Airdrie vs Brechin

35 minutes ago, slangs said:

Each game players make mistakes yesterday hill faffing in the wrong area cost us a goal. no? Buzz fannying about wasting time we didn't have over a ball boy I'm not saying they hav let us down all season these guy r well paid and seasoned pro's I just expect more from them in every game that's my take on it. As for Lynas no I'm not he and certainly don't think he's a better choice than Dyer I thought the way they dropped him was wrong. by all means get ur best players back but the young guy has done well leaving him out will have done nothing for his confidence

Em I'd need to see highlights but pretty sure ally love losing the ball and James dale losing the ball cost us the first and third, hill had no blame and it's redic that u can say buzz let uz down for time wasting, clutching at straws there 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really disappointing performance and result yesterday. A win would have put us in a very strong position going into the last 4 games, particularly with East Fife losing. Looks like it's going to go right down to the wire.

We just never really got going and sloppy mistakes led to the 3 goals. We did create a few chances and most of our joy came from balls over the top to Jackson so I'm surprised we didn't continue exploiting that.

Thought the away support in terms of numbers was extremely poor yesterday which I thought was surprising given the significance of the game. I've only seen less numbers on the supporters bus for trips to Stranraer. Brechiners get off your arse and support your team! They really don't understand how lucky they are for a place of our size to have a team challenging for championship football.

48 minutes ago, 'Steve said:

Really disappointing performance and result yesterday. A win would have put us in a very strong position going into the last 4 games, particularly with East Fife losing. Looks like it's going to go right down to the wire.

We just never really got going and sloppy mistakes led to the 3 goals. We did create a few chances and most of our joy came from balls over the top to Jackson so I'm surprised we didn't continue exploiting that.

Thought the away support in terms of numbers was extremely poor yesterday which I thought was surprising given the significance of the game. I've only seen less numbers on the supporters bus for trips to Stranraer. Brechiners get off your arse and support your team! They really don't understand how lucky they are for a place of our size to have a team challenging for championship football.

Sorry min. 

Really disappointing not to at least get a point yesterday but we have always struggled at Airdrie's ground wasn't there due to work commitments so can't comment on the performance. Was surprised to see Lynas dropped put in a great shift against livi clearly dods thought dyer was a better option. Another big game next week hopefully put in the same performance we did the last time we were there.

2 hours ago, 'Steve said:

739 at the last game in November and I think 676 yesterday which might well be missing Airdrie "fans" but it can be costly going to away games in general so maybe you'll improve next season when I fear we will still both be in League 1 ( or three in old money).

6 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

739 at the last game in November and I think 676 yesterday which might well be missing Airdrie "fans" but it can be costly going to away games in general so maybe you'll improve next season when I fear we will still both be in League 1 ( or three in old money).

Think its more to do with missing Airdrie fans. Many have gave up on this season even though we are still pushing for the play offs. 

Ive not been to a home game in several weeks. 

Just now, The clean living guy said:

Think its more to do with missing Airdrie fans. Many have gave up on this season even though we are still pushing for the play offs. 

I did say might but I can understand why some have given up; without my season ticket I might have done the same but old habits die hard so I would have gone to feel less guilty about missing out on the unexpected.

Having watched the highlights, criticism of Ferguson not coming for the punt that led to the corner and Brechin's goal is a bit harsh, it looks like he would have made the ground to get the ball before the striker, also he should have every right to expect the 2 defenders to have dealt with it IMHO.

I've given up on this season. Haven't been for about 8 weeks and certainly don't miss it. It's becoming a chore watching this Airdrie team and I'm afraid the price of a season ticket can't be justified nor the price of match day entry. I won't be back until Wilson and Daziel are gone.

I'd almost forgotten what it felt like to win comfortably at home!

We were excellent in the first half and it looked like we were finally going to dish out the pumping we have all been talking about since the start of the season, but alas a defensive f**k up from a corner meant that wasn't going to be the case.

For the first ten minutes after half time we were all over the place and were lucky not to concede again, however Russell's second calmed us down a bit and the win didn't really look in doubt.

Andy Ryan had an absolute nuke. Nothing he tried came off and every time he got the ball our play broke down. Unusual for a player who has performed so consistently well all season, but shows the guys class that it's taken him until April to have a bad game.

Fortunately for us Russell stepped up to the plate and had his best game for ages. I've been his biggest detractor this season but he's really pulled his socks up in the last handful of games, most likely due to being put back up front where he belongs. He has looked a different player to the one we've been watching for most of the season.

Both Hutton and Conroy controlled the game and the two wing backs were much improved, it was a joy to watch at times.

Leitch went missing for most of the game and the back four (the three centre halves and Rohan) still strike the the fear of God in me, however if the rest of the players are as good going forward as they were yesterday we'll get away with it.

A massive four games ahead of now, I really hope we can pick up another couple of wins which should (incredibly) secure our play off place.

Cue us getting comfortably beaten away to Stranraer next weekend.

48 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

I've given up on this season. Haven't been for about 8 weeks and certainly don't miss it. It's becoming a chore watching this Airdrie team and I'm afraid the price of a season ticket can't be justified nor the price of match day entry. I won't be back until Wilson and Daziel are gone.

I can see how you feel but I was down at Cliftonhill last week and the full price entry was 14 quid so I don't think ours at 16 is too bad for the facilities etc  if only we had been properly managed for most of the season( Not just MW). Come back if we win at Stranraer for another tilt at Alloa?

