Favourite and worse junior football away ground

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My ideal frankenstein stadium - 

Irvine Meadow's stand on one side, Pollok's enclosure on the other, Talbot's pitch in the middle, Beith's pies in the pie hut, Cumnock's enclosure behind each goal, and Rob Roy's internet fans banned from attending. 

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

My ideal frankenstein stadium - 

Irvine Meadow's stand on one side, Pollok's enclosure on the other, Talbot's pitch in the middle, Beith's pies in the pie hut, Cumnock's enclosure behind each goal, and Rob Roy's internet fans banned from attending. 

Carlsberg springs to mind .

Newlandsfield has to be my favourite. Helps that I've never seen us lose a game there. Maryhill is also a great ground to watch a game.

Petershill is a bit of a wind tunnel, but the worst I have been to was Bellshill before they moved to their current place. When we beat them there and won promotion in 2011 it was a terrible set up from a supporters point of view.

The 2 worst things about Petershill were

1. the pitch (and thankfully it has been replaced)
  2. that rather bizarre netting in front of the stand.

If they have managed to lose that whilst putting in the new pitch then it will be a tidy wee set up.

I've always liked Perthshire, especially when the locals offer you some of their Ribena infused champagne, it has character.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Newlandsfield has to be my favourite. Helps that I've never seen us lose a game there. Maryhill is also a great ground to watch a game.

Petershill is a bit of a wind tunnel, but the worst I have been to was Bellshill before they moved to their current place. When we beat them there and won promotion in 2011 it was a terrible set up from a supporters point of view.

If I remember correctly that game was played at the Matt Busby Complex,a truly dreadful place to watch a game but,sadly,where Bellshill had to make their home at the time.

Incidentally,I think some of comments re the Rockburn are a tad harsh considering the time the club has been there and that it is,afaik,another temporary home which lets the club play in the town until the new park at the Academy is ready.

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

If they have managed to lose that whilst putting in the new pitch then it will be a tidy wee set up.

I've always liked Perthshire, especially when the locals offer you some of their Ribena infused champagne, it has character.

Yup,I've always enjoyed my visits to Keppoch Park,a good Junior ground with some good Junior folk at the helm and when they finally get round to making the bust of wee Billy Adams,I just hope that they don't let Manny Santos get anywhere near it.:)

13 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

If I remember correctly that game was played at the Matt Busby Complex,a truly dreadful place to watch a game but,sadly,where Bellshill had to make their home at the time.

Incidentally,I think some of comments re the Rockburn are a tad harsh considering the time the club has been there and that it is,afaik,another temporary home which lets the club play in the town until the new park at the Academy is ready.

I think you are right, I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of it but now you have said it, it rings a bell. It was definitely down the side of a sports centre.

2 hours ago, Jason King said:

If I remember right the netting was put up due to seats in the stand continually being broken by wayward shots when the park was divided into three 7-a-side pitches playing across-ways.

When it first opened the whole stand was seated - it's now just the middle section that is thanks to the amount that were trashed by the 7s. The nets were still there to protect the remaining bit of seating last time I was there.

If I remember right the netting was put up due to seats in the stand continually being broken by wayward shots when the park was divided into three 7-a-side pitches playing across-ways.
When it first opened the whole stand was seated - it's now just the middle section that is thanks to the amount that were trashed by the 7s. The nets were still there to protect the remaining bit of seating last time I was there.

Yep, the net was put up to protect the seats. We were promised it would be taken down for our games but in usual Glasgow Life style that was shortlived.

Hopefully the seats will be replaced by benches eventually and the net can then go too.

The seats last longer now since I don't play 7s any more. [emoji16]

A know that, just heard that maybe your new home next season

Perhaps, nothing set in stone yet but I can see the sense in it if so. Obviously right now and the past few seasons Rossvale have shared Petershill making a 3rd team difficult unless the league expanded to Sunday football, Friday nights or later kick offs on a Saturday. Is it fair on Cumbernauld to keep using their ground as we know well the pitch isn't the greatest in the world. We have a backlog of games building due to pitch being waterlogged. December I think was the last game we played at Guy's Meadow. So maybe it will be Petershill maybe it won't but it would make perfect sense to use it seeing as it is an all weather pitch and Rossvale will be away back to Huntershill by then

My favourite ground is Lanark, because I am biased. I like watching games at Lesmahagow.

My least favourite grounds are any with an artificial surface and those that sell pies bought from a supermarket rather than a local butcher or baker.

I enjoy visiting junior grounds .The volunteers who help maintain these grounds are real stars.With little moneyband no personal reward these people do what they can to make things better.Grounds people who against all odds,in all weathers,doing work that you never see.
The ticket,raffle sellers,pie stall,rubbish lifters,people who put the nets up/down,admin, the list goes on .
Its their ground ,and they do a great job .

Archived