The Grammar Vigilante

The grammar police on here are nothing compared to...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3242582/word-vigilante-night-correct-signs-apostrophes/

Has anybody on here snuck out in the middle of the night to paint an apostrophe on a business sign?  If so then did you achieve your goal?

Does anybody have any suggestions for local businesses whose details can be passed on to this hero to fix? 

Does anybody have a better idea for his superhero name other than 'The Grammar Vigilante'? 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other side of the coin, I recall in the mid to late 90's there was a vigilante group in the scheme I grew up in, Whitecrook, who proclaimed themselves the "Anti Smack Crew" or ASC for short. They were more famous for spray painting "NO HERION IN WHITECROOK" on the wall of a local nursery than for their ability to prevent the sale of hard drugs in the scheme. To their credit I never have been aware of any herion circulating the area.

Since then he has put a stop to dozens of other rogue apostrophes around the city – including a hairdressers, estate agents and garages.

That's the thing 'bout 'postrophes: folks are always keen to remove the rogues, but slower to reinstate them as are missin'.

23 minutes ago, sugna said:

One word.

Panini's.

Too right. Panini is already pluralised so the "s" is superfluous. I would hope, sugna, that when you go into your local panini shop for your lunch, you request a panino and not a panini. 

Too right. Panini is already pluralised so the "s" is superfluous. I would hope, sugna, that when you go into your local panini shop for your lunch, you request a panino and not a panini. 

He will now.

11 minutes ago, printer said:

He will now.

As I suspect you know, I always ask for a bacon and brie panino. Fortunately, the barmaid in the Carriers Quarters [sic] always reads it back as "one bacon panini with brie". I think that she hopes I'll get it right one day.

When we were over in America, I was similarly corrected when I asked for a calzone: "... you mean a cal-zone!" Naw. Ah dinnae.

Archived