Airdrie vs Brechin

1 minute ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

I hear the guid folk who edit the Dictionary of the Scots Language are updating their definition for the word riddy - which will now be defined with a photo of Darren Dods having a big greetin tantrum about the ballboy.  

I never saw the actual "incident" but Dodd's reaction was brilliant. Any insights as to what happened? maybe we sould do what the Pars did years ago; take the ballboys away from the away end?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was there that day. Dunfermline were winning at half time. My recollection was that they removed all the ball boys at half time but I could be wrong. Was a big promotion match.

Yup pretty sure it was Bert Paton and Dick Campbell's masterstroke. MacDonald took the Airdrie players who weren't playing, in their suits, down from the stand to act as ball boys.

On today, the goalkeeper was the one who wasted all the time moaning to the referee. What on earth can the referee do ? Add on the half a second for the well executed lob ?

If the shoe was on the other foot, yes I would be shouting at the ball boy. As it was an Airdrie ball boy I clapped the hero up the tunnel. I'm sure that would happen at 99% of grounds, Brechin the exception of course.

Yes we were poor today, but if we had taken the chances we had we could have at least had a draw. Jackson and Trouten had chances with only the keeper to beat (like Russell who took his) but couldn't find the shot. Fusco had a clear shot from about 10 yards but, as usual, he blasted it well over the bar. Jackson got between your 2 central defenders on a couple of occasions and was unlucky with his header just before our goal.
We gave the ball away for the first and third goals and that led to one pass to Russell who got 2 goals. Airdrie's second goal came after a Brechin corner when 2 shots were blocked and Airdrie broke away to score easily. However, we got exactly what we deserved from the game.
As for the ball boy incident - he should just get the ball back to the player and not try to be a smartass. Airdrie did the right thing in replacing him but the fans shouldn't have treated him like a hero. He's supposed to represent his club and I would expect Brechin to sack a ball boy if he did that for us.
On to Alloa next week and hope the defence gets sorted out and strikers have their shooting boots on for that game.
Mon the Hedge!

And if we had taken the rest of our chances today we'd have been out of sight.

Listen to yourself, calling for a ballboy to be sacked for ripping the piss out of your keeper and showing up your manager.

2 hours ago, waysider said:

I take it you don't agree with me? Sorry if I hurt your feelings about "Rohan". At least you called it right by leaving Russell out of your starting eleven this week. Utter numpty.

Are you Russell's grandad ffs?   He took his 2 tap ins well after great work from Hutton and Stewart.   

You still slate Gorman who has once again steadied the defence and constantly destroy a teenager goalie ffs.  No mention of his wonder save today.

Well done Waysnider, you really are my HERO.

17 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Are you Russell's grandad ffs?   He took his 2 tap ins well after great work from Hutton and Stewart.   

You still slate Gorman who has once again steadied the defence and constantly destroy a teenager goalie ffs.  No mention of his wonder save today.

Well done Waysnider, you really are my HERO.

I'm sure everyone will be delighted to hear that this is my last word on this particular matter regardless of whatever abuse you respond with. I am not Russell's grandad. That's Ian McMillan. I am just a fan who thinks a player who looks like scoring 20 goals in a season is worth a place in the team unlike yourself who a couple of days ago did not think him worth a start. You no doubt, as in all things, will be correct.

i make no apologies about Ferguson. Gorman does sometimes play well and was ok today but he was left for dead a couple of times by through balls. 

6 minutes ago, waysider said:

I'm sure everyone will be delighted to hear that this is my last word on this particular matter regardless of whatever abuse you respond with. I am not Russell's grandad. I am just a fan who thinks a player who looks like scoring 20 goals in a season is worth a place in the team unlike yourself who a couple of days ago did not think him worth a start. You no doubt, as in all things, will be correct.

