Coins on tarmac

What's the lowest value coin you'd pick up?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was walking back to my Kia Ceed last night when I noticed a £2 coin gleaming on the pavement.   I choose to leave it and headed back over the Forth road bridge towards the best part of Scotland. But it started to niggle me on my journey home.  That could have purchased some Mr Kipling.  That could have been the winning Euro millions ticket I very much crave!

So I took what I can only describe as an excellent move for my overall well-being, and slowed down from 87mph to 56mph for exactly the last 26 miles home.  This way I managed to save £2 from petroleum, which exactly wiped out any perceived financial gain and I didn't have have to pick up from the tarmac.   Essentially I had the last laugh.  

So this morning I thought I'd run a wee experiment and I've scattered 8 coins 1p-£2 around the carpark of the Ferry Road, Morrisons.  I'll be returning after work to gather evidence from my case study.   

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Find a penny, pick it up. All day long you'll have good luck.

Pass it on, to a friend, then your luck will never end

(c) McGonnigal

21 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This is all relative. If I only have 40p in my pocket and saw 10p I'd think "That'll get me a can of IRN BRU"

...and your 50p would only get some warm BRU from the very worst establishments.  It's all relative...

Pick it up, give it to someone who needs it. Unless you've got crippling arthritis or something.

Amazing how many folk just chuck shrapnel on the floor.

I went for 20p, but that's assuming it wasn't covered in dog shit or anything. My reason is thus:

• How long would it take to identify it is a coin worth picking up, ascertain it's not covered in ming, then to bend down, pick it up and put it in your pocket? Perhaps 10 seconds. 
  • Working that out as an hourly wage, 3,600 seconds in an hour = 360 x 20p pieces = £72 per hour. 

Would I take a job picking up coins at £72 per hour? You're damn right I would. 

Did someone not start a near identical thread to this quite recently?

Aye something along the lines of "What's the smallest amount you'd pick up from the ground?"

I'd pick up anything from 20p upwards. 10p would be dependent on my mood at the time.

Anyone saying they wouldn't pick up 50p/£1/£2 is talking shite.

I'd just pick up the coin, any coin, and think.. "Yay..". 

The only exception would be if it was a manky verdigris coated copper one.

And unlike someone recently on the news , I'd probably not pounce on a £20 note

on the floor of a shop, shouting "Yesssss....".

My dad once spotted a 50p piece on the ground just outside the fire station in McDonald Road. (This was back when 50p would buy a pint.) He tried to pick it up only to find it was glued down. Then he spotted the firemen lined up at the window, pissing themselves laughing...

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

My dad once spotted a 50p piece on the ground just outside the fire station in McDonald Road. (This was back when 50p would buy a pint.) He tried to pick it up only to find it was glued down. Then he spotted the firemen lined up at the window, pissing themselves laughing...

Up until recently, my local had a pound coin super-glued to the ground for the same reason!

Archived