Summer dealings

On 01/04/2017 at 21:40, Michael W said:

It really depends what league we're in, but I'll be delighted come the end of the season when it comes to the end so we can empty the squad and start again. It's never a good sign when players within your own squad irritate you the moment you see their names, but that's how i feel with several of our current squad. 

As pointed out above, the following are under contract for next season. 

Kevin Cuthbert
Jason Thomson
Kyle Benedictus 
Craig Barr
Ross Callachan
Ross Matthews
Iain Davidson
Bobby Barr
Mark Stewart
Lewis Vaughan

I wouldn't be at all sad to see a couple of them invited to find other clubs regardless of whether or not we stay up. 

Of the rest, the only player I'd definitely keep is M'Voto, and there's no way he'll be staying with us next season. There are arguments for maybe a couple of others staying if we're relegated, but I'm not really that fussed if they go.

I will take particular delight in seeing Skacel, McManus and Roberts leave.  

Based on this season, only guys I am happy are signed up are Cuthbert, Bene and C Barr, solid base whatever league we are in. Mathews and Vaughan have done little wrong either so fine with them still being around.

I love JT as a player but since new year and his return from injury he has been shadow of former self. 

Bobby Barr hasn't had a good game in 4or5 months.

Callachan has failed to live up to potential, wouldnt miss him and certainly wouldn't miss Davidson

Another player I like is Stewart but in the cold light of day, he doesn't score enough and he is out injured far too often

As you mention, only two others to approach pass marks are JYM and Hardie, both are still far from finished article though and I wouldn't lose any sleep if both are gone for good in summer...

I dream of the midfield clear out, so bloody many of them all underachieving or constantly injured

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need rid of dross like Keatings, Holt and Graham. Our goals scored record this season has been dreadful. McLean will be away. Ambrose won't be staying and I doubt Shinnie will either. 

I'd keep McGregor, Stevenson, and Bartley from the remainder that are out of contract. Think Fyvie will be one that's definitely away, he's not had a look in for ages now. 

Devlin is quality, would like to see him at the Pars. 

For us it's too early to say I think if we stay up we need to clear out around ten or so players simply not up to the standard or on the way down.

Hutton

Williamson, he's had enough time. Not improving.

BRE

Fordyce

Hopkirk

Paton

Cardle

McCabe?

Moffat? needs to add more goals but he is a brilliant link up man.

Martin? Useful but needs to get better.

Geggan, had his time. Legend but we need to progress.

Must sign up McMullan and Higgy, Nat, Clark and Murdoch if not signed up already. I'm not sure about Herron lately. I think he's got a glass ankle.

Really not too far away with the right signings we could make the playoffs.

Right back, Herron replacement ball player, replacement if nat gets injured,two new wide players. Two new strikers. Two centre halfs or utility defenders.

Murdoch

new Morris new or Ashcroft Talbot or maybe new

nat

mcmullan new Higgy 

clark new

If our current best eleven were to sign up we would do well but struggle with replacements and maybe get sussed out with basic 4-4-2. Could do with signing up players to try 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 away from home.

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

Behave.

He rejected an offer from an unnamed premiership club(believed to be Patrick)at the start of the season and Hearts have been sniffing about him so pipe down. 

29 minutes ago, Zing. said:

We need rid of dross like Keatings, Holt and Graham. Our goals scored record this season has been dreadful. McLean will be away. Ambrose won't be staying and I doubt Shinnie will either. 

I'd keep McGregor, Stevenson, and Bartley from the remainder that are out of contract. Think Fyvie will be one that's definitely away, he's not had a look in for ages now. 

Wouldn't mind us getting Keatings in. 

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Wouldn't mind us getting Keatings in. 

He can obviously score goals at this level but needs very regular game time. His head goes down too easily when it's not going his way. Would be extremely surprised if we kept him. 

He can obviously score goals at this level but needs very regular game time. His head goes down too easily when it's not going his way. Would be extremely surprised if we kept him. 

He's no had much luck in recent years. Been part of two successful promotions (about to be three) but hasn't been taken to the next level yet.

Keep:

Derek Gaston: Prone to the odd clanger, but a very good keeper for this level. Under contract.

Mikey Doyle: Wasn't expecting much when he signed, but he has been fantastic. A leader at the back, and loves the 'ton.

Thomas O'Ware: In my opinion, the most consistent defender in the league. Absolutely fantastic for us, and another leader at the back. Under contract.

Lee Kilday: Solid at centre half, hasn't featured as much this season, with the signing on Gunning earlier in the season, but when called on has been great. Under contract.