What was the opportunity cost of those 13 goals (not counting the pens as they're not real goals)

6 minutes ago, waysider said:

i make no apologies about Ferguson. Gorman does sometimes play well and was ok today but he was left for dead a couple of times by through balls. 

No excuses for you,  626 posts of pure poison.

Who would have thought that playing Russell more centrally would be more productive?! Two excellent finishes.

Thought we played well going forward, but are still terrible defensively. Brechin should have scored at least 3 and did nothing to earn any of the chances apart from chip simple balls over the top which Mensing and Gorman dealt with shambolically. Gorman never has a clue what he is doing positionally and his distribution is as bad as I've seen. He just consistently shovels the ball out the park or, on the rare occasion it stays in the park, is a pointless chipped ball which the opposition defence win with ease. He'd be a good kicker in rugby. McIntosh is exactly the same only a mirror image with his right foot, both really poor technically. McIntosh at least seems to at least be a bit more aware of how to play the position though. Ferguson's positioning is also dreadful, but nothing new there.

Hutton was excellent and I think he's been really underated since he came in, he's always in the top 2-3 performers when he plays. Russell looks far better through the middle (obviously), Conroy was far more involved and had more impact on the game which is what he's needed to do. Leitch was Leitch, some nice moments but drifts in and out. The wingback roles play to their strengths, all either can really do is run, and neither can defend, so it gives them  bit more security.

Wilson deserves credit for finally finding the best system for our players, given what we have I think that's as good as we'll get. The defence is still a disaster but until we get some defenders in there's not much else we can do.

Time to mention the Elephant in the room that was the Brechin goal, how the hell did Leitch manage to misjudge the flight of the ball so badly he simply stood still and let the ball skite off the top of his head, a real howler?

Expected far more from Brechin today who would have gone 6 ahead of us with 4 games to go with a win and would have been short odds for a playoff. As ot is with only 4pts between 3rd and 7th and 12pts to play for, we're in for an interesting 4 weeks.

Going forward, that's as good as I've seen us in ages.  The defence still looks shambolic, and we were really creaking in the period leading up to our third goal.  That was the goal that killed the game, and it's as well that it did, because Brechin were creating opportunities.  By and large, though, their finishing was atrocious, with shots going either straight down Ferguson's throat or nowhere near the target.  The exception was a shot from Watt, which Ferguson did very well to keep out.  From a defensive point of view, it was worrying that when Brechin got a corner early in the second half, our defenders had apparently learnt nothing from their goal, and didn't have a man on the back post.  Wilson and Fitzpatrick were both shouting at them to get a man there, but nobody followed their instructions.  Why not?  And why isn't this drilled into them in training, so everyone knows where they should be at corners, and actually goes there?  A team with better finishing than Brechin had today would have had us ruing all the chances we let them have.

But as I say, going forward was much better.  Conroy and Hutton were very good - Leitch rather anonymous and not very influential.  Scott Stewart had a very good game, I thought, and did so well to create the third goal.  Russell took his two goals well - not sure what he was doing taking a corner in the first half, though.  We need him on the end of balls into the box, not sending them in.  In fact our dead balls, especially in the first half, were again pretty poor.  

I thought MacDonald was certain to miss his chance (not the guy you usually want going in there for attacks) but he kept his cool, too.  Pleased for him.  All three of our goals were nicely worked, in fact.  Good passing for them. 

We weren't great (again, no lack of sloppy passing), but didn't need to be to beat a poor Brechin team.  It's an important result for us.  We've won a couple of games recently, but only against two very poor teams at the wrong end of the table.  To beat a playoff rival is a different matter, and with other results going our way, it was a good day for us.  I've hoped that good results would give us confidence going forward a few times this season, and usually been badly disappointed by the end of the following game.  Even so, we should go on from today and get a positive result against Stranraer.  Surely?  It's in our hands now.

