Final Renfrewshire Derby of the season

5 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Surely he'd go for the win regardless of any gap given that it'd put you above Raith if you won the game and hand.

Perhaps, but he might see a draw away to a side pretty much guaranteed a play-off spot as a decent result (as indeed it would be) and be fairly cautious in the way he sets out the team. Like I said my inclination is to go 110% for a win.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it might actually work out better for us if we play Stelios at FB, Smith out wide and Loy & Sutton up front.
Despite the gap between the two teams I'd like to see JR go all out for a win on Tuesday night - make it an old fashioned blood&thunder derby!

I'd be tempted to play the current system but put Sutton through the middle and Loy can start out wide.

We ripped St Mirren apart in the previous fixture at Cappielow and 3-1 really didn't do us justice at all. Could've been at least 5/6 on another night. I don't think I've seen such a dominant performance before. 

Expecting St Mirren to be a lot better than the last time. Hoping Shankland gets another goal after today.

This is a free shot at Morton basically, getting off the bottom spot was nice but with Ayr and Raith losing and out away games coming up i feel we needed to win today.

If Morgan won't make it id play Smith on the left go 4-4-2 with Sutton and Loy up front and just go for it.

3 points here would be massive.

3 hours ago, sons'r'us said:

Looking for a Morton win here and I think we'll be safe.

get real u are safe.

But on recent form we might give Ayr 3 points on 22 April but no gifts for our Paisley friends please.

Always said Saints wouldn't finish bottom and, since I couldn't find a bet matching this prediction, had to plump for Ayr to finish bottom at around Christmas time.

Some turnaround from Saints who now look a completely different side. We've been punching above our weight and scraping by for months, and our luck appears to be running out. We've scored once in our last 4 games, from the penalty spot against hibs yesterday. We've lost to Dumbarton and Dunfermline, deservedly so in both, but also drawn twice with hibs.

In conclusion, absolutely no result would shock me here and I'd jump at any form of win.

9 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Is this the most meaingful Remfrewshire derby since the cup game?

No question. I think it's bigger than the cup game, tbh. Certainly for us, anyway. 

Stomach's already churning a bit.

Honest prediction: 2-1. I'd reverse that score if Davis and Morgan hadn't been injured.

13 hours ago, btb said:

No it might actually work out better for us if we play Stelios at FB, Smith out wide and Loy & Sutton up front.

Despite the gap between the two teams I'd like to see JR go all out for a win on Tuesday night - make it an old fashioned blood&thunder derby!

...or thud and blunder maybe.  St Mirren are inching their way out of danger and coming up with some important results they didn't seem capable of earlier in the season. We are a bit out of sorts just now and struggling to score goals/win games, but we can forget the form for this game - it has the makings of a cracker. I can't see why either side would be particularly confident tbh. A draw is my guess but I wouldn't be shocked at an away win (gutted, aye)  Perhaps it's time for Shankland to take centre stage after his goal yesterday. If he doesn't rise to this occasion, then he never will imo.

Prediction 2- 2 and at least one red card.

I'm not confident at all about our chances in this game, as we looked really poor against Dumbarton yesterday.  McGinn and Mallan were quiet and ineffective in midfield and the team as a whole look tired.

Morgan and Davis are a huge loss and it's difficult to see points coming from the next run of games at Morton Falkirk and Dundee Utd. 

2 hours ago, cornbeef said:

...or thud and blunder maybe.  St Mirren are inching their way out of danger and coming up with some important results they didn't seem capable of earlier in the season. We are a bit out of sorts just now and struggling to score goals/win games, but we can forget the form for this game - it has the makings of a cracker. I can't see why either side would be particularly confident tbh. A draw is my guess but I wouldn't be shocked at an away win (gutted, aye)  Perhaps it's time for Shankland to take centre stage after his goal yesterday. If he doesn't rise to this occasion, then he never will imo.

Prediction 2- 2 and at least one red card.

Thud & blunder - like it & will claim it as my own at some point in the future.

I'm not confident of getting a victory in this game (I don't think any Saints fan has gone that far yet) and like I said in a later post a draw would be a decent result, however we're playing well at the moment towards the top of the "form league". I just feel that the Eckersly/Stelios situation sorts itself out and that the current squad are best suited to going for the win on Tuesday night. Hopefully a good game and it'll be OK for Shankland to score as long as we get one more. 

Only a fool would make a prediction - 'Ton 1 (Shanks) - Saints 2 (Sutton, Mallan (pen))

Would like to see us rest a few players regardless of the importance of the game. We're starting to look tired mentally as well as physically, the spark ain't there. If we don't finish second we would have to play 6 games in 3 weeks which I believe would kick the arse out our team.

Line up as the following:

Gaston

Doyle
O'Ware
Kilday
Lamie

McDonagh
Tidser
Lindsay/Murdoch
Russell

Oliver (if fit)/ Kudus
Shankland.

I know Lamie & Tam have been solid the past few games but Russell has been poor defensively for a while so I've pushed him forward, let him advance and get on the ball. McDonagh replaces the off the boil Forbes, his energy and directness was a nice change yesterday. Murdoch or Lindsay so one of them get a rest, personally think Lindsay compliments Tidser better. Then Oliver and Shankland up front if Oliver is fit. Oliver is crucial to our play and you expect Shankland would be up for this especially after his goal yesterday. However if he's not fit I'd play Kudus over that joker Donnelly, Kudus has the cult hero status at the minute and I think that extra bit of backing might help him along.

Bit of a speculative team there but Duffy has done weirder things to our starting line up.

3:2 Morton.

15 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm not confident at all about our chances in this game, as we looked really poor against Dumbarton yesterday.  McGinn and Mallan were quiet and ineffective in midfield and the team as a whole look tired.

Morgan and Davis are a huge loss and it's difficult to see points coming from the next run of games at Morton Falkirk and Dundee Utd. 

There is a reason Dumbarton pull points out the bag they are very well organised. They flood midfield and get 11 men behind in defence when being attacked in other words hard to break down. On another day we would have scored that penalty and Todd's shoot would have went in.

Looking forward to the Morton game will be end to end stuff.

Where is the best bar meals in the town centre guys ?

9 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

There is a reason Dumbarton pull points out the bag they are very well organised. They flood midfield and get 11 men behind in defence when being attacked in other words hard to break down. On another day we would have scored that penalty and Todd's shoot would have went in.

Looking forward to the Morton game will be end to end stuff.

Where is the best bar meals in the town centre guys ?

The Norseman's pre -theatre deal is excellent just now. Quality cuisine with competitive pricing.

(Actually, I think there are a few decent restaurants in the town - I just don't know them personally)

Archived