Favourite and worse junior football away ground

Favourite away grounds -

Pollok (great surface & always a good atmosphere)

Kilsyth (again , a great surface & a 'proper' junior ground if you know what I mean.

Irvine Victoria (we play the vics every year pre season , & it's always a great wee day out to start the season.

least favourite (no offence)

Petershill (used to love the old Petershill park)

Rutherglen (used to love the old southcroft)

New Tinto park (used to love the old Tinto Park)

I'm sort of stuck in a time warp

:whistle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the cavernous old-style grounds too - not many now left bar Cambuslang, Larkhall and Pollok - as well as the quirky ones that look as though they've been handbuilt in stages, my favourite example of that style being Coupar Angus where they've used some old bus shelters as cover and so on.

Not so keen on the new-build types - Renfrew's the best of the new ones, and I reckon the Bens will be good once the cover's up, but the likes of the new Petershill don't do it for me. Least favourite experiences - again no offence to the clubs - have been at Carluke (miles from the railway station, miles from the action thanks to the running track and almost invariably blowing a Force 8 off the hills) and Gartcairn (maybe a bit unfair as the only time I've been there was when most other games were off and it was snowing, making for a truly miserable afternoon due to the exposed position and lack of cover...I remember asking a friend I met there if MTC Park stood for Much Too Cold)

It's become a lazy, reflexive reaction to say Peasy when this question comes up without thinking about the alternatives. Peasy, despite its issues with "soul" and the surface still beats any ground where you get soaked standing watching a game.

A venue that doesn't offer cover to fans isn't really fit for purpose in the Scottish climate and can hardly be described as atmospheric with no acoustics to boost the crowd noise. Try watching a game at New Elgin (assuming it's still as grim as when I was there) and then try to argue that Peasy is worse.

I do think folk are way over the top in criticism of Petershill new park. The new surface is seemingly much better, guaranteed games on .
Other facilities are decent, Ok Glasgow life interfere but that's life nothing is perfect.
The worse thing about it is it's positioned at the top of a big hill and is more exposed to the elements which can spoil the game and make it a bit grim for fans.

If this new league proposal goes through and we are playing more league games Petershill will be in a good position and have little problem completing fixtures and have the option of midweek floodlight games.

Where my own club are at the moment i would love a good quality 3g and they are becoming just that good quality and a nice new stand with all the new facilities just in a more sheltered area which i think ours will be.

These new stadiums have imo have a better chance of attracting the regular or semi regular new supporters .

2 minutes ago, rednblack said:

I do think folk are way over the top in criticism of Petershill new park. The new surface is seemingly much better, guaranteed games on .
Other facilities are decent, Ok Glasgow life interfere but that's life nothing is perfect.
The worse thing about it is it's positioned at the top of a big hill and is more exposed to the elements which can spoil the game and make it a bit grim for fans.

If this new league proposal goes through and we are playing more league games Petershill will be in a good position and have little problem completing fixtures and have the option of midweek floodlight games.

Where my own club are at the moment i would love a good quality 3g and they are becoming just that good quality and a nice new stand with all the new facilities just in a more sheltered area which i think ours will be.

These new stadiums have imo have a better chance of attracting the regular or semi regular new supporters .

I agree to an extent - our lot had been building up a bit of a head of steam this season in attracting new supporters, but yesterday it was noticeable after the run of weather-related postponements we've had that crowd-wise we were pretty much back to just the die-hards...hopefully we're past the worst of it and the new punters will start coming back if they know the games are defo on :)

The thread was more about favourite away experiences than rating the facilities though; while I appreciate the likes of Peasy and so on are probably the way forward ground-wise and on paper the facilities are first rate, it's still rare I go there and actually really enjoy the game.

I agree to an extent - our lot had been building up a bit of a head of steam this season in attracting new supporters, but yesterday it was noticeable after the run of weather-related postponements we've had that crowd-wise we were pretty much back to just the die-hards...hopefully we're past the worst of it and the new punters will start coming back if they know the games are defo on [emoji4]
The thread was more about favourite away experiences than rating the facilities though; while I appreciate the likes of Peasy and so on are probably the way forward ground-wise and on paper the facilities are first rate, it's still rare I go there and actually really enjoy the game.

Yesterday I was at Peasy and I think the experience was great. I'd been a couple of times watching Rossvale games which back up people's claims of it being "soulless" and I watched Rob Roy play there in the summer but I appreciate it was only a pre season friendly at the height of holiday period.

But yesterday the stand was packed and there were a few folk behind the dugouts, there was a great level of noise as well as a good game of football too! Certainly one of the best visits I've had to the place. Bring back the "Peasy Ultras" lol

1 hour ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Yesterday I was at Peasy and I think the experience was great. I'd been a couple of times watching Rossvale games which back up people's claims of it being "soulless" and I watched Rob Roy play there in the summer but I appreciate it was only a pre season friendly at the height of holiday period.

But yesterday the stand was packed and there were a few folk behind the dugouts, there was a great level of noise as well as a good game of football too! Certainly one of the best visits I've had to the place. Bring back the "Peasy Ultras" lol

Are dugs still banned at Petershill?

14 minutes ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Haven't saw any in the few times ive been up so I'd think so

Suppose it makes a change from the days some old grumpy committee man chased after the wains that skipped in.

Saw that in a few grounds over the years.

Bizarre.

Suppose it makes a change from the days some old grumpy committee man chased after the wains that skipped in.
Saw that in a few grounds over the years.
Bizarre.

Reminds me of Adamslie, used to jump the wall instead of paying the £2.50 [emoji1]

Considering the number of Senior Citizens that go to the Juniors, Petershill and those stairs up to the stadium must be a no no.

Is it not a early Astro not 4G council wil make a mint out of it.

The pitch was very poor when they played KRR no social club for a pint sorry. I know it's not easy and it's a great wee club

No problem everybody entitled to their opinion fair doos usually our surface is in good condition and never off with rain

I've done almost all of the West Region and fair bit of the East - next to bugger all of the North mind you - but I have to say picking a favourite isn't easy.

Most of the suggestions I'd agree with as being a favourite. I hate to talk about worst grounds as each ground has it's own reasons or otherwise as to why it is as it is.

Certainly some grounds are in need of a bit of TLC but in terms of facilities one of the best is Longside. One of the poorest was Aberdeen Lads Club - merely because the park was 200 yards away from the changing rooms and pie stall !

Tidiest by far is Hilly Beef - God forgive you if you dropped anything on the ground there !!!!

The old Western park in Renfrew was easily the worst in the Central area but the new version is up there with the better ones. Showpark? in East Kilbride now claims the booby prize, a truly awful venue for players and spectators alike. It isn't the clubs property but surely a town the size of East Kilbride could come up with a better venue than this.

A lot of good ones now in the West Region, Auchinleck, Cumnock and Troon in Ayrshire are all excellent. Yoker/Clydebank is an improving venue and I always liked Millburn although now quite a few years since we have been there.

Duncansfield? Modesty forbids my saying anything!

18 hours ago, Gartcairn Army said:

Best for me is Linlithgow Rose

worst is Bellshill

bellshill is a nlc ground just like yours and as a club are only 2nd season bk in the town give the guys a chance

Archived