Rutherglen v Irvine Victoria

Westender1904

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be clear, Rutherglen, were the better team, created the bulk of chances and with a bit more composure in front of goal could have had the game over in the first half hour. If the final score-line was still 2-1 and the goals came as a result of those chances, I would have had no complaints. However you don't win games on the number of chances you create, but on goals scored and up until the 85th minute, that was the case, loads of chances but no goals. The equaliser was a bit of a disaster for our keeper who had been excellent up till then. 

The award of a penalty in the those circumstances, (96th min of the game), after putting in a battling performance with 10 men, against a really good footballing team, was harsh. The Vics player is turning his back on the ball being played in from 2 yards in front of him, and in that movement the ball strikes his hand, when he isn't watching the ball. 98 times out of 100, (Wullie Collum  and this ref being the exceptions)that will not be awarded, not in the 1st minute never mind the last. The assistant had a better view than the ref  and never flagged for it.

Loads of people will have viewed the video and offer different opinions. IMO opinion at the time I didn't think it was a penalty from where I was standing(next to Gerry who was filming). The video does not show a deliberate handball, which should be the only factor in awarding a penalty for a "handling offence". (hand to ball as opposed to ball to hand)

Hopefully we can rectify this result in the return fixture.

T

PS if we are taking the video as conclusive evidence, check when the Vics player, who got sent off, picked up his first booking "for diving"! 

You have one of the quickest players on the park, breaking from the midfield, who whilst running at pace knocks the ball forward and the fullback puts a tackle in from the side, yet the ball doesn't change direction. He fully connects with the attacking player, who might have  anticipated the challenge coming in,but not the ball and yet our player gets booked.

1. Assistant referees don't wave their flags for penalty kicks, they put their flags across their chest to signal to the referee to award it.

2. Tony Fraser did not make contact with David Adam for the first booking, and Fraser's reaction at the time (shouting "that's embarrassing") summed up that incident.

1. Assistant referees don't wave their flags for penalty kicks, they put their flags across their chest to signal to the referee to award it.

2. Tony Fraser did not make contact with David Adam for the first booking, and Fraser's reaction at the time (shouting "that's embarrassing") summed up that incident.

Obviously looking through Glen tinted specs he did make contact and it should have been a foul to Vics. A good game spoiled by match officials

I'm afraid the vics boys are wrong here.

Where the boy puts his hands (up and to the side) is seen as an unnatural position, when the ball hits hit ( even though he doesn't move his hand to the ball) a foul is committed.

In my opinion the vics player has got to be braver and stand up (keep his hands by his side ) and let the ball hit him.

Obviously looking through Glen tinted specs he did make contact and it should have been a foul to Vics. A good game spoiled by match officials

Oh yes, I'm unashamedly pro-Glencairn in my thoughts, but are you not just a little bit biased in the other way as well ? I call everything as I see it, as I'm sure you do as well. I don't know where you were standing during the match, but at the time of that incident I was on the other side of the pitch to the camera and had a much clearer view. I can assure you that Fraser didn't touch him.

Archived