FAroe Islands

We were searching for a summer football weekend and found cheap (ish) flights to the Faroes, so are now giving it serious consideration as the times are amenable to our work patterns.

Anyone been and, if so, what are prices (beer, food and accommodation) like in comparison to the UK? Also interested in what to do recommendations when there.

4 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

I think [mention=41669]The Mantis [/mention]might be your man to help you out AFJ emoji106.png

Shameless Plug

Expensive ok but cheaper than Iceland. Brexit hasn't helped, some of my things were booked before the vote and the pound went down.

Best just to suck it up, you won't regret going. Great place, stunning. About the size of Shetland so weather less stable than Iceland. Don't forget the beer - also better than Iceland and I found the people more friendly. 

I think [mention=41669]The Mantis [/mention]might be your man to help you out AFJ [emoji106]

8 mile visited the Faroe Islands once but wants to go back as he never had time to visit the Pyramids.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

What's the deal with currency in the Faroes?  I'm going there in June and was reading that they have their own money.  I assume this would have to be ordered in advance, but will regular Danish money do?

Haven't been but I think it's the same as Scotland, different notes but Danish coins, both sets of notes universally accepted. I'd spend or change any Faroese notes before you leave, probably hard to change them off the islands or maybe in Denmark.

Spoiler

Ok, was curious so I googled it. :lol:

CURRENCY
There are two currencies of equal value in the Faroe Islands: the Faroese króna and the Danish krone. While the Faroese government prints its own bank notes, only Danish coins are used. Danish notes are equally acceptable as Faroese notes throughout the country.

The series of banknotes comprise five denominations: 50 kroner, 100 kroner, 200 kroner, 500 kroner and 1000 kroner. The coin (only Danish) series comprises six denominations: 50 øre (cents), and 1, 2, 5, 10 and 20 kroner.

There may be a few places in the major towns that accept foreign currency, but this is more likely the exception than the rule, and, unsurprisingly, the exchange rate is rarely favourable. Exchange rates for the Faroese (Danish) króna as of May 2016 are roughly: DKK 100 = €13.4 / £10.6 / $15.6.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

What's the deal with currency in the Faroes?  I'm going there in June and was reading that they have their own money.  I assume this would have to be ordered in advance, but will regular Danish money do?

Danish krone is fine

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

P.S. When are you going to Bergen? Any tips would be welcome, might be going August/September.

Im there most weeks  monday -friday ;)

Edited by doulikefish

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Im there every monday -friday ;)

Was thinking of late friday-early monday. :P

Any tips on bars and not outrageously expensive places to stay? I'm talking minimum single room in a hostel here rather than stars.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Was thinking of late friday-early monday. :P

Any tips on bars and not outrageously expensive places to stay? I'm talking minimum single room in a hostel here rather than stars.

Citybox hotel is cheap (norwegian cheap) and cheerful.Look for the bars with a chalkboard outside for drinking that basically means its happy hour (or 2 ) and beer is loads cheaper.Around the harbour is pretty decent for a night out but its not exactly massive

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 12:24, Highland Capital said:

I got back yesterday.  Really enjoyed.  The scenery is amazing and as a country it's like nowhere else I've ever been.  A lot more to do than people might realise actually.

I've never been, but wanting to go. How was the weather? Seems like from the bits I've read/seen, that the haar is constantly in! 

Place looks amazing, and really put Scotland to shame in everything from technology to fitba - for an island of 50k, they regularly punch above their weight e.g 4th in the last Euro and WC campaign! 

3 hours ago, Kejan said:

I've never been, but wanting to go. How was the weather? Seems like from the bits I've read/seen, that the haar is constantly in! 

I came back sunburnt!  The day I went to Mykines (pronounced Meech-Ness) was very misty but I saw hundreds of puffins!  The Sunday was about 15 degrees and very sunny.  Went by helicopter that day from Torshavn to Klaksvik (twinned with Wick!) and watched KI beat B36 3-1.

• 11 months later...
On 11/06/2018 at 19:13, Highland Capital said:

I came back sunburnt!  The day I went to Mykines (pronounced Meech-Ness) was very misty but I saw hundreds of puffins!  The Sunday was about 15 degrees and very sunny.  Went by helicopter that day from Torshavn to Klaksvik (twinned with Wick!) and watched KI beat B36 3-1.

We're going back mid-June for a whole week. Mrs Mantis has already put her foot down regarding the helicopters :lol:

Going to spend 2 nights in Suduroy this time. The price of the helicopter was very reasonable considering it's over 2 hrs on the ferry. Should make a couple of games too.