The Championship Run In

Thank God for playoffs.
4 teams can be relegated 
4 teams can finish 9th
3 teams have to decide between 2, 3, 4
2 games to go (except for Raith)
Saturday April 29 will be a big weekend for this league.

Would say Morton are out of the running for 2nd now, possibly even third.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank God for playoffs.
4 teams can be relegated 
4 teams can finish 9th
3 teams have to decide between 2, 3, 4
2 games to go (except for Raith)
Saturday April 29 will be a big weekend for this league.

One of the best things to happen to the Scottish game in recent years hands down.

One of the best things to happen to the Scottish game in recent years hands down.

Before yesterday's games. I noticed someone put on twitter that every team in League 2, League 1 and Championship could either be relegated or Promoted still with 3 games to go. That's unreal considering it used to be only 1 or 2 meaningful games a week at this stage in the Championship/First Division.

Would say Morton are out of the running for 2nd now, possibly even third.

A ridiculous thing to say as we sit 4 points behind them with 2 games to play, one of them being Morton vs. Dundee United. If they fail to beat Dumbarton, 2nd will come down to the last game of the season. We're definitely in the worst position, but hardly out of the running.

11 minutes ago, MonEhTon said:

A ridiculous thing to say as we sit 4 points behind them with 2 games to play, one of them being Morton vs. Dundee United. If they fail to beat Dumbarton, 2nd will come down to the last game of the season. We're definitely in the worst position, but hardly out of the running.

We're not out of it but performances and results would have to vastly improve. I fully expect us to be putting out weakened teams over the next couple of weeks to give the players a rest before the play-offs.

Ridiculous thing to say? You are 5 points behind Falkirk in 2nd which is effectively 6 points with their vastly superior goal difference. You are out of the running for 2nd which was the post I quoted.

I then went on to say, possibly even third. "Possibly" being the main word there. Dundee United have a better goal difference as well( albeit only slightly better). You would need to win both your final games to get into 3rd spot and with your current form, I struggle to see that happening.

So in summary, hardly a 'ridiculous thing to say'.

Ridiculous thing to say? You are 5 points behind Falkirk in 2nd which is effectively 6 points with their vastly superior goal difference. You are out of the running for 2nd which was the post I quoted.

I then went on to say, possibly even third. "Possibly" being the main word there. Dundee United have a better goal difference as well( albeit only slightly better). You would need to win both your final games to get into 3rd spot and with your current form, I struggle to see that happening.

So in summary, hardly a 'ridiculous thing to say'.

To say we're "possibly out of the running for 3rd" is more redundant than ridiculous really. You're either in the running or you're not and, with 2 games left, we're still in it. 2nd is highly unlikely, but we're still in the running. 3rd is more likely, and we're still in the running.

Your statement just doesn't make sense. We are, as I previously indicated, not out of the running for either second or third. I'll be here for you if you need it explained a third time.

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

No team could lose 10 goals to another team in their league. Not without a few raised questions.

It would certainly be a con10tious result. The kind of thing players might have a wee bet on though.

Guest Back Post Misses

If Falkirk win one of their last two Utd need to win both because of our vastly superior GD. Bearing in mind they can't usually win 2 on the bounce you would have to say we are pretty much nailed on to be 2nd now. Yesterday was huge

Result from Wednesday April 26th:
Hibernian Reserves 3 - 2 Raith Rovers

League Title
Hibs move three further points clear at the top but the title is already won.

Promotion Playoffs
No relevance here, nothing changed.

Falkirk, Dundee United and Morton are all confirmed in the playoffs. Falkirk lead United by a point + GD and Morton are a further 4 points back. Victory over Queen of the South on Saturday would confirm Falkirk for at least 3rd (it would confirm them in 2nd if United don't also beat Dumbarton). In practice a draw would do Falkirk for at least third given their goal difference advantage over Morton. Likewise victory for United over Dumbarton on Saturday evening would clinch at least 3rd for them. The only way Morton can climb the table at all is with two wins and United to get no more than a draw v Dumbarton / Falkirk to lose both their games OR for Morton to draw at Dunfermline while United lose to Dumbarton and then win the head to head the week after.

Relegation
Victory tonight would have taken Raith out of the running for 10th spot but defeat means they remain in it. Dumbarton could in theory finish 10th but it would require two wins for Ayr, Raith to beat St Mirren, St Mirren to beat Hibs and Dumbarton to lose both their games. Seems unlikely. In practice 10th is a three horse race and Ayr must beat Raith or beat Hibs to have any chance whatsoever of getting out of it. If Ayr draw with Hibs on Saturday then Dumbarton and whoever wins the St Mirren v Raith match would be safe. A draw in that one would leave Raith safe. If Ayr lose to HIbs then anything other than a Raith win would mean Ayr were relegated.

Relegation Playoff
Dumbarton, St Mirren and Ayr will all be delighted at James Keatings last ditch free kick!

With three points covering the clubs in 7th to 9th there's everything to play for here and the head to head between St Mirren and Raith on Saturday is massive. If Raith win and Dumbarton pick up a point then St Mirren and Ayr will fight out 9th and 10th in the last week. Anything else will leave this very much up for grabs into the last week.

40 points at this point is certain safety so a win or two draws will do Dumbarton. One point would probably be enough too as it would take a specific run of four results to leave them 9th.

Fixtures for Saturday 29th April:
Ayr United v Hibernian
Dunfermline Athletic v Morton
Falkirk v QoS
St Mirren v Raith Rovers
Dundee United v Dumbarton (5:15pm)

31 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Well done sd keep them coming.

A draw would be enough to confirm 3rd for falkirk against queens as Morton won't make up 12 goals with 2 wins even if we lose to Dumbarton final game but guessing strictly speaking you are officially correct

Good point. Edited to add.

On 2017-4-23 at 19:09, NewBornBairn said:

These things 10-2 be quite rare but it's all looking spookily familiar.

On 2017-4-23 at 19:12, Gaz FFC said:

No team could lose 10 goals to another team in their league. Not without a few raised questions.

It's good to see the legend still lives on.

Archived