Mark Russell: Not his best season by far, but the boy has so much potential. Under contract.

Ricki Lamie: Another solid defender for us, would keep him as cover for CB/LB.

Andy Murdoch: The white Kante, breaks up play and doesn't give the opposition any time on the ball, a must keep.

Michael Tidser: Probably the best midfielder I've saw at Morton, oozes class and wouldn't look out of place in most Premiership teams, IMO.

Ross Forbes: 12 goals 19 (?) assists, 'nuff said. Outstanding this season. Under contract

Jai Quitongo: A revelation for us this season. Didn't look up to much for the reserves on the wing, Duffy played him through the middle and he's been absolutely brilliant. Pace, power and knows where the goal is. Already had quite a few teams sniffing about. Under contract.

Gary Oliver: A breathe of fresh air, when he plays, we play. His link up play and movement is second to none. Another player that teams are sniffing about. Under contract.

Punt:

Kudus Oyenuga: Bring him back as Chairman in the future. Not good enough to play in this league, IMO.

Jamie McDonagh: Was great at the start of the season playing right back, but has lost his way since his red card at St Mirren.

Jon Scullion: Loads of potential but yet to prove it in the first team,

Conor Pepper: Good player when fit, but really unlucky with injuries.

Out of all the loans we have, I'd love to keep Aiden Nesbitt and Jamie Lindsay, both players have been fantastic especially the latter. A huge part of what we're trying to achieve this season. Punt Shankland and Donnelly back to their respective clubs.

If there's one player to sort a players attitude would be Duffy. If he gets punted, a team that challenge the play offs wouldn't be a bad team to go to. However I reckon a team like Thistle or County would be a good foil for him.

Morton fans - if we get promoted (big if) would we see a return of Chris Millar? Wrong side of 30 but would add Premiership experience and still has a bit of class around him.

3 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Morton fans - if we get promoted (big if) would we see a return of Chris Millar? Wrong side of 30 but would add Premiership experience and still has a bit of class around him.

Apparently his appearance today (his 300th for us) triggered an extension clause in his deal. Hes lost his first team spot, so might fancy a move for regular games, but I get the feeling he still feels capable of playing in the top flight. Another European campaign might influence him into staying too

From the pars squad I'd

Murdoch - keep

Hutton - punt

Gill - keep (as number 2)

Williamson - punt

Fordyce - keep

Ashcroft - keep

Morris - keep

Talbot - keep

BRE - punt

Martin - punt

Geggan - keep

Wedderburn - keep [emoji7]

Cardle - keep (decent back up)

McCabe - punt

Higginbotham - keep

McMullen - keep

Herron - keep

Paton - keep (decent back up)

Spence - punt

Clarke - keep

Moffat - keep

Reilly - punt

Hopkirk - punt

Solid keeper but think gill is good enough to cover when needed.

Central defence is strong and left back but we're weak at right back and no decent cover for left back after Talbot. Would love us to possibly sign Devlin and i would take mvito from Raith if Morris was to leave.

Don't really think our midfield is that bad. Maybe couple fresh faces to strengthen Especially in the middle.

We need a few strikers in tho. Wouldn't mind Hardie from Raith and although he's a bawbag I'd take Graham from hibs.

Iv no doubt missed out a few players but it's all i could really think of just now without googling it.

Obviously this is just my opinion and others will disagree but i couldn't give a f**k [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

All the guys on the first list are out of contract, all on the second aren't (yes Coll Donaldson unbelievably has another year on his contract to go). Bit of a lottery as to who we will offer an extension. What the fans want and what the club will do are two different things. We know that van der Velden is retiring and Andreu will go back to Norwich (plus Mikkelson and Nicholls back to their clubs). Personally I can see us releasing Zwick, van der Struijk, Murdoch. I've heard a couple of rumours that we are offering Dillon a predominantly non-playing contract but that he might want to leave to do other things. I think Dixon will get offered an extension as will Flood, Murray, Telfer and Spittal.

What we need in the transfer window IMO is - 

Right Back x 1

Central Defender x 1

Defensive Midfielder x 1

Wingers x 2

'Number 10' x 1

Strikers x 2

I think we will also see at least two of our Development team promoted to first team duties.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 08.41.22.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 08.41.41.png

David Goodwillie will be looking to step up to a new team next season. Anyone interested? 

He isn't the type of player I'd like at The Pars, but he could still do a job for anyone in this league. ;)

10 hours ago, Zing. said:

He's a good player at this level but I doubt we could afford his wages never mind Morton. I'd expect him to sign for a bottom 6 premiership team.

Archived