The Grammar Vigilante

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, sugna said:

When we were over in America, I was similarly corrected when I asked for a calzone: "... you mean a cal-zone!" Naw. Ah dinnae.

The pronunciation of "calzone" is a pet hate of mine that I've so far managed to keep to myself when folk have been ordering nightshift takeaways at work.

The second last vowel is stressed in Italian - I doubt even yon American fud pronounced it correctly - one day I'll snap :P

Definitely. What is it that your common or garden Weegie finds so difficult about its pronunciation?

Definately my favouritist Fratelli's song, 

Or its spelling...

(Apologies if you're not a common or garden weegie sgt)

Has anyone else reached the stage of redrafting the structure of emails to avoid using correct grammar that "people will think is wrong"? Because I certainly have, and I resent it.

The next inevitable step will be to substitute the bad-but-acceptable version.

22 minutes ago, sugna said:

Has anyone else reached the stage of redrafting the structure of emails to avoid using correct grammar that "people will think is wrong"? Because I certainly have, and I resent it.

The next inevitable step will be to substitute the bad-but-acceptable version.

Not really sure what you're driving at, but I would counsel against using the word "resent" in this context, as it could be confused with you re-sending an email, rather than you being disgruntled. I'd suggest editing your post and saying "I begrudge it" or "I feel aggrieved about it". 

God I'm a dick :lol:

Yeah, the number agreement nicely mitigates that one, though.

An example of the sort of thing I meant:

"A meeting next Wednesday is convenient for John and me."

Gawd, they'll think that "me" should be an "I". Errm...

"John and I are able to meet with you on Wednesday."

Also, the half-understanding of -ise/-ize is a minefield; and as with all minefields, I am not inclined to venture in. (I think I have mentioned here before that formal, "educated" usage tended towards -ize until relatively recently; nor was this solely the Oxford preference.)

Finally, the fear that the email recipient might be split-infinitive-phobic can engender some bitter redrafting.

Blood pressure rising. Time to exit thread.

Just now, sugna said:

Yeah, the number agreement nicely mitigates that one, though.

An example of the sort of thing I meant:

"A meeting next Wednesday is convenient for John and me."

Gawd, they'll think that "me" should be an "I". Errm...

"John and I are able to meet with you on Wednesday."

Also, the half-understanding of -ise/-ize is a minefield; and as with all minefields, I am not inclined to venture in. (I think I have mentioned here before that formal, "educated" usage tended towards -ize until relatively recently; nor was this solely the Oxford preference.)

Finally, the fear that the email recipient might be split-infinitive-phobic can engender some bitter redrafting.

Blood pressure rising. Time to exit thread.

Surely in our more enlightened times, nobody still gets worked up about split infinitives or starting / ending sentences with prepositions?

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Apostrophe Quiz

Too ashamed to say how I did.

You could spend all day picking holes in that quiz as it makes so many assumptions without qualifying them. How do we know the woman is not polygamous? There's an equally correct answer to the Mr Harris question missing...

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Or its spelling...

(Apologies if you're not a common or garden weegie sgt)

You definitely need to look at the context and the other grammatical nuances used, to get the intended joke.

Archived