Potential spoiler - don't come in here if you haven't seen Wrestlemania

Dindeleux

Now that it appears to be over, where does the Undertaker rank in terms of Greatest WWF/E performers of all time?

Not a more mainstream name than Hogan or Rock but in terms of longevity, commitment and overall popularity I would place him at the top of the list. He's had some dreadful matches and angles ,some phenomenal matches and angles, and just has an aura about him that is incredible.

What do you think?

Now that it appears to be over, where does the Undertaker rank in terms of Greatest WWF/E performers of all time?

Not a more mainstream name than Hogan or Rock but in terms of longevity, commitment and overall popularity I would place him at the top of the list. He's had some dreadful matches and angles ,some phenomenal matches and angles, and just has an aura about him that is incredible.

What do you think?

Number 1 for me.

He was the guy that all the talent went to for any problems/advice, never broke character out with the ring.

In the ring he told incredible stories. Even when you look at last night, it was the old dog trying one last stand and just coming up short.

7 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

What do you think?

Perhaps not quite as mainstream as the two you mentioned, but the BBC News had an article about his retirement today. And unlike The Rock and Hogan, he wasn't known for anything other than wrestling. 

Little did I realise when I was around 11 years old and staying up till 3am to secretly watch NWA Wrestling with a young Mean Mark Callous, that 28 years later I'd be watching the retirement of the same chap. Aye, he should have retired a few years ago, but he went out in style - no soppy speeches or tears ... (here's hoping he doesn't appear on TNA in a few month's time). 

I wouldn't have him in my top 10 and probably not even my top 20. For years he was shite. And then he got slightly better with the biker thing, but improved year on year after that. By the time the late 2000s rolled in, he became a properly great wrestler. But you've got all sorts of guys all over the world who were better for longer who deserve the praise more. And yet people seem to forget how pish he was early on.

I wouldn't have him in my top 10 and probably not even my top 20. For years he was shite. And then he got slightly better with the biker thing, but improved year on year after that. By the time the late 2000s rolled in, he became a properly great wrestler. But you've got all sorts of guys all over the world who were better for longer who deserve the praise more. And yet people seem to forget how pish he was early on.

To be fair he was asked to carry some shit between 1992-97. Giant Gonzalez, 90s Kamala, Yoko, IRS to name a few. Not many people got good matches out of that lot and to go through duff like that, without being able to pull them to a good match, and still get your gimmick over in a big way is pretty impressive.

Personally I was far more favourable towards him in this period due to my age and that mystique he had around him at the time. I wasn't a big fan of the American Badass and return to the normal Deadman gimmick and, a few WMs against HBK and HHH aside, I wouldn't be too excited by his matches.

Not my personal #1 of all time but that is personal preference, in terms of overall impact with one company I'd be keen to know who else can match that who was working with a company to similar size as WWF/E.

Man needs to write a book. Unlikely though. You get the impression that he's very very private but that might also be down to the dedication to his character as he's so unwilling to break kayfabe. You know he's done superbly when you're thinking "holy shit" when he goes to kiss his wife... 

It was only a year and half ago he was on another great run with Brock Lesnar, when you look at that and the WrestleMania match this year it's amazing the huge gap in quality. In all honesty though it probably was the perfect ending for him. You could tell throughout that Reigns and Taker were frustrated with the way the match was turning out and it was a shame it didn't come out a little bit smoother. Taker usually choreographs and perfects the match in the week leading up to Mania but in his condition I highly doubt they did any physical preparation for it at all.

Looking forward to seeing how they use the big dog now though. 

I'll say this though. I can't think of anyone who's played a character better. Especially in the early days. He had a horrendous time as the biker initially but about 2003, he grew into it, and then got injured. When he came back as the dead man, he went on a proper tear. Improved year on year.

I'd still not have him anywhere near my all time greats, but thinking more about it, I wouldn't begrudge him a place in that sort of level.

On 05/04/2017 at 16:12, JamieStevenson said:

Man needs to write a book. Unlikely though. You get the impression that he's very very private but that might also be down to the dedication to his character as he's so unwilling to break kayfabe. You know he's done superbly when you're thinking "holy shit" when he goes to kiss his wife... 

It was only a year and half ago he was on another great run with Brock Lesnar, when you look at that and the WrestleMania match this year it's amazing the huge gap in quality. In all honesty though it probably was the perfect ending for him. You could tell throughout that Reigns and Taker were frustrated with the way the match was turning out and it was a shame it didn't come out a little bit smoother. Taker usually choreographs and perfects the match in the week leading up to Mania but in his condition I highly doubt they did any physical preparation for it at all.

Looking forward to seeing how they use the big dog now though. 

No it wasn't. The perfect ending for him would have been to bow out after a great match, preferably putting over some less well established guy, who had just broken the streak. Since Mania 30, his appearances have been pretty worthless.

On 05/04/2017 at 16:17, Randy Giles said:

I'll say this though. I can't think of anyone who's played a character better. Especially in the early days. He had a horrendous time as the biker initially but about 2003, he grew into it, and then got injured. When he came back as the dead man, he went on a proper tear. Improved year on year.

I'd still not have him anywhere near my all time greats, but thinking more about it, I wouldn't begrudge him a place in that sort of level.

Pipe down. Taker is easily an all time great. He's got a hugely impressive body of work with loads of classic matches and angles (and moments). 

Don't think his body of work is that much better than the likes of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Mick Foley, Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuharu Misawa, Jushin Liger, Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio Jr. And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure if I were to actually look, I could find shitloads more guys who I'd see as having a better load of matches.

It's all down to opinion of course, so quite why there's a need for the "pipe down" comment, I have no idea.

Was having stellar matches in AJPW and WCW for about 15 years solid, and had a great start to his WWE run before getting punted to Heat. I don't see what's wrong with that suggestion. His only problem was that he had f**k all charisma.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

No it wasn't. The perfect ending for him would have been to bow out after a great match, preferably putting over some less well established guy, who had just broken the streak. Since Mania 30, his appearances have been pretty worthless.

You're talking about a perfect ending that couldn't happen.... The relevant perfect ending is an old guy that can't do anything getting put down once and for all. And there's no way Vince is putting Taker in with a less established guy in his final match. Makes sense to hand over the yard to Roman, a petty feud sure but it had to be done.

Give Taker another couple of year and Vince will probably attempt to roll him out again for another match.

Old man that can't cut it anymore or not - Taker's name alone = money at Mania time.

Archived