I can see how you feel but I was down at Cliftonhill last week and the full price entry was 14 quid so I don't think ours at 16 is too bad for the facilities etc  if only we had been properly managed for most of the season( Not just MW). Come back if we win at Stranraer for another tilt at Alloa?

£16 for for 18 home games equates to £288, our season ticket is £235- a saving of £53 over the season, pretty pish imo. The value for money at Airdrie is rock bottom. The thing is, we haven't been properly managed since Bollan (I wasn't a Bollan fan but id have him back in a heartbeat). The appointment of EWB was a joke to say the least and it was almost a blessing when Lennon took over towards the tale end of last season. Once it was confirmed that EWB wouldn't be returning Lennon should've at least been offered the job rather than promoting again from within. Kevin McBride to his credit didn't do too badly considering he was thrown in at the deep end to a club with no direction or plan for the season ahead. Our full time stint has been embarrassing, it could be up there with Dunfermline the season they finished 6th or 7th. We appointed a DoF to carry out a 'football review' and look what good that's done, he doesn't even attend games yet makes such key decisions. We have Mark Wilson who is completely out his depth imo and you just have to look at the 4-2 game against Stenny to understand why I think this- we were down to 10 men and 2-1 down, we then brought it back to 2-2... any other manager would've freshened things up. Our manager instead waited until we were 3-2 down with 3 minutes to go until he made his FIRST sub, I'd have sacked him there and then. Then we go on this horrendous run of form where there seems to be even less direction and even less effort from the players and he starts having a go at the people who ultimately make it happen, that's why I won't be back until both are gone. The club is a shambles and this season can't end quickly enough. If it does end how I think it will, without a play off then Wilson has to go. We cannot afford to take all this negativity into another season for 2 reasons. 1- we won't go anywhere, it'll stagnate and probably get worse and 2- even more people will become like myself, fed up of the nonsense and will stay away. Thatll ultimately kill the club.

6 hours ago, 'Steve said:

I d nvr critcise the die hards who have time money and patience to go to away games ..Been there done that ... Folks circumstances change ... The standard of footys changed under Darren ... Guess i ve lost interest as have a few others ... i now know we always start off poorly in games and really only turn up last 15 minutes if we re still in the game as theres no plan B (maybe exagerrating a tad ).... We re missing something from recent years ... I m not bein critical its just my opinion .... i like most enjoy my away days but just lost the urge just now .... 

16 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Fortunately for us Russell stepped up to the plate and had his best game for ages. I've been his biggest detractor this season but he's really pulled his socks up in the last handful of games, most likely due to being put back up front where he belongs. He has looked a different player to the one we've been watching for most of the season.

Was going to say the exact same has looked more interested since Rovers game and now played as out and out striker much improved, less sniping at refs & fighting for 50/50s or tracking back when needed. Should have got a fully deserved hat trick (great pass from Brown).

For me on Saturday the midfield won it though, Hutton has been outstanding last few weeks & Conroy returning to his best all three passes to get the goals were defense splitting from the three key midfielders. Stewart pass was inspired given he taken a bad knock few minutes before.

Team has a better shape with three at the back and the wing backs going forward/ tracking back as needed.

Gorman still has no clue how to deal with a high ball through the middle once he sorts that out could be a lot steadier in defense & might give the keeper some confidence.

Gorman still has no clue how to deal with a high ball through the middle once he sorts that out could be a lot steadier in defense & might give the keeper some confidence. You might be right but he does tend to head it away whilst Mensing on Saturday loses it completely and then blames the goalie and/or Gorman

19 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

I d nvr critcise the die hards who have time money and patience to go to away games ..Been there done that ... Folks circumstances change ... The standard of footys changed under Darren ... Guess i ve lost interest as have a few others ... i now know we always start off poorly in games and really only turn up last 15 minutes if we re still in the game as theres no plan B (maybe exagerrating a tad ).... We re missing something from recent years ... I m not bein critical its just my opinion .... i like most enjoy my away days but just lost the urge just now .... 

I for one haven't lost interest, just trying to make use of my golf membership. I think this highlights one of the drawbacks that summer football would bring.  With the better weather, some  people have other pursuits and commitments. 

21 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Gorman still has no clue how to deal with a high ball through the middle once he sorts that out could be a lot steadier in defense & might give the keeper some confidence. You might be right but he does tend to head it away whilst Mensing on Saturday loses it completely and then blames the goalie and/or Gorman

Was thinking more when ball goes over his head and turns facing goal allowing striker in. Agree on Mensing though. 

1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Was thinking more when ball goes over his head and turns facing goal allowing striker in. Agree on Mensing though. 

Yes I can see your point; lets hope he can see the ball in plenty of time. I thought Mensing might steady us up but it has nor turned out that way.

I thought Mensing would help at the back but as has been mentioned he's not great in the air for a centre back and really slow on the turn. I think we'd benefit from playing a deeper line as there would less space in behind to expose him and Gorman, and also mean Ferguson's deep starting position wasn't such an issue. It would mean conceding  territory a bit but I don't see that as a problem, infact I think that suits us more to play on the counter, like the second and third goals on Saturday. Certainly a repeat of Saturday's defensive position will only end in disaster, we were extremely fortunate to only concede one.

Archived