Moving House Question

Gaz

My wife and I are moving house on Monday but we've been let down by our removal company. Struggling to find someone else at short notice.

I can get a van no bother but the problem is that the stuff we've got will take more than van load and I'm not sure how that will work in regards to exchanging the keys. I don't imagine the buyers of our house will be too happy at me coming back and forth into the garage to get it.

I'm thinking of phoning the lawyer and getting them to ask the sellers of our new house if we can have access to their garage in the morning so that I can take stuff over in dribs and drabs.

Anyone experience of doing this? Not sure if this is a done thing or not.

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My wife and I are moving house on Monday but we've been let down by our removal company. Struggling to find someone else at short notice.

I can get a van no bother but the problem is that the stuff we've got will take more than van load and I'm not sure how that will work in regards to exchanging the keys. I don't imagine the buyers of our house will be too happy at me coming back and forth into the garage to get it.

I'm thinking of phoning the lawyer and getting them to ask the sellers of our new house if we can have access to their garage in the morning so that I can take stuff over in dribs and drabs.

Won't happen. What if your foot slips off the brake on to the accelerator and you drive through their garage, in to a wall and then the house falls down?

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Won't happen. What if your foot slips off the brake on to the accelerator and you drive through their garage, in to a wall and then the house falls down?

Speaking from experience?

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Speaking from experience?

Yes, I asked a similar question years ago. Your access is from a particular time for a reason. Once that time has passed any f**k ups are your responsibility. The owner might do it, but his lawyer will advise against it. What if his garage burns down with your stuff in it before the exchange?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

43 minutes ago, Gaz said:

No harm in asking, most normal people would say ok. Contracts will have been exchanged, so no risk either side. They'll be sympathetic being in the middle of moving themselves, or tell you to GTF as they need the garage themselves. 

Edited by welshbairn

9 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Contact the British association of removers and see if they can recommend someone to help you out. We had a removal company try to cancel on us at 2230hrs the night before we moved house, wasnt a very wise move from him.

200.gif

9 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Parents moved last week and they just spoke to the owner and asked if they could start the moving process a few days before, guess it depends on the kind of person the current owner is.

Yep - they will also want the move to go ahead as smoothly as possible so  will likely do something to help out.

Shite situation to be in. We moved just over a month ago, removal company were due to come at 1 - it was only when we phoned them at 1:20 that we found out they'd cancelled on us. Phoned around and got someone who could come at 3 that day who also charged less than the first company, which was ridiculously lucky.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I have to admit that the question hasn't moved me at all. #emotionless

Previous time I moved was during the big freeze in about 2010. Removal truck couldn't get any closer than about a third of a mile from the house so had to abandon all the furniture. I then spent the next few days carrying heavy bits of furniture through the ice and snow, fuelled only by rage.