The Robert Thomson Derby

Our need for three points has probably never been greater during our five seasons in this division. Nade is suspended, as is the Bot, meaning that - you guessed it - Thomson will be expected to play a big role for us as our only, real, striker.

How he'll react to playing against the team he'll be joining in the summer will be crucial to us getting any sort of result here, Harvie and McCrorie returning is a big boost, and we don't know about Barr - although we looked better when he went off. Given our poor record against the 'Ton (and at home) I have the fear that we'll be in 9th come 16:45.

Alan Martin

David Smith Tom Lang Gregor Buchanan Daniel Harvie

Stuart Carswell Ross McCrorie

SeaGal Sam Stanton Andy Stirling

Robert Thomson

A failure to get three points this week will make the St Mirren game a horribly important encounter. I'm already worrying about it :lol:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be easier to predict how this will go after seeing how the team react to the weekend defeat tomorrow night. Noticed Thomson has been banging them in since he signed his PCA. Hopefully a good sign for the future. The one thing we've lacked this season is a goal scoring striker. 

Hopefully he takes it easy against us on Saturday though :rolleyes:

I reckon if robbie, gary and nade were to go for a sauna together robbie would emerge like some uber striker with ice in his veins, the softest of first touches and an arse you could break nuts on. UberThom would then run riot for the rest of the season and rip up mortons pca to sign for st johnstone in the summer.

3 hours ago, Scosha said:

Will be easier to predict how this will go after seeing how the team react to the weekend defeat tomorrow night. Noticed Thomson has been banging them in since he signed his PCA. Hopefully a good sign for the future. The one thing we've lacked this season is a goal scoring striker. 

Hopefully he takes it easy against us on Saturday though :rolleyes:

He's scored most of his goals playing wide left for us. We'll be needing him to pitch in with some more this weekend albeit from a centre forward position. I'm hopeful with Harvie back and us being able to move Stanton further forward that we can get something. To be honest I don't give a shit how we play, results are everything now.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

My fears echo SO8 if we don't win this we are in all sorts of trouble. St Mirren then becomes a proper must win and they seem to be improving unfortunately

At the end of last night we now have a mini league of 3 teams to worry about. We start level with Ayr and slightly ahead of St Mirren. All we have to do is pick up more points between now and the end of the season than the other 2. If we do so, then we stay up.

How's Gallagher been for Dumbarton? 

As Moonster suggests, he's not had much game time but there could be a decent player in there somewhere.

He's got a decent touch and while he didn't do anything on Saturday, he was playing upfront on his own which is a tough position to play at the best of times.

St Mirren's still going to be a must-win whether we win this one or not.

This. If we can take something from a very strong Morton side on very decent form aside from their last result, then it'd be a great result. But it's the St. Mirren game that could make or break us. Ayr play St. Mirren this weekend and they also play Raith on the last day, so if we can take another three points in the St. Mirren game, it'd be a huge step towards achieving safety.

At the end of last night we now have a mini league of 3 teams to worry about. We start level with Ayr and slightly ahead of St Mirren. All we have to do is pick up more points between now and the end of the season than the other 2. If we do so, then we stay up.

That's very true, but we have a pretty tough set of games left. As I've said above, the St. Mirren game is huge, but as they and Raith (albeit slowly) are improving, we'll need to take points off Morton, Queens or The Pars as well, which we don't have a great track record against.

Dumbarton tend to beat us once a season in a shan Morton performance, usually occurring at their ground. Duffy may well choose to rest one or two players after Wednesday's exertions; if Shankland plays up front, the chances of a home win are massively boosted. 

It's a game that we need to win in order to tighten our grip on second place but for the above reasons I wouldn't be surprised if we lost. I'll go for a scrappy, set-piece based 2-1 win.

What happened?

Bad tackle, feigned injury after a head to head, Lennon runs on rippin' it to confront the Morton player, lights go out, loud smash of glass blasts through the tannoy, JR goes wild and the baddest SOB in Scottish football comes running over to Lennon and dishes out a stunner.

See below.

Barely made contact! CHEAT!! @sweendan RT https://t.co/5yVuS4NrFP

Archived