The Grammar Vigilante

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

In fact, f**k apostrophes. Can we have a serious conversation on P&B's collective inability to differentiate between seen and saw properly, please?

Okay.  You cannot seen a piece of wood in two with a seen.

23 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I agree, so I got 10/10.

Reynoldses' just sounds and reads so clumsy. I can understand it avoids possible confusion about the rightful individual or collective ownership of the car, but you would get that by context. Americans are silly. Clumsy also looks very wrong, but clumbsy is a no go I suppose.

6 hours ago, Darren said:

I got 9/10. I would argue that I was also correct with my answer below.

Correct Answer: A       The Reynoldses’ car has a flat tire, Sal Reynolds told me.

Explanation: The plural of Reynolds is Reynoldses. The car belonged to all the Reynoldses, so add an unaccompanied apostrophe to show plural possession with a word ending in s.

Your Answer: C            The Reynolds’ car has a flat tire, Sal Reynolds told me.

You had exactly the same answers as me, Darren, with identical reasoning. "Reynoldses" indeed!

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2017 at 09:34, Shandon Par said:

I was the same. Reynoldses. f**k off.

To be fair, we do say 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

I got it wrong.  f**k the Reynoldses.  And f**k the Joneses, too.

2 hours ago, The DA said:

To be fair, we do say 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

I got it wrong.  f**k the Reynoldses.  And f**k the Joneses, too.

So you can't be bothered with the keeping up with the Joneseses brigade.  Fine.

The grammar police on here are nothing compared to...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3242582/word-vigilante-night-correct-signs-apostrophes/
Has anybody on here snuck out in the middle of the night to paint an apostrophe on a business sign?  If so then did you achieve your goal?
Does anybody have any suggestions for local businesses whose details can be passed on to this hero to fix? 
Does anybody have a better idea for his superhero name other than 'The Grammar Vigilante'? 

I have not, but there is no excuse for poor grammar

For ages, there was a big banner advertisement outside the Mitchell Street car park in Glasgow that would do my tits in. I forget what it was for, but it featured a name like 'Jones', only they'd b*****dised it to Jones'es. Fucking Jones'es.

Anyway, does anyone know if Bandeath Industrial Estate still has a roadsign outside reading 'DEATH TRIAL STATE'? I appreciated the care with which some nutter had very carefully scraped off the lettering to evoke images of Texas in the wooly wilds of Throsk.

5 hours ago, The Mantis said:

9/10. Fucked by the Reynoldses. Does a thread need a minimum number of page's to be gold?

No, just a minimum number of incorrect apostrophes.

Archived