The Robert Burns Derby

Guest Flash

I was concerned about the work rate of  the team after the win v Arabs last Saturday; however it soon became apparent that Gary Naysmith's  words about challenging the players had got through and they were up for it. Ayr were unable to get going in the first half and credit must go to our defence and midfield. At HT I was worried about the four or so great chances that had been passed up and thought when Harkins came on that he would strike one of his pearlers for a 1-0 win.

Second half Ayr got more into it and had some joy down their right with the full back doing a good job and forcing a couple of corners. I was getting frustrated watching Dykes trying to win the Robinson kick outs but tbf he was trying to link up with Dobbs when he did win the ball. Tbh I think Dobbie's intelligence was helping him out big time. Eventually though, his flick-on set up the Dobbmeister for a cracking finish. The second goal was just sublime - goal of the season candidate?

As much as Dobbie will hog the headlines, I thought Higgins and Brownlie at the back were immense all game. Well done Connor Murray too; when he came on, he looked really lively. It was 2 going on 4 or 5 by the end. Well done players and manager.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never realised how big cairney and harkins actually are, Does ayr not do some sort of health checks to prevent this?

Whole team played well defense was solid(that could be down to Ayr not doing much). Thought Jacobs done good at Full back again.Rankin was a superb leader in middle of park today,something I thought Ayr missed never saw any leadership in ayrs team and Dobbie what can I say!:) 

Everyone played good but my motm has to be dobs.Shame they couldn't be playing this way a few weeks ago before the run of Falkirk,Dunfermline then Morton games

4 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Never realised how big cairney and harkins actually are, Does ayr not do some sort of health checks to prevent this?

Whole team played well defense was solid(that could be down to Ayr not doing much). Thought Jacobs done good at Full back again.Rankin was a superb leader in middle of park today,something I thought Ayr missed never saw any leadership in ayrs team and Dobbie what can I say!:) 

Everyone played good but my motm has to be dobs.Shame they couldn't be playing this way a few weeks ago before the run of Falkirk,Dunfermline then Morton games

Just one of the many shambles the club is guilty of but don't seem to take action on, even though it's apparent for all to see.

I was concerned about the work rate of  the team after the win v Arabs last Saturday; however it soon became apparent that Gary Naysmith's  words about challenging the players had got through and they were up for it. Ayr were unable to get going in the first half and credit must go to our defence and midfield. At HT I was worried about the four or so great chances that had been passed up and thought when Harkins came on that he would strike one of his pearlers for a 1-0 win.
Second half Ayr got more into it and had some joy down their right with the full back doing a good job and forcing a couple of corners. I was getting frustrated watching Dykes trying to win the Robinson kick outs but tbf he was trying to link up with Dobbs when he did win the ball. Tbh I think Dobbie's intelligence was helping him out big time. Eventually though, his flick-on set up the Dobbmeister for a cracking finish. The second goal was just sublime - goal of the season candidate?
As much as Dobbie will hog the headlines, I thought Higgins and Brownlie at the back were immense all game. Well done Connor Murray too; when he came on, he looked really lively. It was 2 going on 4 or 5 by the end. Well done players and manager.

Agree.

Dobbie outstanding but good to see Higgy and Brownlie play very solidly.

That said if I was an Ayr supporter I would be disgusted with that performance given what was at stake for them.

56 minutes ago, Tam said:

The second goal was just sublime - goal of the season candidate?

It's a candidate, and I'd like to see it again on video to judge properly, but I'd still have both of his goals in the 2-0 early season home in against Falkirk ahead of it. The first one he bent round Rogers with a sidefoot from 20 yards off the post probably just the pick of the three for me.

2 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Can't wait till end of season and all the contenders for goal of the season are from the same player.

Has anyone else scored a contender?Thomas against Dundee united is up there,Anymore?

Jacobs at home to Morton

Just now, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Thought keeper maybe should of done better with that one but take nothing away from the strike

Agree, but it's still a contender, as probably is Dobbie's free kick against Roy Carroll when we played Linfield.

And they won't win, but in context of good team goals and how important they were, I liked all three goals at Easter Road in the League Cup. The third from Dykes especially was a terrific passing move.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

but in context of good team goals and how important they were, I liked all three goals at Easter Road in the League Cup. The third from Dykes especially was a terrific passing move.

When refelecting back on the season that is what we've not had this season,Goals that are important. For example I remember lyles brilliant volley against Falkirk,two seasons ago I think? in that week we won 3 games to confirm playoffs.If there was a important goal vote I'm unsure off top of my head who I'd vote for.(Even tho it's pretty unrelevant but since we were on the topic)

Heres hoping for a better promotion push next season with a Dobbie special in the play off final:thumsup2

The players tried their best imo. It's McCall that needs the rocket for picking a poor team. The balance was all wrong with too many slow/unfit players and others who don't show up for ninety minutes starting. It was like going back to the start of the season where we looked a yard short all over. 

Sorry but can't agree. After the abomination last week they should have been snapping at heels, harrying and firing into tackles from the off. Our fate is obvious from the lack of a reaction.

Don't disagree with the rest you said tbh.

45 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

When refelecting back on the season that is what we've not had this season,Goals that are important. For example I remember lyles brilliant volley against Falkirk,two seasons ago I think? in that week we won 3 games to confirm playoffs.If there was a important goal vote I'm unsure off top of my head who I'd vote for.(Even tho it's pretty unrelevant but since we were on the topic)

Heres hoping for a better promotion push next season with a Dobbie special in the play off final:thumsup2

For 'most important goal of the season' I'd pick the one that's probably been most controversial - the Dobbie free kick at Raith the other week.  Had we lost that game, we'd have been in real trouble.  Thanks to that goal though we didn't, and have produced a couple of good results since to remove the pressure.

Seen us get a few doings at home this season but that was right up there with Raith spanking us on opening day and Dunfermline cruising to a 2-0 win at Somerset.

Very, very disappointed in the players and manager. Paul Cairney is our best all round midfielder yet he's constantly shoved out wide where he's ineffectual and rarely gets a touch. The front two were abysmal and Murphy had a bit of nightmare, which isn't surprising given McCall has hardly played him.

Saying all that, I'd still expect our boys to look at bit sharper given what's at stake. They didn't get close to stringing a move together and everything broke down about 30 yards from goal. QotS were different class and unfortunate not to be 4-0 at half time - some Fleming magic and poor finishing saved us.

Fear for us now, can't see where we're getting our next point from.

Higgins played well again today, he is possibly playing for a contract and he prob just about deserves it, lost his place and club captaincy when Naysmith came in (must av been hard) but he has bounced back well since being dropped and has always shown the desire to do well for Queens.

Archived