Kickstarter

21 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

To be fair, on a practical basis the Burj Khalifa was difficult. The three gorges dam was difficult. It's only in Scotland where a weekly fanzine is difficult. No offence, but I don't see that as a legitimate concern. The concern is whether folk will pay 10p on their way to see their team.

I mean the content would be variable, but I'd happily pay 10p to find out a bit about the lower league teams. It's hard enough finding out how Danny Harvie is getting on at Dumbarton on the internet. Plus, there's still a large percentage of folk who aren't active online.

Sound, so you're advocating producing a weekly magazine/newspaper, which has 'variable' content, at 10p a go, to be distributed the length and breadth of the country, with volunteer writers producing broad enough stuff to provide interest to all 42 senior clubs, with a three day turnaround to print? 

Sound, barge on big chap. Put me down for issues 1-50.

21 minutes ago, lewisnorthfield said:

What sells fanzines isnt just news. Agreeably it would be outdated fast. Thats why you fill it with opinion pieces, topics of discussion and potentially interviews.

For example, its easy to say "Duffy and Lennon had a bust up pitchside in response to a bad tackle" but what provides good content is "Should the fouling player be reprimanded, Who instigated the bust up or even Who is justifiable in this position"

Or just throw in a crossword to keep the elderly occupied

I entirely agree, but Fanzines (or any fanzine I've seen) aren't weekly, and are generally very club specific, because its delving into things that are happening to your club. There is undoubtedly a market for more general things, as the Nutmeg and such has shown, but these take weeks and months to produce, because they have to be of a higher standard to grow and develop.

More crosswords in general, would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, lewisnorthfield said:

I feel like what you might want to take a look at is The Absolute Game. Its this old fanzine from the 80s and 90s that focused on non-old firm scottish football. Heres a link to some copies with preview pages.

https://www.scribd.com/collections/2622127/The-Absolute-Game

That was good back in the day. Enjoyed many an article. I'd buy something like that, fan based and not journalist driven. No idea how practical your suggestion would be to implement, but thanks for raising the idea for discussion.

There is a market for this sort of thing as the Non-League Paper and its sister titles show. But they are costing £1.50 an issue, weekly and selling about 30k copies. Given the company who run that run many papers, their sums are probably spot on so you're talking costs of up to £30k an issue once distribution, printing, content and marketing are all covered.

It might take off if it's lucky but it needs someone willing to drop £100k on it to get it in newsagents, marketed and keep it rolling for the first couple of months to see if it's viable. Can't see anyone doing that, IMO, unless the guys at Greenways Publishing were to be involved somehow.

9 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Does anyone think it's a goer, to create a weekly newspaper that is written by the fans and sold at grounds on a Saturday?

No.  Even if it was a Metro-style free paper I doubt the economics would work out.  I'd be interested, too, in feedback from @Divre. the landing page for http://www.pieandbovril.com/ which is a decent attempt to collate Scottish football news which I suspect almost all of us ignore.  I suspect most posters don't even know it's there until the forum goes tits-up.

9 hours ago, Illgresi said:

This is a simple idea, derived from the same feelings I'm sure we all have. The atrocious quality of media we have to suffer in this country, and the numerous high quality (respectively) blogs that comment on Scottish Football, there must be a better voice for the common football man (woman).

Does anyone think it's a goer, to create a weekly newspaper that is written by the fans and sold at grounds on a Saturday?

I know there likely wont be any groundbreaking information within, but it could be a public vessel for dissemination of opinion that is oft skirted over by the MSM. If it worked, it'd also be a giant f**k you to the likes of the R****d and the S*n.

Just a thought...

Scottish fitbas bloggers in a weekly paper.

The Sevco times ...

Archived