Forfar vs Arbroath

Imagine an argument between who has more fans out of Forfar and Arbroath. Sheesh.

Aye its the bald men fighting over the comb thing again.On a % per population in Angus the comb is ours though...or maybe Brechins.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye its the bald men fighting over the comb thing again.On a % per population in Angus the comb is ours though...or maybe Brechins.

Every clubs fans including his has these discussions, were all diddies in the bottom 3 divisions at the end of the day, minus Hubs and United. Doesn't mean you can't talk about it.

I know the demographics of the Forfar support is a source of amusement to the other Angus Clubs and also to some Forfar fans. Many of these old guys have supported Forfar week in week out since the Jerry Kerr era or even before that. As they inevitably pass on are they being replaced one for one? I don't think so. 

We have many fund raising schemes including Lotteries,50/50,buy a brick etc etc but the most obvious long term solution is to get more punters through the turnstiles. We should have a Director whose sole objective should be to achieve this. I don't mean giving free tickets to 5 or 6 year olds who get fed up after 5 minutes but trying to attract school pupils aged 14+  , youths working in the area including Kirriemuir and Blairgowrie and also contacting former season ticket holders .

Let's at least try over a season and see if we can get a few more through the gates.

too much time on my hands, but I'll add to the codswallop and enrich the lives of the Clyde and Berwick fans...

All info courtesy of Multimap, (other search engines are available).

Ground to ground distances.

Arbroath to Montrose - 14.6 miles approx. 25 min light traffic

Arbroath to Brechin - 11.7 miles approx.. 19 min light traffic.

Arbroath to Forfar - 12.5 miles approx. 20 min light traffic.

Brechin to Forfar - 11.1 miles approx. 19 mins agricultural traffic.

Brechin to Montrose - 8.9 miles approx. 20 mins agricultural traffic + worm hole @ Bridge of Dun.

Forfar to Montrose - 21.1 miles approx.. 34 mins?? I haven't a clue how Multimap came up with this one.

Cheers

14 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Which part do you disagree with? :)

I thought the bit highlighted in bold gave that away Simon - Outside of derby games, Montrose have had the biggest home crowd this season out of the 4 Angus clubs. 

Laughable to say the least.

I know the demographics of the Forfar support is a source of amusement to the other Angus Clubs and also to some Forfar fans. Many of these old guys have supported Forfar week in week out since the Jerry Kerr era or even before that. As they inevitably pass on are they being replaced one for one? I don't think so. 
We have many fund raising schemes including Lotteries,50/50,buy a brick etc etc but the most obvious long term solution is to get more punters through the turnstiles. We should have a Director whose sole objective should be to achieve this. I don't mean giving free tickets to 5 or 6 year olds who get fed up after 5 minutes but trying to attract school pupils aged 14+  , youths working in the area including Kirriemuir and Blairgowrie and also contacting former season ticket holders .
Let's at least try over a season and see if we can get a few more through the gates.

Some of the 60s 70s attendances were every bit as low as now so somebody is replacing them or there would hardly be anybody left by now.

9 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I thought the bit highlighted in bold gave that away Simon - Outside of derby games, Montrose have had the biggest home crowd this season out of the 4 Angus clubs. 

Laughable to say the least.

admittedly a fair few tickets were given away to local schools and kids got in for a fiver with an adult but like to see the rest of Angus matching 1,222 v Berwick in January. Yup Simon you was right!!

10 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Some of the 60s 70s attendances were every bit as low as now so somebody is replacing them or there would hardly be anybody left by now.

Montrose had a crowd of 1222 at home to Berwick in January and the only crowd we've had bigger than that in the league was the New Year derby against them.

Without checking every single Forfar/ Brechin home game attendance in the league this season, I think it's fairly safe to say neither of the have had a bigger crowd this year and we definitely haven't.

Simon even their supporters admit that "one-off" game was letting every school in the area in for "nowt" and everybody else got in for a fiver so surely you cannot count that (but i would add i would love for our club to have done that to get some youngsters interested in their local club).

8 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Montrose had a crowd of 1222 at home to Berwick in January and the only crowd we've had bigger than that in the league was the New Year derby against them.

Without checking every single Forfar/ Brechin home game attendance in the league this season, I think it's fairly safe to say neither of the have had a bigger crowd this year and we definitely haven't.

beat you to it

7 minutes ago, OZMO said:

admittedly a fair few tickets were given away to local schools and kids got in for a fiver with an adult but like to see the rest of Angus matching 1,222 v Berwick in January. Yup Simon you was right!!

A great initiative, and something that I've never seen Arbroath try in my 16/17 years of supporting them, which I find somewhat frustrating. As I keep saying, we are the biggest town in Angus and have put some very good sides on to the park for the level we're at in my time supporting the club, but our attendances have never consistently hit the levels they should do. Personally I'd like to see us try and do a lot more with the schools/ colleges and around the town where possible to promote our home games.

2 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Simon even their supporters admit that "one-off" game was letting every school in the area in for "nowt" and everybody else got in for a fiver so surely you cannot count that (but i would add i would love for our club to have done that to get some youngsters interested in their local club).

But you tried to refute the following;

Outside of derby games, Montrose have had the biggest home crowd this season out of the 4 Angus clubs. 

Now that you have been humiliated, you try to shift the goalposts?

5 minutes ago, HeraldSchumacher said:

But you tried to refute the following;

Outside of derby games, Montrose have had the biggest home crowd this season out of the 4 Angus clubs. 

Now that you have been humiliated, you try to shift the goalposts?

Bollocks not changing the goalposts although i may have read the original post wrong in haste, i took it Simon was on about the Mo having the best "average" home support in Angus- if i picked his post up wrong i will admit i was wrong but no-way have i tried to shift the goalposts, if that is what Simon meant then i stand by my statement. 

Anyway this post is getting boring so that is all i will say on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived