Moving House Question

Gaz

When you said "The Viz" rather than "Viz", it just made me think of a comparison with "The Rangers".
Poor quality gag that's even poorer when I explain it [emoji20]

You indeed whooshed me. Respect. Glad to find that Viz is still going strong. Although it may have made the few copies I have from circa 1990 to have increased in value. I'm sure I didn't chuck them in my last house move.

Removal men are clearly adept at this sort of thing.

We moved about 25 miles down the A9 a few years ago and were up at the crack of dawn, everything ready to go, waiting for the removal men to turn up at 0800 as agreed. By 0830 I was on the phone giving them earache. Their pathetic excuse was that one of their guys "had a sore back". I said ok, were you going to phone and let me know? "Ummm, no".

I may have used a few swear words at this point, which he mumphed about, causing a few more to be used. The company were from Stirling, I'll remember their name if I have a look.

Fortunately my old man gave me a run into Perth where we hired a van, a Boxer maybe. I then spent the day ferrying up and down the road, loading and unloading, about 4 times. Seething doesn't come close.

Regarding the old address, the family that moved in were understanding enough to allow us to keep stuff in the garden (it was a nice day) until I could get up and down the road. They could of course have told us to get it onto the street once they started moving in about midday.

• 2 years later...

f**k it, i'm making this a "moving house thread" since I can't see one otherwise and am in need of advice.

Looking at buying a wee 1 bed place in Dumfries and with the mortgage interest added in, the cost nearly goes up by a third. I guess that's true for everyone though right, so even though I'm getting a house worth say 60,000 and with the mortgage i'd be paying 80,000 - that's pretty much unavoidable unless you pay for it in cash? When it comes time to sell, you just have to hope that the value has risen to 80,000, or you've made that much with renting it out, etc. Is that right?

7 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

f**k it, i'm making this a "moving house thread" since I can't see one otherwise and am in need of advice.

Looking at buying a wee 1 bed place in Dumfries and with the mortgage interest added in, the cost nearly goes up by a third. I guess that's true for everyone though right, so even though I'm getting a house worth say 60,000 and with the mortgage i'd be paying 80,000 - that's pretty much unavoidable unless you pay for it in cash? When it comes time to sell, you just have to hope that the value has risen to 80,000, or you've made that much with renting it out, etc. Is that right?

You'll be paying a lot more than that if the interest rates go back to "normal" levels, but you have to compare it with how much you'd pay to rent for 25 years or whatever, with nothing to show for it at the end.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Only if you plan on paying the mortgage off before you move, i think?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

You'll be paying a lot more than that if the interest rates go back to "normal" levels, but you have to compare it with how much you'd pay to rent for 25 years or whatever, with nothing to show for it at the end.

Thing is I'll be buying it as somewhere cheap to go when I'm in between jobs (trying to do paid project work in London then take 2-3 months off here and there to build my own business), and AirBnB it the rest of the time. So I guess it's a worthwhile investment if Airbnb income + value when I sale = more than what I've paid in the mortgage.

Just now, Margaret Thatcher said:

I'm exclusively looking at mortgages with no early repayment charges, but I think the total I have to pay will be the same whether it goes the term or not, unless I'm mistaken.

The faster you pay the less interest you pay, although as a proportion on the monthly bill the start of the mortgage will be almost exclusively interested but as you lay more and more off you'll be paying off more of the property.

4 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Thing is I'll be buying it as somewhere cheap to go when I'm in between jobs (trying to do paid project work in London then take 2-3 months off here and there to build my own business), and AirBnB it the rest of the time. So I guess it's a worthwhile investment if Airbnb income + value when I sale = more than what I've paid in the mortgage.

I thought about the AirBnB thing recently, key is finding a really reliable and meticulous cleaner for the turnarounds, especially if you're down in London.

14 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

I'm exclusively looking at mortgages with no early repayment charges, but I think the total I have to pay will be the same whether it goes the term or not, unless I'm mistaken.

I think you're mistaken (No disrespect meant).

You are only charged interest for the duration your mortgage is in force.

Depending on the type of mortgage you take depends how your interest works out while you're still paying it, but you won't be charged future interest if you repay early (either thru lottery win or selling, or whatever).

15 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I think you're mistaken (No disrespect meant).

You are only charged interest for the duration your mortgage is in force.

Depending on the type of mortgage you take depends how your interest works out while you're still paying it, but you won't be charged future interest if you repay early (either thru lottery win or selling, or whatever).

Fair enough, that's good to know. Thanks!

I thought about the AirBnB thing recently, key is finding a really reliable and meticulous cleaner for the turnarounds, especially if you're down in London.

In 20 years time there'll be a thread on PnB about my dad took me on holiday to Dumfries because his dad took him on holiday to the Strathclyde Hilton and misery loves company.