it finished. 

2016 - Silviniaco Conti pulled up injured. 

2017 - WINNER (or fell)

Safe to say the National hasn't been a good hunting ground for me. 

You should get faller's insurance. I was surprised to see how little the odds dropped at Cheltenham compared to the straight win.

2 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

As a Cowdenbeath fan I couldn't bring myself to betting on that.  Just a Par will win it now!

Just a Par is 50/1, I'm taking that and Highland lodge at 20/1 and Cause of causes at 14/1. Think i'll just put them on to win and none of the each way shite. 

On 04/04/2017 at 17:57, spacekid84 said:

Going to back Ucello Conti.

Waiting to see if bet365 are doing the offer they have done the last few years where the refund half your stake up to £125.

If u bet £50 or £25 e/w they will refund you £25

Woo Hoo!

grand.JPG.17e4b0aacc886b610f2aecda73bf0240.JPG

If I get it right you basically get an each way bet for the price of a single, and the refund is cash, not free bets.

Archived