• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think I'm pretty reasonable, as football fans go. I'm not reactionary.

That, however, was fucking embarrassing. Genuinely angry that a series of individuals and events have conspired to see those eleven men out on a pitch under a banner of Raith Rovers, masquerading as a football team.

£17 to see players make elementary mistakes, that would infuriate a childrens' coach, time and time again.

This may sound self-indulgent, and it may be self-indulgent, but I honestly believe the Rovers support are owed an apology. Eric Drysdale keeps urging people to come and watch the Rovers. If I invited someone round to watch that game on the telly I'd apologise to them before they went home, and I'm not the one responsible for the whole fucking charade.

As a whole, the Rovers support have been incredibly supportive of the players this season, if not always the previous manager. Previous squads have had a lot more flak for a lot better performances.

Make no mistake, there have been worse teams in this club's history, but I'm not sure there's ever been one that's so pathetic.

The responsibility, ultimately, lies with the board, and the 'Chief Executive' who has sculpted this horrible season with an almost incisive incompetence. He must either present a radically different plan for the future, or step aside so someone else can.

At least we're a week closer to this monumental clusterfuck of a season being over. 

Yep. Good luck selling season tickets after this debacle of a season. That's a hard sell.

I'd like to think I'm pretty reasonable, as football fans go. I'm not reactionary.

That, however, was fucking embarrassing. Genuinely angry that a series of individuals and events have conspired to see those eleven men out on a pitch under a banner of Raith Rovers, masquerading as a football team.

£17 to see players make elementary mistakes, that would infuriate a childrens' coach, time and time again.

This may sound self-indulgent, and it may be self-indulgent, but I honestly believe the Rovers support are owed an apology. Eric Drysdale keeps urging people to come and watch the Rovers. If I invited someone round to watch that game on the telly I'd apologise to them before they went home, and I'm not the one responsible for the whole fucking charade.

As a whole, the Rovers support have been incredibly supportive of the players this season, if not always the previous manager. Previous squads have had a lot more flak for a lot better performances.

Make no mistake, there have been worse teams in this club's history, but I'm not sure there's ever been one that's so pathetic.

The responsibility, ultimately, lies with the board, and the 'Chief Executive' who has sculpted this horrible season with an almost incisive incompetence. He must either present a radically different plan for the future, or step aside so someone else can.

Although I'm not one of your favourite posters, but that post was beautiful

Surely it was a red card for Thomson in the first half? High studs and very late. Looked a stick on red.

What a penalty by Higginbotham. McIntyre-esque.

We were struggling to get in behind Raith the full first half and I can't remember us having any decent chances although we did dominate.

Second half was a different story. Still dominated but we were creating clear-cut chances. Nicky Clark missed two golden opportunities and their keeper pulled off a couple of decent saves. Clark was quite poor today; didn't seem to cause a bother up top and the game passed by him. Should have been a lot more comfortable.

Nat, Morris and Higgy all contenders for MOM imo. Would give it to Nat "the Kante of Scottish football" Wedderburn because I fucking love him.

No shame in admitting Wedderburn is unreal, absolutely blows my mind that we're in a relegation fight, playing our rivals and we're 1-0 down and we don't just chuck the kitchen sink at it

We don't have a kitchen sink to throw.... and if we did, we would miss.

29 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

This sums it up perfectly. We were described on the radio as 'abject'. I have nothing to add to that assessment.

Hate to say it but Jason Thomson's legs have gone. Can't defend properly and no longer has pace going forward 

No shame in admitting Wedderburn is unreal, absolutely blows my mind that we're in a relegation fight, playing our rivals and we're 1-0 down and we don't just chuck the kitchen sink at it

There's more to it than that, though. You need to have some sort of game plan, or angle, which is going to put your opposition on the back foot. We've got nothing. Wide players who don't go past their man or provide a cross, strikers who aren't that big, strong, quick or that good at finishing. Central midfielders who hide every time the full backs get the ball and don't create any chances. It's all fine and well saying, "throw the sink at it", but if you can't hurt your opposition it'll just come back at you.

19 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Surely it was a red card for Thomson in the first half? High studs and very late. Looked a stick on red.

What a penalty by Higginbotham. McIntyre-esque.

We were struggling to get in behind Raith the full first half and I can't remember us having any decent chances although we did dominate.

Second half was a different story. Still dominated but we were creating clear-cut chances. Nicky Clark missed two golden opportunities and their keeper pulled off a couple of decent saves. Clark was quite poor today; didn't seem to cause a bother up top and the game passed by him. Should have been a lot more comfortable.

Nat, Morris and Higgy all contenders for MOM imo. Would give it to Nat "the Kante of Scottish football" Wedderburn because I fucking love him.

Not late, just over the top of the ball. Still a red. If it had been Talbot it'd have been a red I'm sure.

IMG_2446(edit).jpg

Solid performance. Deserved the win. Full backs were incredible. Wedderburn bossed the game - loved him shielding it in the corner at the end. McMullan deserves a mention for the work he put in. Constantly chasing back and winning the ball.

Raith were shocking. Our goal never seemed under threat. Hughes' insistence on passing the ball about the back cost him I think. He was moaning at his players if they lumped it forward, even when chasing the game. Totally bizarre. Doesn't seem like he realises they're in a fight. Not the time for 'pretty' football, and it meant we kept getting settled into position, making us hard to break down. Raith' keeper made a great save from Moffat and 2 from Clark.

How did Jason Thomson stay on the pitch? On a booking already, he gave away the pen with a challenge from behind. Higginbotham was booked for a similar challenge. The referee also indicated that Thomson dived to try and win a penalty, then refused to give him a second yellow for it... McHattie also pulled up for pulling McCabe back on the breakaway and not even spoken to, never mind booked. Referee was inconsistent and, to be fair, we also benefitted from some questionable decisions. Really frustrating when referees are that bad though.

Overall, I'm happy with that. I really doubt that we'll have derbies with Raith next season.

57 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Also don't get the hype about that catering, had a sausage roll and he was minging.

Because you had a sausage roll... why would you do that when there are bridies or even macaroni pies available? 

Anyway, the game. Meh. Looked like two poor teams - we should be finishing off dross like Raith but as we've seen so often this season we can't create good enough chances and when we do we hit them straight at the keeper. Seriously Nicky, didn't anyone ever tell you to head it back across the keeper? I was actually worried Raith were going to equalise, either through a set piece (why did McHattie take that one in Skacel territory?) or a penalty (I'm pretty sure that shout in the second half was a strong one - looked to me like his feet were clipped).

The ref had a mixed game, notwithstanding that decision. Not giving a second yellow to Thomson, not giving a foul when (not long after the penalty appeal) Davidson launched into a bad tackle, not sending him off for barging into him at the end, not adding much (any?) time on at the end of the first half despite two stoppages, but he wasn't the worst we've seen this season.

Think we're safe now; hopefully the wee team can stay up and if I could choose I'd rather St Mirren went down. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Archived