St Mirren v Dumbarton 8th April 2017

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Leave aside other glaring inaccuracies, what's this part about?

Player overreacted in the first instance to get him the booking; then immediately after that, at a Saints freekick, a Dumbarton player (no 5 I think) was all over Stelios to such a level that the ref paused play and went in and warned them both.

His temperament isn't actually that suspect, but he looks like the kind of player who could be wound up and last thing we needed was for him to react to something and pick up a second yellow.

I said at that point Ross should get him off, and Ross did.

Player overreacted in the first instance to get him the booking; then immediately after that, at a Saints freekick, a Dumbarton player (no 5 I think) was all over Stelios to such a level that the ref paused play and went in and warned them both.
His temperament isn't actually that suspect, but he looks like the kind of player who could be wound up and last thing we needed was for him to react to something and pick up a second yellow.

Unless it's in the highlights I'll need to bow to your description here because despite watching the entire game I have absolutely no recollection of anything of that nature happening.

11 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

The penalty, whichever way you look at is, definitely isn't blatant. Maybe it was one (I don't think so as I've already said) but it's definitely not blatant. Having seen the replay, I'm still not sure I can see what it's been given for.

I don't recall many on here complaining about the booking of Harvie, I certainly didn't. It's more the fact that the referee and linesman didn't seem to see his actions, but he's been booked on the say so of Loy, which is so galling and ridiculous.

How do you know that?

Officials are all mic'ed up.

Standside linesman clearly later used that system to tell him about something our backroom staff had said.

As bad as the ref was, I find it a tad unlikely that he'd book one player purely on the word of another?

How do you know that?
Officials are all mic'ed up.
Standside linesman clearly later used that system to tell him about something our backroom staff had said.
As bad as the ref was, I find it a tad unlikely that he'd book one player purely on the word of another?

It just seems coincidental if the assistant waited until after Loy had pointed out Harvie as being responsible for a bit of naughtiness and then booked him. Why wouldn't the assistant let his colleague know sooner?

Unless it's in the highlights I'll need to bow to your description here because despite watching the entire game I have absolutely no recollection of anything of that nature happening.

Do you really not remember the ref going in and warning Stelios and a Sons player just before Stelios got subbed?

Wonder what else you've missed/forgotten :-)!

Do you really not remember the ref going in and warning Stelios and a Sons player just before Stelios got subbed?
Wonder what else you've missed/forgotten :-)!

Warnings from referees happen relatively often in football, the one you speak of certainly doesn't stick in my mind at all, strangely enough.

The same could be said of yourself if you've been concentrating so hard on players' celebrations and referees warnings!

It just seems coincidental if the assistant waited until after Loy had pointed out Harvie as being responsible for a bit of naughtiness and then booked him. Why wouldn't the assistant let his colleague know sooner?

He could well have done so while the ref was dealing with the massed protests about the penalty award, and dealt with it after he'd sorted that out?

Could even be Loy said something to the ref, and the ref asked the stand side linesman if he'd seen something.

As I said, can't believe a ref at any level would book a player on the word of another - "honest guv, he did it!".

Warnings from referees happen relatively often in football, the one you speak of certainly doesn't stick in my mind at all, strangely enough.

The same could be said of yourself if you've been concentrating so hard on players' celebrations and referees warnings!

It was a long way away from you, so maybe you didn't see what caused it, or realised the potential implications.

Thankfully Jack Ross did.

He could well have done so while the ref was dealing with the massed protests about the penalty award, and dealt with it after he'd sorted that out?
Could even be Loy said something to the ref, and the ref asked the stand side linesman if he'd seen something.
As I said, can't believe a ref at any level would book a player on the word of another - "honest guv, he did it!".

Could be, could be, could be.

The truth is, we'll probably never know. But it certainly seemed to come directly after Loy's 'advice' which does just seem very coincidental, I'm sure you can see why it seems that way.

With regards to your last comment, usually I'd agree, but such was his incompetence yesterday, I wouldn't be too surprised!

59 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Through all of the nonsense you have spouted on this match thread, this is the worst. Stelios was all over our 'keeper at every corner and at a couple of free kicks he was as much "all over" our players as they were him.

They were both at each other. It happens all the time in football and your accusation of painting our player as a big baddy "trying to get him sent off" is simply ridiculous.

Jack Ross took him off because if anyone was going to get him sent off, it was himself and not the big bad Dumbarton players.

This accusation is up there with the Ayr fans claiming our player (big bad no. 5 Gregor Buchanan) deliberately fell on top of one of their players in an successful attempt to injure him.

5 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

Through all of the nonsense you have spouted on this match thread, this is the worst. Stelios was all over our 'keeper at every corner and at a couple of free kicks he was as much "all over" our players as they were him.

They were both at each other. It happens all the time in football and your accusation of painting our player as a big baddy "trying to get him sent off" is simply ridiculous.

Jack Ross took him off because if anyone was going to get him sent off, it was himself and not the big bad Dumbarton players.

This accusation is up there with the Ayr fans claiming our player (big bad no. 5 Gregor Buchanan) deliberately fell on top of one of their players in an successful attempt to injure him.

Is it any more stupid a suggestion than the one where Rory Loy apparently performed some kind of Jedi mind trick on the ref to get Harvie booked for something everyone in the ground saw him do?

51 minutes ago, GAD said:

Is it any more stupid a suggestion than the one where Rory Loy apparently performed some kind of Jedi mind trick on the ref to get Harvie booked for something everyone in the ground saw him do?

Just to put this to bed

i know he did it from witness evidence. He deserved booking for doing it regardless of how that transpired .

just to correct you on one point. I was there but didn't actually see it as I was watching ref deal with Vaughan . I must have been the only one according to you

god bless

Our players trying to get Stelios sent off by having the audacity to be fouled by him.

I'd understand it if we were Joe Garnering around him, or surrounding the ref at every foul, but the reasoning being that the ref spoke to him and Buchanan about grappling at a free-kick is hilarious.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yes. Completely different. The difference being, right in clear sight of everyone in the stadium Rory Loy went moaning to the ref and pointing at Harvie. Watch our (very decent) highlights if you wish to see it again.

Archived