Love,Dale,Hill Buzz. In no way I'm comparing Dyer n Lynas I'm sure the lad could have started then subbed if that's what the coaches wanted,to leave him out totally is not for me the way to do it.it was Airdrie we were playing not Celtic.I'm sure Lynas cud hav done a job

This result probably sums up this league during the season one week you beat a team and they are not great on the day, next time you play they beat you and its your turn to play poorly and leave opposition fans asking how did they mange to beat us last time. Below Livi there is not much between any of the sides all have had their goods days and their bad days overall pretty poor standard in the league all round

3 hours ago, slangs said:

Love,Dale,Hill Buzz. In no way I'm comparing Dyer n Lynas I'm sure the lad could have started then subbed if that's what the coaches wanted,to leave him out totally is not for me the way to do it.it was Airdrie we were playing not Celtic.I'm sure Lynas cud hav done a job

Hill and buzz let us down yesterday?

how???? Buzz and hill did nothing wrong?

hill constantly going into tackles and gives 100% probably between him and Jacko for our player of the year

buzz no chance with the 3 goals and saves a one on one? Hes had one bad mistake against Alloa this year but been solid

How have these guys been letting us down all season

Why would you play lynas when dyer is available ???? 

Are you lynas? Your constantly the only one wanting him to play! He's done ok but to finish up the league I'm happy to sacrifice a decent player for a better one

A good win and as comfortable a performance as I've seen this season. Credit to Wilson for picking a system that the players are comfortable with and can play effectively. Or is that the Sandy Stewart effect? 

Hutton had largely been anonymous in the games I'd seen him play but he was excellent yesterday. Him and Conroy ran the midfield and both played their part in goals. Some of Conroy's passing and overall play was sublime. Leitch had less of an impact on the game than the other two but still played some decent passes here and there.

Russell took both his goals well and should have had a hat - trick. He had a much better game playing centrally but regardless, 18 goals this season is not to be sniffed at.  He's not the player he once was but the fact some people claim he hasn't done anything this season is laughable. 

Ryan had a quiet game and sclaffed at a few shots but he still played a quality pass in the build up to the 2nd goal. 

Stewart also had a good game. That was a great run to set up the 3rd goal. The wingback role suits him and MacDonald much better. 

Still looking shaky in defence though. Ferguson should have done much better for the goal. If he comes out and collects it there's no corner and no goal. But I really do feel for him. His confidence is clearly at a real low right now (as saw when the same thing happened at the start of the 2nd half but he still didn't come out for the ball) and he's been totally hung out to dry by the club. Kudos to him though and the excellent save he made in the 2nd half. Hopefully he can get to the end of the season and then have a well-deserved rest during pre - season. Hopefully by then we'll have another keeper too who he can work with and who can challenge and cover for each other as well as a proper goalie coach.

As said, a good result and performance. However, one of our main weaknesses this season, bar when Wilson first came in, is our inability to string a run of decent results together. If there's a time to rectify that it is now.

4 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

This result probably sums up this league during the season one week you beat a team and they are not great on the day, next time you play they beat you and its your turn to play poorly and leave opposition fans asking how did they mange to beat us last time. Below Livi there is not much between any of the sides all have had their goods days and their bad days overall pretty poor standard in the league all round

I agree with that analysis and the last four games will produce more of it. Could be anyone in 3/4 position apart from the bottom two. means that there are still lots of games to "enjoy"

Things are now in our own hands but having looked at the fixtures Brechin and EF definitely have an easier run in than us.

Apparently Stranraer were rubbish yesterday so that probably means they'll be good next week given the strange league we're in!

Each game players make mistakes yesterday hill faffing in the wrong area cost us a goal. no? Buzz fannying about wasting time we didn't have over a ball boy I'm not saying they hav let us down all season these guy r well paid and seasoned pro's I just expect more from them in every game that's my take on it. As for Lynas no I'm not he and certainly don't think he's a better choice than Dyer I thought the way they dropped him was wrong. by all means get ur best players back but the young guy has done well leaving him out will have done nothing for his confidence

Archived