The Grammar Vigilante

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4 April 2017 at 10:08, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Not really sure what you're driving at, but I would counsel against using the word "resent" in this context, as it could be confused with you re-sending an email, rather than you being disgruntled. I'd suggest editing your post and saying "I begrudge it" or "I feel aggrieved about it". 

God I'm a dick :lol:

You should resign.

On 04/04/2017 at 09:36, welshbairn said:

Apostrophe Quiz

Too ashamed to say how I did.

I got 9/10. I would argue that I was also correct with my answer below.

Correct Answer: A       The Reynoldses’ car has a flat tire, Sal Reynolds told me.

Explanation: The plural of Reynolds is Reynoldses. The car belonged to all the Reynoldses, so add an unaccompanied apostrophe to show plural possession with a word ending in s.

Your Answer: C            The Reynolds’ car has a flat tire, Sal Reynolds told me.

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:57, Shandon Par said:

You could spend all day picking holes in that quiz as it makes so many assumptions without qualifying them. How do we know the woman is not polygamous? There's an equally correct answer to the Mr Harris question missing...

If the woman was polygamous the sentence would read "Her husbands’ wallets were full of curious items."

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If the woman was polygamous the sentence would read "Her husbands’ wallets were full of curious items."

Not if they had one communal wallet - I'm envisaging some commune high in the hills in California.

From the quiz..

C)  Her husbands’ wallet was full of curious items.

32 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Not if they had one communal wallet - I'm envisaging some commune high in the hills in California.

From the quiz..

C)  Her husbands’ wallet was full of curious items.

In fairness my presumption in this case was that one man = one wallet - quite why I jumped to this conclusion when it's not one wife = one husband I've no idea.

Then again in your imagined commune I get the feeling personal property and wealth aren't really things, so it's probably moot anyway.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

A disappointing 6

Same as me. Two at least were because of lazy or rushed looking at the questions, I'd normally get it right. Found it quite useful about the rules about plurals which have always confused me. It's worth doing the quiz again to see the logic. I agree with the complaints about the Reynoldses!? Could be an American thing.

18 minutes ago, HMFC Mitchy said:

I have Advanced Higher English and was rewarded with a 4.

I have Higher English (1969, granted) and Sixth Year Studies English (1970).

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

In fairness my presumption in this case was that one man = one wallet - quite why I jumped to this conclusion when it's not one wife = one husband I've no idea.

Then again in your imagined commune I get the feeling personal property and wealth aren't really things, so it's probably moot anyway.

I think you should attend P&B cultural tolerance classes where your narrow minded, bigoted, presumptuous views can be realigned. 

Furthermore, what if curious was a noun and curious had decided to break with convention and forego a capital at the start of his/her/gender nonspecific name (like throbber). It could be curious' wallet. 

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Nine out of ten in the Apostrophes Quiz.

Although Question One is ambiguous, as we don't know whether the woman in question is a bigamist/polygamist.

Great minds think alike - see earlier posts. 

Archived