FAroe Islands

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Was never tempted to go before, thought was just a few boring rocks in the Atlantic. That's immense. Not a bad goal either.

It's not boring at all.  It's one of the most picture-esque countries I've ever been to.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:51, The Mantis said:

We're going back mid-June for a whole week. Mrs Mantis has already put her foot down regarding the helicopters :lol:

Going to spend 2 nights in Suduroy this time. The price of the helicopter was very reasonable considering it's over 2 hrs on the ferry. Should make a couple of games too.

Well you need to get her told that the helicopter is brilliant!

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Are the pubs and restaurants decent?

Not so much :whistle

That place in the photos is Fuglafjordur. There's a guy named Poul who runs a restaurant/pub called Muntra. Once he finds out you're Scottish (well maybe not you) he shows you all his souvenirs from when Scotland ate there in 2002. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I see Steve Marsh has been over to the Faroes. One video posted up, more to come.

I’m very tempted, verging on hitting “book”. Wee bit out of my comfort zone, but I need to break my habit of Scottish Islands / European city breaks! 

Will likely be booking up for next Spring as I will need my holiday year to roll forward first. 

I went there for 3 nights last week and took in their qualifier against Albania. It is a stunning place and enoyed my stay, but I felt that I probably needed the full week to see the place properly. I also don't drive, so was reliant on the bus service, which is reliable, but buses are few and far between outside Torshavn. No wonder so many folk got off the plane and headed straight for a hire car. The prices of pints weren't as bad I was expecting. The dearest was 75 DKK in the Irish Bar in Torshavn. The cheapest was 30 DKK in a spit and sawdust fishermen's pub in Klaksvik. I got lucky with the weather. It rained a few times, but nothing compared to the biblical rain that hit Hampden last week.

Edit - their Oyn Oy pilsner is fanstastic. Every pub sells it and I even bought a multipack from the duty-free on the way home.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

13 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I went there for 3 nights last week and took in their qualifier against Albania. It is a stunning place and enoyed my stay, but I felt that I probably needed the full week to see the place properly. I also don't drive, so was reliant on the bus service, which is reliable, but buses are few and far between outside Torshavn. No wonder so many folk got off the plane and headed straight for a hire car. The prices of pints weren't as bad I was expecting. The dearest was 75 DKK in the Irish Bar in Torshavn. The cheapest was 30 DKK in a spit and sawdust fishermen's pub in Klaksvik. I got lucky with the weather. It rained a few times, but nothing compared to the biblical rain that hit Hampden last week.

Edit - their Oyn Oy pilsner is fanstastic. Every pub sells it and I even bought a multipack from the duty-free on the way home.

I had 3 nights split between Torshavn and Klaksvik on my first visit in 2016, but went back with Mrs Mantis in 2019 for a full week. Spent two nights in Suðuroy which is 2 hours on the boat from Torshavn. I had more flights booked but the Covid put paid to that.
Knocked up this wee YouTube movie which is about 8 mins long. I think the first bit of music by Yggdrasil is wonderful, but even if it seems a bit boring, it segues into Arcade Fire halfway through…

Edited by The Mantis